New Revolver Review

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Tex

Re: New Revolver Review

Post by Tex »

FYI, Giles Martin never actually grew up listening to the Beatles. He has no decades old burned in references of how the songs sound or the mixing issues. His familiarly with the majority of the Beatles tracks starts with playing with the multi-tracks during Anthology when he helped his father. He's not used to the hearing the finished mixes. This explains everything he does and all his mistakes.
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

Thank you Engonoceras, for proving the point you were trying to refute in two consecutive posts.
Tex

Post by Tex »

theboxinargentina wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:08 am Thank you Engonoceras, for proving the point you were trying to refute in two consecutive posts.
So you think mixing errors like using the wrong tracks are not mixing errors? OK :roll:
Tex

Post by Tex »

theboxinargentina wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:44 pm "Get it right" lol. As though there is an an objective "correct" way to do it.
Correct. There is no absolute "right" but most people can see what the obvious wrongs are. It's the dumbass mixing errors that bother me the most. Also "Pepper" 50th was a smeary bloated hyper-compressed sonic disaster. That might be the most guided remix of a classic album ever. It could have sounded amazing and beautiful.

Andre' Gardner has already spotted that Giles' has accidentally left the fader up and revealed some bad organ notes on the end of "Got to Get You Into My Life." In the 1966 mixes they pulled the fader down briefly to mask those bad notes. Every album remix has had a major goof like that. "With A Little Help From My Friends" is supposed to end on Ringo's solo note now it ends on John's voice (a fader accidentally left open again). "Come Together" (2015) has the wrong vocals at the end and the 2019 mix has those guitar swells timed very incorrectly. "Eight Days A Week" has an extra fader open on the end revealing the original sloppy ending not the good ending.

As I stated above Giles Martin is literally unfamiliar with these songs. Evidently Apple literally has no quality control or anyone that is extremely familiar with these songs to point out errors.
Last edited by Tex on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
theboxinargentina

Last edited by theboxinargentina on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
theboxinargentina

Last edited by theboxinargentina on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I thought it was a pretty good review actually. He's entitled to point out what he finds objectionable, and he wasn't overbearing about it in any way. He just said he liked the original stereo better, which I thought was a perfectly reasonable statement. A review that just gushes praise or heaps disdain is pointless - an article like that is only going to appeal to half the readership, and annoy the other half. You've got to have some balance.
theboxinargentina

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:47 am I thought it was a pretty good review actually. He's entitled to point out what he finds objectionable, and he wasn't overbearing about it in any way. He just said he liked the original stereo better, which I thought was a perfectly reasonable statement. A review that just gushes praise or heaps disdain is pointless - an article like that is only going to appeal to half the readership, and annoy the other half. You've got to have some balance.
He was kind enough to let me know that he prefers obvious errors like the one on the "Eleanor Rigby" vocals because, dabgummit, that's how we heard it back in the day when we had to walk 20 miles through snow uphill to buy a record and we liked it.

That's when I stopped reading. I appreciated the upfront honesty about his Stockholm Syndrome.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

theboxinargentina wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:57 am He was kind enough to let me know that he prefers obvious errors like the one on the "Eleanor Rigby" vocals because, dabgummit, that's how we heard it back in the day when we had to walk 20 miles through snow uphill to buy a record and we liked it.
Well it probably does sound a bit silly but people can become attached to those kinds of things, like the clicking switch in "I Want You" or the hum at the start of "Taxman" or even a Nagra beep. He makes it pretty clear that he prefers the old mix, but the review is not a hatchet job on Giles either. In any case, if he'd started the review by gushing uncritically about the new remix the way some reviewers have in the past (how often have we heard that well-worn phrase "like a layer of dust being removed"?) then a whole other section of readers would have tuned out after the first paragraph. I want to read an honest review, not a PR handout. :)
theboxinargentina

If "gushing uncritically" means "setting aside my calcified brains inability to conceive beyond what I've known all these years", you can count me in as "gushing uncritically".