Spectralayers 10 AI seperation

Get help or discuss anything relating to audio/video software & hardware
Beatlebug

Spectralayers 10 AI seperation

Post by Beatlebug »

Thought this might be of interest to those curious about AI software...

sunnylew

Re: Spectralayers 10 AI seperation

Post by sunnylew »

I've had a bit of a play with this and the results are fairly decent.

I couldn't say whether it actually extracts better than some of the other options out there, but the ability to isolate parts of the spectrum and move them to different tracks gives lots of scope for fixing any hiccups without actually losing any of the original data. It's pretty good for dumping the hiss onto one track, which can then be gone through to return any unwanted elements stripped out of the other parts to their rightful places.

The best feature, though is "Unmix drums." I did a couple of tests with star club tapes to see what could be done, and ended up with a fairly reasonable separate kick, snare and cymbals. Just pulling down the cymbals a bit really helped with the clarity of everything else.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

No doubt it costs a king's ransom!

There's a free alternative called ISSE but it doesn't come with any instructions so who has a clue how to use it.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Tex

Post by Tex »

sunnylew wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:23 pm I've had a bit of a play with this and the results are fairly decent.

I couldn't say whether it actually extracts better than some of the other options out there, but the ability to isolate parts of the spectrum and move them to different tracks gives lots of scope for fixing any hiccups without actually losing any of the original data. It's pretty good for dumping the hiss onto one track, which can then be gone through to return any unwanted elements stripped out of the other parts to their rightful places.

The best feature, though is "Unmix drums." I did a couple of tests with star club tapes to see what could be done, and ended up with a fairly reasonable separate kick, snare and cymbals. Just pulling down the cymbals a bit really helped with the clarity of everything else.
You should upload some stuff to WeTransfer and let us hear.
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

I've uploaded the raw stems it output for Red Sails in the Sunset (Taken from Lord Reith's Magnetophon Band):

hxxps://wetransfer.com/downloads/231b132122a04a4e2463ea7b8618922520230711230228/66c62f9acdc5f674b4dcb4ff7c8fa6cd20230711230256/96b937

This is the result of pressing two buttons :)

The separations are by no means perfect, but I found that if the cymbals were ducked down just a bit things became much clearer.

I did have a go at cleaning up another track, but after a couple of hour's work it crashed and I haven't had the heart to try again :(

There's a facility whereby you can select parts of the spectrum and shift them to another stem, so that you lose no audio information whatsoever.

I haven't really had a chance to investigate them, but there are other settings designed to separate the audio components into "tonal", "transients", and "Noise." I imagine that applying this to stems might give a lot more control when trying to repair things like vocals.
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

sunnylew wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:23 pm The best feature, though is "Unmix drums."
I've been looking for something that does this! Thanks for the heads up.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

So from what you're saying, I gather this is kind of a demixing program with the difference that you can spectrally edit the stems it creates and easily move incorrect bits to a different stem?

That would be useful. When i was doing Fabracadabra there were many instances where the wrong sound ended up in the stem. The most common one was low guitar notes ending up on the bass guitar track. I solved this by using several algorithms and taking the best bits of each but it was a huge pain in the arse.
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

It's sort of the other way around - a spectral editing program that has over time added in demixing. I'm still getting my head around it watching tutorials online and playing with a version of it.

It's not necessary to use Spectralayer's demix to create your stems, though - you can import your own and then use the tools to try cleaning them up.

It's pitched as Photoshop for audio. You can view and select frequencies and then copy and paste them, or use a clone or heal brush to manipulate them.
Like photoshop you can have multiple layers and move frequencies between them, so it's possible to remain entirely non-destructive if you want. There's also a good feature called "Select similar" where you might make a selection around a kick drum that has crept onto a snare track, have it find the lot, and then cut and paste the frequencies onto the Kick track.

A feature I've been playing with recently is the "Debleed" function. Designed to remove instrument bleed between tracks on a multi track recording. I've had moderate success using it to move missed frequencies of eg the cymbals from the "noise track" back to the cymbals track. If you have multiple unmixed versions of a song using different algorithms you could use a good extraction of the guitar to feed a debleed of a good extraction of the vocals from elsewhere that has the odd stray bit of guitar left behind.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Sounds like an amazing tool. I may have to enlist your services on future projects! ;)
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

will you do a new Star Club with these A.I tools ? (I'm not convinced by Dae Lims A.I Beatles Cavern contrary to his amazing work with Brian Wilson; but he used an A.I voice model; not A.I tool to enhance the voice and extract the voice or boost the voice)
I've always wondered why you were so fascinated by this show. I have keep all versions you put out (and there have been many versions you know ? ;) ); including of course Magnetophone.
I have always liked the raw power energy of the band; wish the voices could be clearer.
I remember the Peter Gunn or James Bond guitar-lick during I Saw Her Standing There.