Industry Researcher Has Never Seen So Many Disc Releases — the Majority Bootlegs

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
theboxinargentina

Industry Researcher Has Never Seen So Many Disc Releases — the Majority Bootlegs

Post by theboxinargentina »

(Off topic a bit and this is about movies but may be of some interest here)

Ralph Tribbey, founder and publisher of The DVD and Blu-ray Release Report, has been tracking the number of annual releases on disc since the inception of the DVD format — and he’s never seen as many disc releases as he’s seeing this year.

The majority of them aren’t coming from the studios or other legitimate sources — they’re being released by bootleggers. The pirates, or “helpers” as Tribbey wryly calls them, are filling a void in the marketplace as the studios have turned away from physical media to concentrate on streaming.
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/industry- ... -bootlegs/
ksantus

Re: Industry Researcher Has Never Seen So Many Disc Releases — the Majority Bootlegs

Post by ksantus »

It seems we all want to hold something in our hands, not just in our computers and phones. Every media type is booming now with the resurgence of Vinyl, DVD's and CD's. I love reading and studying on line, but holding an LP in my hands and reading through all the liner notes while the music plays is just so satisfying!
Lord Reith

Re: Industry Researcher Has Never Seen So Many Disc Releases — the Majority Bootlegs

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah, it's because slowly people are beginning to wake up to the great con being perpetrated.

If physical media ended tomorrow, streaming rates would skyrocket and switch to a pay-per-song model. They're biding their time until that happens.

You've always got to ask what the end game is. In this case the end game is complete control of everything, with no one owning anything and forced to pay through the nose to rent it over and over again.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:10 pm Yeah, it's because slowly people are beginning to wake up to the great con being perpetrated.

If physical media ended tomorrow, streaming rates would skyrocket and switch to a pay-per-song model. They're biding their time until that happens.

You've always got to ask what the end game is. In this case the end game is complete control of everything, with no one owning anything and forced to pay through the nose to rent it over and over again.
Very true. Remember, these are the same people that got us all to switch to digital/HD TV and distracted us from the fact that they were also taking away the general consumer's ability to record things with a VCR (or true VCR equivalent).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

dascottjr wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:42 pm Very true. Remember, these are the same people that got us all to switch to digital/HD TV and distracted us from the fact that they were also taking away the general consumer's ability to record things with a VCR (or true VCR equivalent).
Yes, that's another good example.

We've kind of come full circle. Originally, you could only rent movies. Then they started selling them until they became increasingly affordable and people built up big home libraries till it became quite a normal thing. Now people are literally throwing away all their cds and dvds so that they can stream it online with the justification that it is cheaper in the long run. But now that streaming has taken over, all the streaming giants are increasing their prices, call ordinary redbook audio "super" quality and using that as an excuse to create very expensive high tier plans. And like I said, once they've got people where they want them, out will go the blanket subscriptions and in will come pay-per-listen. This is the way big business works. You gradually add new tiers and then cripple the functionality of the older free or less expensive tiers, until people are forced into paying for the premium product. And then everyone will complain and say, "oh you screwed us" but it'll be too late because all their old cds will be in landfill.
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

I keep envisioning a time when music files will be keyed. We won't be able to listen to them (or listen to them with decent quality) unless we pay to unlock the file key. Music files that can't be keyed will be obsoleted, like VHS.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ronson wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:10 pm I keep envisioning a time when music files will be keyed. We won't be able to listen to them (or listen to them with decent quality) unless we pay to unlock the file key. Music files that can't be keyed will be obsoleted, like VHS.
Very possibly, yes.

I can also imagine a time when people can be locked out of streaming altogether for holding, say, the "wrong" political views. Access to music and video could end up becoming a powerful way of controlling people's behaviour.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Industry Laziness Is The Easiest Way To Get Your Wallet Opened says forum member, Kwai Chang!
I really hate talking about myself in the 3rd person...especially on my very own forum on my very own island...
I need some good luck
I need a best friend
I need a rough dog
a week on two islands!
A diet that works!
Remember what would happen if we missed?
Meredith Brooks does.
I'm a BITCH!
I can't speak.
Would your hand go down my pants?
Would I run away?
Well, as fast as I can-----> Imperialism cannot be created or destroyed...
ONLY changed from one form into another.
Nostalgia...send in the clowns, the frowns, and The Crown?
Recognize anything?
Yessss! You do!
This is that.
Some is none!
Over is under.
Somebody stole my mind.
They say they can't find...
what is mine!
(what IS mine???)
Blind man, crazy man, he can't see.
Why do they always look at me?
If it's true,
then we are too.
Solid brass statuary on the floor
There's no key because there's no door!
Does the Grinch think that Christmas really comes from the store?
Da vu do rei! Da vu do rei...Welcome Christmas. Christmas Past!
Don't be fooled! Don't be deceived! It's all plain English. All you need...is to read.
Between the lines...on the wall...pages on fire...the well's run dry???
That doesn't even rhyme...and, now, it's time.
Remember, there was a rumor, then it became a cause,
and then, they ran out, but...then, there was no pause.
There were 12 months of Christmas and now oh, dear.
It's nearly August...it' practically HERE!
This is really called old movie...new title(AIR CONDITIONED)
If it's really good, just sleep through it twice!
Who knew? Asphalt + gun-powder -----> polyvinyl chloride + guitar strings -----> iTunes(Bot) + Streaming
(There won't always be Pith Helmets)...just, The Crown.
Or, call it what it really is: PUFF(spin!!!)
...again...
Every loan is a risk? ONLY if you ask a f*cking banker who never uses CASH, anyway!
You've seen this one...they break up at the end, remember?
Money is just a medium...
but, in Hollywood it is MOTIVE.
Without it, you can't separate classes.
With it, Ahmet Ertegun can keep throwing parties for his Italian slip on loafers!
Where's the ether?
I'm ready to party!
KC
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:10 pm In this case the end game is complete control of everything, with no one owning anything and forced to pay through the nose to rent it over and over again.
It won't be for the masses, though. Because the masses will not be ABLE to pay through the nose for anything less than essential for survival (and probably in the end not even for that). :(
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

tulirepo wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:40 pm It won't be for the masses, though. Because the masses will not be ABLE to pay through the nose for anything less than essential for survival (and probably in the end not even for that). :(
And could the four elements be Earth, Air, Fire, Ringo?
Then they really messed up when they made struck the Ha'Penny and the Farthing.
The standards of poverty have always always equated more effort with less wealth!
The farthing should have weighed 3 ounces each.
What little old man?
Oh! that's my grandfather!
"Run, Ringo! This one's got benevolent despotism written all over his sad British kisser"!
A nation once again! A nation once again!
Congratulate me, boys! I'm engaged!
No one is immune to the struggle.
Money only complicates it!
Bingo!
KC