New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Yellowsubmarine

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

musigny23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:51 am
The Youtube audio of the BBC interview program that played the clips is edited down to pretty much just the clips, there's one bit near the end where it sounds like the buyer of the tape was revealed but we only hear after that, where the buyer shows the tape and photos in an open safe and is said to have a Liverpool accent. Was that Neil Aspinall?
After fruitless attempts to make contact with Apple’s Neil Aspinall, the family decided to auction the tape at Christies in London.

“I got a telephone call from Neil Aspinall the day before the auction,” said Irene. “Ringo had seen me being interviewed on Sky TV. I had to explain what I was doing was on my dad’s behalf.”

“Neil said, ‘I’m just going to have to send someone round to the auction room’.”

The tape sold in December 1998 for £25,300 to an anonymous buyer – believed to be Apple.

“From then on my greatest hope and desire was please, please, please… release it,” said Irene to the BBC in 2012. But the precious recording still remains unreleased to this day.
Choking Smoker

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Choking Smoker »

I was actually at the Sotheby's auction at which Paul purchased (via telephone bids) the 1962 Cavern recording. I also attended one of the public viewing sessions where you could see and actually handle the items up for auction. The thing is that I can remember no facility to actually listen to the recording or I certainly would have. It is possible that I would have been able to hear some if it if I had posed as a potential buyer and requested to hear it but I do wonder if they were warned about any public airings of it?

Sometimes Paul's behavior surprised me at those Sotheby's auctions in the 80's. I remember that he stopped a member of another Liverpool band from selling a pair of his black leather trousers. The story was that Paul didn't have the money to pay for his share of a meal and gave him the trousers as security and never reclaimed them. I remember wondering why he just didn't cut the guy some slack and bid for them in the auction if he really wanted them back? Maybe the story of how the vendor came to possess them was contested by Paul? I have no idea.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Maybe Paul simply wanted to avoid the sale and not to get hold of the trousers ...

If you visit the Beatles museum in Liverpool - which I strongly recommend to do to anyone - you will see a load of objects that they left behind.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It was the trousers... they were very tight...

"Did ge like their music?"

"No, he hated it."
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:33 am It was the trousers... they were very tight...

"No, he hated it."
That was a brilliant spoof "Leggy Mountbatten lol". My favourite was John & Yoko (Stig Nasty and whoever) in the bath to show that life was just like a plumbing works.
bri286

Post by bri286 »

Choking Smoker wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:30 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:33 am It was the trousers... they were very tight...

"No, he hated it."
That was a brilliant spoof "Leggy Mountbatten lol". My favourite was John & Yoko (Stig Nasty and whoever) in the bath to show that life was just like a plumbing works.
That'll be Ron Nasty's charming second wife Chastity, whose father invented World War Two, played by the genuinely lovely Gwen Taylor (who, coincidentally, also played Mrs. Leggy Mountbatten in the film)...

Ron, of course, was played by Neil Innes, and Stig O'Hara by Ricky Fataar, who had been a member of the Beach Boys in the early seventies.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

"No, he hated it."
Another hilarious moment was midget Henry Wolf as the Maharishi-styled guru "board tapper" Arthur Sultan - especially when he's seen making a grope for one of his female disciples.

The whole movie is actually pretty unkind to them, depicting Yoko as a Nazi and Paul as an eyelash-batting muppet but it's also done with love and respect where needed. There's pretty much no-one else who could have gotten away with that other than Eric Idle and Neil Innes. The Beatles myth and public persona had gotten so overblown and ridiculous by that time that they needed taking down a peg or two, and I think the four Beatles must have laughed themselves silly in between face palms.

When I read Eric Idle's autobiography, I was intruiged by the part where he says he believes he met George as a little boy. The story goes that Eric went to the seaside (somehwere like Blackpool or Morcambe) for the day and there met a boy called George who he got on famously with, and played with for the rest of the day. Years later when he met George the Beatle, he immediately felt like he knew him already. Though he says he can't be absolutely certain about it, he believes it is true and personally I think that it would just be another one of those marvelous cosmic "co-incidences" that litter The Beatles story. "Congruence" it is called... the theory that events in real life are tied together by quantum entanglement on the subatomic level.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I listened to this again and what surprises me the most is the audience reaction! I can remember buying Dezo Hoffman's book in about 1983 and seeing those photo's of Stowe, especially the one of them performing Love Me Do. And it all looked so tame! I remember thinking that the boys probably didn't know them that well, and were a very tough audience like the Frank Ifield gig. Yet when you hear the tape they are so appreciative and noisy. I love the final version of ISHST where all the boys join in singing. They know ALL the words!
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:10 am

"No, he hated it."
When I read Eric Idle's autobiography, I was intruiged by the part where he says he believes he met George as a little boy. The story goes that Eric went to the seaside (somehwere like Blackpool or Morcambe) for the day and there met a boy called George who he got on famously with, and played with for the rest of the day. Years later when he met George the Beatle, he immediately felt like he knew him already. Though he says he can't be absolutely certain about it, he believes it is true and personally I think that it would just be another one of those marvelous cosmic "co-incidences" that litter The Beatles story. "Congruence" it is called... the theory that events in real life are tied together by quantum entanglement on the subatomic level.
Well Eric was certainly in a position to ask George if he had any memories about such a meeting in later years. Strange things do happen. Here's something Beatle related that happened to me about 9 or 10 years ago. I posted it on the Steve Hoffman forum not too long after it happened so I've copied it from there rather than rewriting it'

" I'm a cab driver and last year I collected an oldish female passenger. I was playing "I Saw Her Standing There" and she announced "I used to know them". She told me that she came from Liverpool used to go to a club at Pete Best's house but she couldn't remember the name of it (She seemed genuinely shocked that I was able remind her it was called 'The Casbah').

Unfortunately it wasn't a very long journey but I pumped her for every memory she had. She told me Pete's grandmother, who was from from India, used to live with the family upstairs and was very ill. She said that Mona Best, Pete's mother was wonderful to the kids and sometimes let her in for free for helping out with small errands.

Of The Beatles themselves, she said that they were very young and that she liked Paul and George but found John too sarcastic and didn't like him at all, she said that she cannot ever remember meeting Ringo, even when he was with Rory Storm. Her strongest memory is that her friend had paid for a few tracks on the jukebox and that half way through The Beatles started tuning up for one of their performances, her friend got angry and ordered them to wait until the last song had finished playing...which they did!

I told her that I had been to The Casbah (which IMO is the best Beatles 'relic' in Liverpool) and she seemed surprised that anybody would still be interested. I also told her that if she wrote all her Beatles memories down that many people would find them fascinating, I know I did."
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

That's amazing. But fairly typical I think. We live in our fishpond and like to imagine that everybody else is obsessed with all things Beatle. But to most of the world they are just a band who split up 50 years ago. Imagine what treasures have been thrown in the trash by people who didn't think anyone would be interested in them!