Revolver 2022 issues

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
rfwood1

Re: Revolver 2022 issues

Post by rfwood1 »

"I can’t hear that edit on Doctor Robert. Maybe it’s a good thing my ears are old because I hear very little of what ya'll are noting. I tried to follow the discussion on watermarking on the Hoffman forum but I don’t really hear anything. That said, I recognize that many of you are tuned into the details much more closely than me. My ignorance is my bliss!"

I agree....I didn't hear the errors, but I really don't want to. My ears started losing their efficiency after I saw Zeppelin in 1971. I'm happy with what I've heard on the new release and I'd like to keep it that way. I know a lot of folks will make corrections and remixes and I look forward to hearing that fine work. I also elect to remain blissful.
apesrfools

Post by apesrfools »

Is there bass guitar on Dr. Robert, SS,SS, or Good Day Sunshine? rubbish

What happened to the tamborine & cowbell in Taxman? :roll:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I was a bit upset about the near inaudible bass part in For No One actually. The bass guitar was really important in that song... now it's all about the clavichord and drums.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Fake bass on Rain outtake.
Dr.Robert outtake sounds horrible !!! :lol:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I only really noticed yesterday how distorted the mono mix is. I've never really listened to the mono till now. But those first two guitars stings after "Let me tell you how it will be" there's horrible bass distortion from the valve limiters they used, and once you notice it you hear it everywhere. Doesn't seem to be on the old stereo mix.

This isn't a fault of the SDE though, just the technology of the time.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:13 pm I only really noticed yesterday how distorted the mono mix is. I've never really listened to the mono till now. But those first two guitars stings after "Let me tell you how it will be" there's horrible bass distortion from the valve limiters they used, and once you notice it you hear it everywhere. Doesn't seem to be on the old stereo mix.

This isn't a fault of the SDE though, just the technology of the time.
Norman Smith said of the Fairchild 660 Limiter: "Once they discovered it, They wanted it on everything. I hated it because you could hear it working"!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Kwai Chang wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 pm Norman Smith said of the Fairchild 660 Limiter: "Once they discovered it, They wanted it on everything. I hated it because you could hear it working"!
KC
Ha ha! That is true. Listen to the mono With the Beatles, and every time Ringo hits the bass drum hard, there's a big crunch of distortion. I've noticed it on a lot of their mono mixes but Revolver is not one I've played in mono much.

Except that I do remember shopping for a turntable in 1994. I went into a really high end store and told them to knock my socks off. I'd heard you should take music you're familiar with, so for some inexplicable reason I took along the mono Revolver lp (which as I say, I had hardly listened to... go figure :roll: ) After they had spent literally half an hour setting up a Rega Planar, I carefully took out my red mono Revolver disc and they put it on. And it sounded... horrible! I can still recall the sarky comment they made as they laughed at how bad it was: "Oh, don't you love those cheap Apple microphones!" At the time I was very confused as to why it sounded so crap, but now I realise that those mono records were really intended to sound good on battery powered Dansette's. There's not a whole lot of high end and the bass literally disappears below 100Hz. But the dismal performance of my japanese red mono gave me an ideal excuse to leave empty-handed, because I wasn't prepared for the stripped-down "no frills" world of audiophile turntables and thought the Rega looked incredibly primitive and not unlike a child's toy. I'm sure it sounded great with the right material.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I've managed once to return to the shop a DCC CD issue of The Doors' "Strange Days" on the grounds of it being faulty :lol: there were several moments during the title track where it sounds like a microphone being thrown on the floor. The sales people in the shop thought I was nuts, but exchanged my disc. Of course another copy sounded exactly the same, and when I studied my trusty reel-to-reel of a German '80s pressing, I've noticed the same sounds in the same positions :oops: only, they were too much of in-your-face on a DCC. Still, I've missed the truly faulty DCC reproduction of another track on The Doors' Waiting For The Sun; that was due to tape aging.
Albert Grove

Post by Albert Grove »

What could be the conclusion for what the best sounding Revolver is? Still the Disque Americ?
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

Albert Grove wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:25 am What could be the conclusion for what the best sounding Revolver is? Still the Disque Americ?
To my ears that is the best and for the Mono, I still like my Dr. Ebbetts!