My copy of Ringo´s "Chose love" doesn´t play anymore

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
billylentz

My copy of Ringo´s "Chose love" doesn´t play anymore

Post by billylentz »

Hi guys!

I was so frustrated to realize my CD player doesn´t read my copy of "Chose love". It´s a brand new Panasonic set I bought a few months ago after my old friend Philips sadly stopped working beyond repair.

As for the CD, it´s one of those dual discs, with audio on one side a DVD on the other. I was always suspicious about this format, but never came across a CD-only copy of "Chose love". I´m not sure it was released as a regular CD. In any case, it´s apparently not available anywhere else anymore.

It was supposed to be my Ringo´s birthday listening, as I had woken up with "Give me back the beat" on my mind.

The notebook drive did read the disc enough for a flac extraction, but it´s so frustrating not to have the actual disc working.

These media problems... When CDs first came out, they were supposed to offer "a lifetime of pure listening enjoyment".
ianbuckers

Re: My copy of Ringo´s "Chose love" doesn´t play anymore

Post by ianbuckers »

billylentz wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:03 pm Hi guys!

I was so frustrated to realize my CD player doesn´t read my copy of "Chose love". It´s a brand new Panasonic set I bought a few months ago after my old friend Philips sadly stopped working beyond repair.

As for the CD, it´s one of those dual discs, with audio on one side a DVD on the other. I was always suspicious about this format, but never came across a CD-only copy of "Chose love". I´m not sure it was released as a regular CD. In any case, it´s apparently not available anywhere else anymore.

It was supposed to be my Ringo´s birthday listening, as I had woken up with "Give me back the beat" on my mind.

The notebook drive did read the disc enough for a flac extraction, but it´s so frustrating not to have the actual disc working.

These media problems... When CDs first came out, they were supposed to offer "a lifetime of pure listening enjoyment".
There were 'regular CD' versions of this released in many countries. Easily picked up for a couple of quid (substitute your local currency here) plus shipping here...

https://www.discogs.com/master/389250-R ... hoose-Love
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

ianbuckers wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:15 pm
There were 'regular CD' versions of this released in many countries. Easily picked up for a couple of quid (substitute your local currency here) plus shipping here...

https://www.discogs.com/master/389250-R ... hoose-Love
Oh, that´s so great! Thanks for the tip!

Let´s see what we can do. Not very quid-y when we put them in Brazilian currency, but I´ll have to work something out - we can´t lack an official album, can we!

Why do CDs stop reading anyway? It´s so strange.
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

May be nothing wrong with the disc, just the player is not compatible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualDisc

'Because the DualDisc CD layer did not conform to Red Book specifications, Philips and Sony refused to allow DualDisc titles to carry the CD logo and most DualDiscs contain one of two warnings:

"This disc is intended to play on standard DVD and CD players.
May not play on certain car, slot load players and mega-disc changers."
"The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therefore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc."'

Just checked mine and my copy plays ok on my Sony CD and Samsung Bluray.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Phil_Lip wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:20 pm May be nothing wrong with the disc, just the player is not compatible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualDisc

'Because the DualDisc CD layer did not conform to Red Book specifications, Philips and Sony refused to allow DualDisc titles to carry the CD logo and most DualDiscs contain one of two warnings:

"This disc is intended to play on standard DVD and CD players.
May not play on certain car, slot load players and mega-disc changers."
"The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therefore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc."'

Just checked mine and my copy plays ok on my Sony CD and Samsung Bluray.
Same with all the 'enhanced' discs and the copy protected discs...do not conform to Red Book specifications so Philips and Sony refused to allow them to carry the CD logo or be officially called a CD.
dylanoscar

Post by dylanoscar »

billylentz wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:03 pm Hi guys!

hxxps://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trks ... acat=11233
veejayman

Post by veejayman »

Panasonic players have problems more than other companies with playing all kinds of discs - ;)
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Thank you for the reminder! Importing stuff to Brazil is so annoying and difficult I had actually forgotten about eBay... It´s been a long while. I had given up.

But now I´ll have to work something out... Maybe take a deep breath before facing the Customs journey... And important taxes... You wouldn´t believe what these prices become in Brazilian currency after shipping and taxes are included...

One thing I´m noticing is the dual disc actually tend to cost significantly less that the regular CD versions. Maybe there´s a reason for that.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

veejayman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:32 pm Panasonic players have problems more than other companies with playing all kinds of discs - ;)
Gosh... I wish I had known that... Apart for poor sounding minisystems, in Brazil now we only have Panasonic, LG e Philco. Philco was out of the table, because of an awful minisystem I had.

It´s a very worrying situation. I fear there´won´t be any CD players left next time I have to get me a new device and we´ll be confined do small weak systems or mono-like thunder bluetooth speakers. I wander if the pleasure of listening to an actual CD in physical media will be taken from us. It seems to be already happening.
dylanoscar

Post by dylanoscar »

billylentz wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:35 pm
Thank you for the reminder! Importing stuff to Brazil is so annoying and difficult I had actually forgotten about eBay... It´s been a long while. I had given up.

But now I´ll have to work something out... Maybe take a deep breath before facing the Customs journey... And important taxes... You wouldn´t believe what these prices become in Brazilian currency after shipping and taxes are included...

One thing I´m noticing is the dual disc actually tend to cost significantly less that the regular CD versions. Maybe there´s a reason for that.
..vivo en Brasil..isla de Santa Catarina...Floripa...compro siempre en Ebay..