White Album US Compressed Mix A 28 Matrix Needledrop (2CDR)

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
I Am The Walrus

Re: White Album US Compressed Mix A 28 Matrix Needledrop (2CDR)

Post by I Am The Walrus »

maul wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:09 am
I Am The Walrus wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:18 am Hello,
I have a question, can someone help me please?
Does anyone know if this set is really suitable to get the compressed mix made by Capitol?
I have my doubts about this set.
The entire story is enigmatic, the 'compressed mix' (or rather remaster ;) ) seems a mere myth started from some kind of misundertanding:

1) A28 sounds exactly as the regular version

2) also waveform analysis shows the differences in compression are very very small if any, but if you have an exceptional good ear you can try to spot differences in "Long, Long, Long" finale :D
Thank you very much for the explanations maul.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

here's a "dated" 2018 rip which i got from Bootlegzone around 2019 as a comparison
the track sizes are a smidgen smaller but anyway there's another or the same rip to analyse

hxxps://we.tl/t-75KZJF0ygJ

dead in 7 days enjoy

some more info

this steve hoffman chat adding to Long Long Long also suggests there's differences in Everybody' Got Something To Hide and Cry Baby Cry as well.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... und.51583/

i suppose my own theory is that Capitol albums were in a crisis of album sides getting longer. some examples:

sgt. pepper - was just on 20:00 but was ok
Mad River (s/t) 1968 - infamously known for been sped up to fit because of the cutting would reduce the dynamics if they did it at at normal speed- side 2s length was 21:00!
The White - side lengths 23:43, 22:41, 22:48, 24:21

so ok more attention might have been paid to a typical classical album and it might have been fine but the three above examples are loud rock albums and Capitol was going thru a dilemma of trying to make suitable cuts and maybe The White Album was just a routine way of making an acceptable cut only thing is that George Harrison heard this particular cut and wasn't really impressed and literally sat in the room until it was mixed much better.
Last edited by Megazeti on Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rui

Post by Rui »

A Chance For A Re-upload Of This? Thank You!!! :D