Peter Jackson and The Star Club Tapes.

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
WOA76

Re: Peter Jackson and The Star Club Tapes.

Post by WOA76 »

bit hard hear but interview with Ted
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Chris
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

It's all explained in the article. A domestic 4 track tape machine means that it allows four separate tracks to be recorded across the width of the tape - 2 on side A, 2 on side B. In truth, this is called a quarter track recorder, not 4 track. This is not like a studio 4 track where all 4 tracks can be recorded separately to build up a recording.

The copy Ted made was not going to be all that great quality wise going from one domestic recorded to another. I don't think it would be as good quality as the 1973 tape (made by Allan Williams) transferred professionally on good quality equipment. The 1963 tape was sent back to Ted. Both tape machines mentioned do still exits and were kept by Ted. Both, along with the reel sent to Brian, were put up for auction some years back. But failed to sell. See here - http://webgrafikk.com/blog/uncategorize ... -and-tape/

The RK14 is now in Roag Best's Beatles museum, -
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

WOA76 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:01 am

Ted changed his story regularly, so interviews sometimes aren't accurate - It was 60 years ago mind, so he can be forgiven for not remembering everything correctly. I haven't listened to the whole of this one, so don;t kow how accurate this one is - sometimes they were, sometimes they weren't
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

WOA76 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:05 am
This is where the original Star Club rumour comes from in the first place. You can tell he would want the original master to work from - which Apple DON'T have. Larry still has it. Just because he says he wants to do it, doesn't mean it's actually happening!
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Bazilnerk wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:40 pm It's all explained in the article. A domestic 4 track tape machine means that it allows four separate tracks to be recorded across the width of the tape - 2 on side A, 2 on side B. In truth, this is called a quarter track recorder, not 4 track. This is not like a studio 4 track where all 4 tracks can be recorded separately to build up a recording.

The copy Ted made was not going to be all that great quality wise going from one domestic recorded to another. I don't think it would be as good quality as the 1973 tape (made by Allan Williams) transferred professionally on good quality equipment. The 1963 tape was sent back to Ted. Both tape machines mentioned do still exits and were kept by Ted. Both, along with the reel sent to Brian, were put up for auction some years back. But failed to sell. See here - http://webgrafikk.com/blog/uncategorize ... -and-tape/

The RK14 is now in Roag Best's Beatles museum, -
Roag great guy I have on Facebook talked to him last night wish him Happy Birthday as his birthdays todday.....

about 4 track i couldnt find info it thank and knew Roag got it
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Bazilnerk wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:43 pm
WOA76 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:01 am

Ted changed his story regularly, so interviews sometimes aren't accurate - It was 60 years ago mind, so he can be forgiven for not remembering everything correctly. I haven't listened to the whole of this one, so don;t kow how accurate this one is - sometimes they were, sometimes they weren't
thanks for replying all this means a lot

i have learning disability the Star Club stuff means a lot and know Ted personally makes even more
Chris
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Bazilnerk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:18 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 pm We know that the Harrison estate has a copy of the Star Club tape made in 1973. There's bits heard in living In the material World and they sound fantastic. So I would guess that is why Apple were not interested in Grossberg's copy - they already have access to a perfectly good one.
But is it complete? - The known information is that the 1973 copies were excerpts and not complete, but who knows.
Yeah you're right, it almost certainly wouldn't include the other bands and maybe not even the little bits and pieces of sets by the Beatles. If Alan Williams made it I wouldn't be surprised if he held stuff back from George.
If I were Jackson, i'd want to go to the fullest and closest to the original source. Possibly even look at seeing if they can get any of the original to play.
The original would probably play fine if it were baked first. It could also be cleaned with isoprople alcohol. I have a machine which is like a video cassette rewinder and cleans a videotape, so don't see why it wouldn't work for audio.
I still think this is all just conjecture and wishful thinking. - I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but still think it's just a rumour.
As far as i can tell it's all based on two unrelated pieces of information: one, where Peter says (very hypothetically) in a youtube interview that he'd like to try and demix the tape; two, where he said in a different interview he was working on something that was Beatles related and stretched technology to the limits. But the rumours ignore the fact that Apple was always trying to get these tapes off the market and are hardly likely now to change tack and do a 180 degree turnabout, even with Peter on board. Mind you, he could do something utterly fantastic with these tapes, by making use of our transcript, MAL and animation or whatever. And I think the public would find it very interesting to watch especially if it was framed with some historical material. But is the will and imagination there from Apple?
WOA76 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:45 am """Barber set up Taylor’s reel-to-reel at the side of the stage and connected it to a Sennheiser microphone hung from the ceiling of the club."""
Now not to wantonly disagree with the experts, but i do have a problem with this. I've seen a very long document written by Barber where he goes into fine detail about everything at the club but at no point does he mention a suspended microphone. Also, listening to the tape it seems to me that the microphone position changes between sets. Also, it seems to be off to one side and picking up John's amp more than George's, which is a problem if it were suspended from the ceiling. And if it's hanging from the ceiling, why can't we clearly hear the sound of people talking on the dance floor? Everyone sounds a long way away, like the mic were tucked away somewhere unobtrusive. I also have a problem with the notion of the recorder being left permanently to the side of the stage. I own a Philips EL3541 machine and it is a bloody good recorder, and makes fantastic quality recordings even at 3&3/4ips. In 1962 it cost the equivalent of 1000 pounds, and it is not something you'd just leave lying around for anyone to pinch or spill beer all over. If I had just bought that machine, I would guard it with my life. It'd be straight back under lock and key at the end of the day. It seems more likely to me that it came out only occasionally, and for a specific reason. I sure as hell would not be comfortable leaving any piece of extremely expensive gear of mine in the unnattended company of rock musos, not for a second. I think it is easy for Ted to say it was just left lying around for anyone to use when they wanted, but it's more like an easy quote and doesn't ring true to me.

Also I might point out that the EL3541 came with a free 5 inch reel of Philips double play tape, capable of recording 64mins on each of the four tracks. So I suppose this is the actual tape that the recordings are on and the "Philips" reel in the photos is the original and the "BASF Magnetophband" box is from somewhere else. The Philips tape came in a light blue box.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Liverpools Boy

Post by Liverpools Boy »

Bazilnerk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:18 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:00 pm We know that the Harrison estate has a copy of the Star Club tape made in 1973. There's bits heard in living In the material World and they sound fantastic. So I would guess that is why Apple were not interested in Grossberg's copy - they already have access to a perfectly good one.
But is it complete? - The known information is that the 1973 copies were excerpts and not complete, but who knows.
These Excerpts, Clips, etc can be heard in the Savoy Truffles title from the Helter Skelter label with some reverb but in good quality, are a bit short but are present with the speed corrected at last. The songs are:

Shimmy, Shimmy
Roll Over Beethoven
A Taste Of Honey
and Nothin' Shakin' (But The Leaves In The Trees)
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Like I said before I hypothesized maybe by time 31st come around
The recording equipment wasn’t all there but some parts were and he just used Ted’s reel to reel and had equipment

I think it’s on Lou set that had DvD and you see footage from a TV show and if look at it it’s Tony Sheridan playing also it was neat seeing Beatles stuff in footage I sent screen snaps to Ted ask few question and he told a funny story I never heard

He said one night Paul came out on stage his suit jacket on and super big on him due Ted’s size that wouldn’t funny seee

Anyhow Thank you Lou for hard work and Blazilnerk for the write up
Chris