REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Tex

Re: REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Post by Tex »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:05 amIf one of you could post a screenshot showing lossy vs. lossless for the same song to show what to look for, that would be helpful.
This image below represents the first 4 seconds of "Doctor Robert" using a WAV (bottom) and an MP3 version of that WAV (top).

You can clearly see the data removed by the MP3 codec and this was a 320 constant bit rate MP3.

For those new to this:

After loading the file you click the file name on the left (where it says "11- Doctor" in my image) and in the drop menu it'll give an option for "spectrogram". Select that. Then when the spectrogram loads you go back to file name and click again and there will be an added option for "spectrogram settings". In that option box select minimum frequncy as 15000 for 15 khz and the maximum frequency as 20000 for 20 khz.

LOL, I don't even use Audacity for mixing I use Magix Audio Studio. Don't ask me Audacity questions beyond this I have no idea.

The file (WAV and it's MP3 version) is my custom remix from years ago so it wont exactly match the CD. There may be even more detail loss in the mid-range frequencies I haven't looked.
Last edited by Tex on Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:40 am, edited 13 times in total.
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:03 am
unwantedman wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:08 pm
Rondordrecht193 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:59 pm and the spoken intro by Ringo on Yellow Submarine is still missing 15 seconds, just like the version on the Real Love CD single released in 1996. Maybe the 15 seconds extra wouldn't have fit on the CD? ;)
where can you find this version with the extra 15 seconds? it's not on the PC Deluxe Edition, and that seems the most logical place if it circulates.
These are two copies that seem to be from the Real Love single with Ringo's 15-second intro (maybe not the one you're looking for?). The VooDoo version has an extra repeat of the chorus at the end for some reason.

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8h0V5mjoBIQ6YWv0fyTslBkAGBXaaa9/view?usp=sharing
thank you alphabeatles! however, both of the ones you graciously provided have the same amount of spoken dialogue at the beginning, about 14 seconds. the previous post i quoted seem to imply that there was still another 15 seconds of dialogue missing. if the real love single has about 14 seconds of dialogue, and it is still missing 15 seconds, wouldn't that mean that there are about 29 seconds of dialogue somewhere?
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Patrick Healy wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:13 pm having digital back up copies until 2025
Why only until 2025?
When the media cloud launches the Windows 11 has a backdoor to erase music and video files on devices.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Welp, I already did a test mix using the MP3 download (Amazon music) of the new take of "Got To Get You Into My life". When I get the real thing I'll swap out the files.

Basically I ran it through demucs at x-minus.pro to get tracks of vocals, guitars, drums and bass. I panned drums and vocals center of course and then guitars slightly left and bass slightly right. The vocal track I reduced about 2 decibels, dialed out the 2k mids a little and added a tiny bit of echo. Sounds awesome!
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:19 am This image below represents the first 4 seconds of "Doctor Robert" using a WAV (bottom) and an MP3 version of that WAV (top).

You can clearly see the data removed by the MP3 codec and this was a 320 constant bit rate MP3.

For those new to this:

After loading the file you click the file name on the left (where it says "11- Doctor" in my image) and in the drop menu it'll give an option for "spectrogram". Select that. Then when the spectrogram loads you go back to file name and click again and there will be an added option for "spectrogram settings". In that option box select minimum frequncy as 15000 for 15 khz and the maximum frequency as 20000 for 20 khz.

LOL, I don't even use Audacity for mixing I use Magix Audio Studio. Don't ask me Audacity questions beyond this I have no idea.

The file is my custom remix from years ago so it wont exactly match the CD. There may be even more detail loss in the mid-range frequencies I haven't looked.
Now keep that WAV or FLAC file in there and 'Normalize the 320 MP3 and Abracadabra! the spectrum is STILL identical to the WAV or FLAC. It only compresses on the save which is why no one hears the difference unless they have a really crappy music playing program that doesn't maximize MP3 performance, which most of your regular media players do not. NLC and WinAmp always have.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:03 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:27 am
Mr Bump wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:56 am

Same thing crossed my mind. It sounds too fast.

I wonder if anyone could analyse it and determine what key it was actually played in. Might be tricky to do - guitars can have capos and drum and bass not easy to judge.

Alternatvely, we just trust it was copied from original studio tapes recorded at that tempo.
I would never have expected them to play in the key of Bflat, because of the way the guitar is played John and George must be using capos (that's a band that goes on the neck to make the notes higher, like George uses on If I Needed Someone in Tokyo). When I was mixing that fast version I just assumed it would be in the key of A because they are playing open chords and at that pitch it is already breakneck speed. But who knows.
I don't think that they could not play it that fast; but did they have to play it that fast to get the strange "slow down" effect they would get when slowing down the tape so that John could record his vocals ?
This required, as you wrote to use capo for guitars, but bass too ? because it really sounds somehow "unnatural" to me (like it is speed-up) because the tone of Paul's bass is really high.
What if ? I'm not sure of that but I don't totally trust the official release (they messed up in the past) what if they adjust the pitch in order to reconstruct the "real live" tempo of the original speed just based on the count-in voice by Paul at the beginning ??
What if for one reason or another Paul's voice and count-in does not belong to this take ? (they probably had to play it several times to get a perfect take; so that would imply multiple false-starts and attempt; thus a lot of count-in by Paul)

regarding the fuzz guitar for Got To Get You In My Life which sounds great and dry I was not thinking of Satisfaction for the Rolling Stones. The Stones could have been influenced by "Rain" and the Revolver album tone for some songs like "Child Of The Moon".

There is a great pdf booklet with the digital release. 51 pages with some photos I think are new. There is a track by track presentation of each song. I have to read carefully what they say about the recording of "Rain" and I'm curious to read "Yellow Submarine".
Give the Rain take a close listen at parts most of the way through to the end and you can hear faint singing at the fast regular speed. And yeah, they could play this fast, compare Ringo's drumming and some of the guitar playing to And Your Bird Can Sing Take 2 and I Want To Tell You. Ringo's drumming is just as fast with the fills.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:07 amNow keep that WAV or FLAC file in there and 'Normalize the 320 MP3 and Abracadabra! the spectrum is STILL identical to the WAV or FLAC.
I normalized to .5 I see zero difference. MP3s remove data you can't get that back with normalization.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

unwantedman wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:27 am
alphabeatles wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:03 am
unwantedman wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:08 pm

where can you find this version with the extra 15 seconds? it's not on the PC Deluxe Edition, and that seems the most logical place if it circulates.
These are two copies that seem to be from the Real Love single with Ringo's 15-second intro (maybe not the one you're looking for?). The VooDoo version has an extra repeat of the chorus at the end for some reason.

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8h0V5mjoBIQ6YWv0fyTslBkAGBXaaa9/view?usp=sharing
thank you alphabeatles! however, both of the ones you graciously provided have the same amount of spoken dialogue at the beginning, about 14 seconds. the previous post i quoted seem to imply that there was still another 15 seconds of dialogue missing. if the real love single has about 14 seconds of dialogue, and it is still missing 15 seconds, wouldn't that mean that there are about 29 seconds of dialogue somewhere?
You're welcome! I ddi understand your original question but have never heard any other Ringo voice. There is Jeremy Boob or whoever doing a totally different intro – or was that Magical Mystery Tour?! –and another theme park version of YS with announcer's comments throughout.
Last edited by alphabeatles on Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Paul overdubbed bass on track two with the tape machine running at standard speed (powered at 50 kilocycles per second) so he heard the fast performance in B-flat major (CD Sessions One Track
10 / LP Sessions Side Two Track 3). John sang lead vocals on tracks three and four. Both of these recordings were made with the tape machine running at 42 kilocycles. This slowed the tempo and dropped the key of the song by around three semitones from B-flat major to close to G major.
Echo was added to the recording of his singing on track four (CD Sessions One Track 11/ LP Sessions Side Two Track 4). With the original reel playing back at 42 kilocycles, two reduction mixes were made from take five to another tape.The second of them, called take eight, consisted of guitars, drums and bass combined to track one and John singing on track three. This vocal track appears to have been an experimental take with John singing along to the original fast performance with the tape machine running at standard speed. When heard in this reduction mix featuring the guitars, bass and drums varispeeded on track one, John’s voice has a slowed- down quality – similar to the vocal sound heard on part of ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’, released in 1967.
it comes from the pdf track-by-track info; thus perhaps that would explain why Paul's bass sounds "un-natural" too me on the "real time" fast speed version of "Rain" (chili-con-carne version (when you have to go you have to go to the toilets; so let's finished this song quickly)
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:19 am
alphabeatles wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:05 amIf one of you could post a screenshot showing lossy vs. lossless for the same song to show what to look for, that would be helpful.
This image below represents the first 4 seconds of "Doctor Robert" using a WAV (bottom) and an MP3 version of that WAV (top).

For those new to this:

The file (WAV and it's MP3 version) is my custom remix from years ago so it wont exactly match the CD. There may be even more detail loss in the mid-range frequencies I haven't looked.
OK I see, the main difference is that the mp3 looks like "smoker's lungs", yes?