Super Deluxe disc storage - opinions wanted

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Mr Bump

Super Deluxe disc storage - opinions wanted

Post by Mr Bump »

So... I'm lucky enough to have four of the SDE collections, with the CDs inside little printed slip covers - which look great, incidentally, especially Pepper and Abbey Road, with their 'alternate' photos.

Of course they come housed securely inside the big, bulky SDE package, but the music itself, the five or six CDs per set, it what I really want access to. I'm considering taking them out the SDE packages and keeping them on the shelf. You can get slightly oversized clear plastic covers big enough to hold the CD inside its printed slip cover, which would protect them.

My biggest reservation is what to do with them. Stack them up like ordinary CDs, try and find a special box for them etc. I'm probably over-analysing something which isn't too important but would be interested to hear what others think, and whether anyone's done this with their SDEs?
cdrtrade

Re: Super Deluxe disc storage - opinions wanted

Post by cdrtrade »

Depends on how you listen to stuff. I have no use for physical media anymore. Hard drives and wi-fi for my home use and a sony Walkman on the go. So I rip everything. Never take the originals out again after that. If you still use cd’s, make copies of them and leave the originals stored away. If you want to display them you can get jewel cases. I would avoid sleeves. I have all of my stuff stored in paper sleeves and they get scuffed just from being shuffled around in the storage boxes or even sliding them in and out. I forget what the multi disc jewel boxes are called (fat boys maybe) but they can get tricky handling the discs. The holders in the middle tend to break and the discs fall out of place and start bouncing around and get scuffed.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

You can get slightly oversized clear plastic covers big enough to hold the CD inside its printed slip cover, which would protect them.
This.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

Mr. Bump, I have the same problem. Do you mean flexible plastic covers like these:

Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I can't see your attachment, noirbar, but I mean like these. They are just a bit bigger than usual so would accommodate the whole mini sleeve, not just the disc inside.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (131.23 KiB) Viewed 942 times

I suppose risk of damage is an issue. But I think that if the discs were out and accessible, I'd play them more. As things stand, taking the heavy box off the shelf and opening it out to get at the discs is not too convenient and probably more risky in tearms of wear and tear on the whole thing, or dropping the book from the slip cover or something. I do play them, so where I keep them is the only quandary.
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

That's great MB. Exact same problem here - esp. don't want to be opening and closing the SDE box every time I want to spin a disc.

Thanks again!

M
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

This is why digipacks are rubbish. Bring back the jewel case.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
AussieMick65

Post by AussieMick65 »

Try these as the plastic ones will over time damage the discs.
https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/products/is2_cd
Rondordrecht193

Post by Rondordrecht193 »

I use these ..
Attachments
slimcases.jpg
slimcases.jpg (749.79 KiB) Viewed 826 times
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

AussieMick65 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:49 am Try these as the plastic ones will over time damage the discs.
https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/products/is2_cd
Uh oh, you mean the soft, flexible plastic "envelope"-type cases will damage the discs?