New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
musigny23

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by musigny23 »

Doug wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:23 am
musigny23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:51 am...there's one bit near the end where it sounds like the buyer of the tape was revealed but we only hear after that, where the buyer shows the tape and photos in an open safe and is said to have a Liverpool accent. Was that Neil Aspinall?
I hope not, since he died in 2008.
Um I do know that. Which was 10 years after the auction of the tape
It isn't clear when the BBC documentary with song clips was done but probably around the time of the auction. The 2012 article is a look back at 1998. They certainly weren't able to obtain the audio in 2012. Neil appears to have acted to get the tape for Apple. He might have had it in his office safe after the auction.
Yellowsubmarine wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:46 am
musigny23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:51 am
The Youtube audio of the BBC interview program that played the clips is edited down to pretty much just the clips, there's one bit near the end where it sounds like the buyer of the tape was revealed but we only hear after that, where the buyer shows the tape and photos in an open safe and is said to have a Liverpool accent. Was that Neil Aspinall?
After fruitless attempts to make contact with Apple’s Neil Aspinall, the family decided to auction the tape at Christies in London.

“I got a telephone call from Neil Aspinall the day before the auction,” said Irene. “Ringo had seen me being interviewed on Sky TV. I had to explain what I was doing was on my dad’s behalf.”

“Neil said, ‘I’m just going to have to send someone round to the auction room’.”

The tape sold in December 1998 for £25,300 to an anonymous buyer – believed to be Apple.

“From then on my greatest hope and desire was please, please, please… release it,” said Irene to the BBC in 2012. But the precious recording still remains unreleased to this day.
Um, ok, I can read and I did read that already. It's a reason I guessed it might Neil. How did you think this reply was helpful?
Doug

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Doug »

Sorry - I didn't realize you were talking about Bournemouth, since this is a thread for the Stowe tape.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:02 am That's amazing. But fairly typical I think. We live in our fishpond and like to imagine that everybody else is obsessed with all things Beatle. But to most of the world they are just a band who split up 50 years ago. Imagine what treasures have been thrown in the trash by people who didn't think anyone would be interested in them!
whilst doing the cover for my mix, i was wondering whatever happened to the original butchers smocks, and what would they be worth now?!
They were probably discarded right after the photo shoot was done :shock:
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Thought I'd share these. We went to Stowe today and had a guided tour of the house/school. The gardens are run by the National Trust and as members we have free access, and reduced rates for the house tour. The emphasis is on the historic building and the Duke of Buckingham family but they have a small museum that included a couple of items. Can you spot the mistake ? The tour doesn't include the auditorium though, so no photos of that. Well worth a trip if you like NT gardens and houses, not so much if you are just after Beatle connections.

Yellowsubmarine

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

Nimbus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:35 pm Thought I'd share these. We went to Stowe today and had a guided tour of the house/school. The gardens are run by the National Trust and as members we have free access, and reduced rates for the house tour. The emphasis is on the historic building and the Duke of Buckingham family but they have a small museum that included a couple of items. Can you spot the mistake ? The tour doesn't include the auditorium though, so no photos of that. Well worth a trip if you like NT gardens and houses, not so much if you are just after Beatle connections.

Yeah, they got the year wrong.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yellowsubmarine wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:51 pm Yeah, they got the year wrong.
Oh. My. God.

:shock:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Gotta love misinformation.
Gawd¿
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Now that it's on youtube, it's possible for boys to sit in the auditorium and listen to it on headphones. That would be cool. I wonder if any of them have done that yet.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:30 am Now that it's on youtube, it's possible for boys to sit in the auditorium and listen to it on headphones. That would be cool. I wonder if any of them have done that yet.
Sounds like a great time to creep up behind them wearing a Beatle wig.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

On 4th April 1964, before they achieved world-wide popularity, the Beatles performed at Stowe School. Shortly after the performance, they hopped in their Delorean and jumped back to 9th February, just in time to appear on the Ed Sullivan show.