New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Mr Bump

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Mr Bump »

I genuinely don't know what all the interest is in this. It sounds bloody awful. There are other period recordings which are better and have been around for years. I understand this is the earliest complete show (not counting Star-Club) which makes it of academic worth, but apart from that, I don't see why it's a big deal. Just sayin'.
Lord Reith

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Lord Reith »

BDJ wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:44 am That does make sense. I also found in the manual of the recorder that batteries would last from 20 to 40 hours. So that makes it unlikely they would run out during the final ISHST.
The batteries only powered the circuitry though. The actual mechanics were powered by clockwork. The Butoba was made by a Swiss watchmakers, and you'd literally wind it up and it'd run for an hour off a spring. That's no doubt why the speed changes gradually from start to finish. Probably also explains why it was so damned expensive (100 pounds!!!)
What still appears a bit strange is that Money seems to fade out for 10 seconds or so. If it was overwritten, wouldn't you expect a hard cut?
Yeah I've wondered about this myself. I think possibly it was not erasing the previous recording fully.
NB: Indeed a tragic choice to use SB to obliterate Money. A Dutch comedian, van Duijn, made a career out of miming to this song.
It is a tradgedy, but the bigger tradgedy for me is that it missed the last part of the show. Can you imagine the response to "Long Tall Sally"? As it stands it's like we are there enjoying it, but then have to go off to Maths.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Track06

Post by Track06 »

The Butoba MT5 is a german machine with a german motor.
michael_charles

Post by michael_charles »

Track06 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:12 pm The Butoba MT5 is a german machine with a german motor.
As track06 said.

FYI, here's a webpage with escription and link to original manual.
http://www.butoba.net/homepage/mt5.html
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Must have been confusing it with another one.
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

I finally got a chance to listen to this today and YES, the sound is terrible. In fact, there were certain songs I didn't know until the solo or 3/4 of the way though and then I figured it out. That said, it's remarkable this even survives for us to hear today. The audience treats the show almost like a "folk" concert where there is clapping/cheering in between songs and not much else. What stood out to me is how professional the band sound. I don't know if this was how they sounded for the UK fans in particular but nothing of the Hamburg "grit" here. I wish it sounded better but hey, I'll live.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:04 pm Must have been confusing it with another one.
Butoba made several models with a spring drive, such as the 'Export' and the TS61. Since 1959, they went 'all electric'.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

BDJ wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:15 am
Lord Reith wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:04 pm Must have been confusing it with another one.
Butoba made several models with a spring drive, such as the 'Export' and the TS61. Since 1959, they went 'all electric'.
We still have the mystery of why the tape slows down. As someone pointed out, if batteries had been running out then the playback speed would inversely increase. Maybe the tape speed is tied to the Butoba transport and isn't compatible with other machines.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Do we know the speed changes or do we deduce that from changing pitch?
TAKRL

Post by TAKRL »

Another Stowe School bootleg CD will be released this weekend. It uses the original recorded sources, before EMPRESS VALLEY equalised the audio tracks and did a fake edit on I Saw Her Standing There (reprise).

hxxps://ecd.easy-myshop.jp/c-item-detail?ic=A000009368
hxxp://www.dadgad.jp/lm/view_gallery.cgi?mode=g_01