How to make a good restoration? Like in 1+, Get Back, Anthology
The Beatles Lost Performances: http://beatleslostperformances.great-site.net/
KitsuHitsuyy

Re: Restoration.

Post by KitsuHitsuyy »

You hire a professional team.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KitsuBeatles/
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/qaCPu9VrsY

Saw Paul on November 30th, 2023 at the Mané Garrincha Stadium, Brasília, Brazil!
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Pepe_Java wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:51 pm How to make a good restoration? Like in 1+, Get Back, Anthology
Access to high quality sources, professional team of people who understand restoration. And enough money to fund said team. Wait and hope that Apple will make another documentary, and hope to god that its better then Eight Days A Week, there was some teases that Peter Jackson is making new beatle doc, hope its something cool!
Pepe_Java

Post by Pepe_Java »

KitsuHitsuyy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:54 pm You hire a professional team.
If i have the master tape or a new scan of a video, without a team, how i can get good restorations? Like, removing the scratches, interpolation, deinterlacing
The Beatles Lost Performances: http://beatleslostperformances.great-site.net/
Tex

Post by Tex »

Pepe_Java wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:29 pm
If i have the master tape or a new scan of a video, without a team, how i can get good restorations? Like, removing the scratches, interpolation, deinterlacing
There's video software that does all that.

The problem is amateurs (and Apple) think they need to remove ALL grain and the results make people look like wax dolls.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Pepe_Java wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:29 pm

Look at how the 1+ fixed up the Royal Variety performance, they manually removed scratches from a "private" or at least not publicly traded (not to my knowledge) kinescope source, and used a number of tricks, messing with lighting..etc to make it look modern,
watch this
With respect YPepe, you cannot do this, you need money and a team of professionals
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Pepe_Java wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:51 pm How to make a good restoration? Like in 1+, Get Back, Anthology
90% of it is going back to the original elements, means negs in the case of film, or at least safety negs or master positivies. In the case of video it means the original videotape and not a later safety dub to a different format. They are then re-scanned or dubbed using modern state of the art equipment. Unfortunately a lot of the time this doesn't happen due to the cost. In Apple's case, they half got it right. The clips on 1+ shot of film were all rescanned from the original elements where available, but with the video stuff most of it was originally shot in NTSC format and they instead used the NTSC>PAL conversions made during the 80s/90s. These were then converted back to a quasi-ntsc format for the bluray (59.95fps), leaving a tsunami of artefacts in their wake. That was made even worse by deinterlacing.

Another 5% is removing the flaws from the image, either frame by frame (time consuming and expensive) or by an automatic process (far more common).

The last 5% is "grading" or adjusting colour and contrast shot by shot to iron out inconsistencies. This often goes very wrong too. Often the tendency is to alter the original colour palette drastically to produce a result more acceptable to modern audiences.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:39 am
90% of it is going back to the original elements, means negs in the case of film, or at least safety negs or master positivies. In the case of video it means the original videotape and not a later safety dub to a different format. They are then re-scanned or dubbed using modern state of the art equipment. Unfortunately a lot of the time this doesn't happen due to the cost. In Apple's case, they half got it right. The clips on 1+ shot of film were all rescanned from the original elements where available, but with the video stuff most of it was originally shot in NTSC format and they instead used the NTSC>PAL conversions made during the 80s/90s. These were then converted back to a quasi-ntsc format for the bluray (59.95fps), leaving a tsunami of artefacts in their wake. That was made even worse by deinterlacing.

Another 5% is removing the flaws from the image, either frame by frame (time consuming and expensive) or by an automatic process (far more common).

The last 5% is "grading" or adjusting colour and contrast shot by shot to iron out inconsistencies. This often goes very wrong too. Often the tendency is to alter the original colour palette drastically to produce a result more acceptable to modern audiences.
Weird question but was the scenes from Japan 1966 included in start of Get Back, were they edited? what sources were used..etc
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

silver_2000 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:44 am Weird question but was the scenes from Japan 1966 included in start of Get Back, were they edited? what sources were used..etc
I dunno, I haven't watched it since. Which reminds me that I should!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Oh yeah, the other thing is video noise reduction. That removes grain in the case of film and analogue noise in the case of video. I absolutely HATE traditional video nr, even more than audio nr. However there is a new type of AI nr available now which produced some truly astonishing results on a video I saw, without the usual distracting side effects.