A George Martin story I've finally heard and it's real!

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Re: A George Martin story I've finally heard and it's real!

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

I was trying to look up the Phil Spector quote on why he preferred mono to stereo (something to do with the listener having less control over how the music sounds), and I wound up on the Steve Hoffman board, where I almost died laughing over this post, from someone named "ivan_wemple":

"I bought this set and it was a jarring listening experience. At first play, it sounded like *exactly* the same sounds were coming out of both speakers. I ripped a few tracks and loaded them up in audacity, and the left-right waveforms looked freakishly similar. Finally, I performed a null test after inverting one channel and it revealed that the two sides were *exactly* the same. Weird. I chalked it up to a manufacturing defect and returned the box for a full refund."
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

Kwai Chang wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:53 pm The clippings below are the equivalent of a gloomy weather forecast for the rapidly changing mono landscape. Despite this sense of foreboding, George Martin and The Beatles still found the format worth indulging. Was this a nostalgic tendency? Was there something meaningful about mono that was not mentioned in the articles? Why would Martin not be leading the charge? After all, the producer of Beatles records must surely have his fingers on the corotid artery of industry standards. Was he sympathetic to market forces? Ulterior motive? Was he unaware that these changes were taking place? Did the Martin household enjoy their music monophonically? Anyway, the future of any commercial product is in peril if there is NO commerce. You can't purchase a product that isn't for sale. So, why was the biggest name in Star-Maker Machinery still entertaining such obsolete notions?
This thread is about George Martin. I thought this issue of Billboard was in contrast to Martin's own efforts. Martin was adept in either realm. Why, the fuddy duddy inclination to prolong the inevitable?
Also, thank you to ALL commentors for the enlightenment about the great George Martin.
The River 'Wai'?
Kwhy Change? (what about Goons?)
Thanks, for your time!
KC
The problem with this article is that it is seeing things from a US perspective where Stereo forged ahead more quickly than in the UK where mono was king until 68/69, particularly for pop records. Stereo singles didn't become common over here until around 1970. Beatle wise, even the band themselves only started going to stereo mix sessions for the white album.

The decision to continue issuing Mono would have been an EMI decision, not a GM one. George embraced stereo and technology. He even took a trip across to the USA to see what Capitol were doing (I believe he visited a Sinatra session) and was dismayed to see that they were working on 3 track machines with far more advanced technology. He reported back to the bosses at EMI but they were very slow to react. Away from POP or material destined to only be released on 7" singles, George preferred to record in Stereo for album release. There are very few GM produced albums i can think of dating back to about 1959 that were only issued in mono. There was the original Beyond The Fringe, but even that was recorded in Stereo.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Bazilnerk wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:57 pm The decision to continue issuing Mono would have been an EMI decision, not a GM one. George embraced stereo and technology. He even took a trip across to the USA to see what Capitol were doing (I believe he visited a Sinatra session) and was dismayed to see that they were working on 3 track machines with far more advanced technology. He reported back to the bosses at EMI but they were very slow to react. Away from POP or material destined to only be released on 7" singles, George preferred to record in Stereo for album release. There are very few GM produced albums i can think of dating back to about 1959 that were only issued in mono. There was the original Beyond The Fringe, but even that was recorded in Stereo.
And, that brings me back to my original point. Is Mono/Stereo a matter of debate because it is important? Is there some legitimate concern about either format in the world of commodities? Or, is there no aspect worth mentioning and it is The Beatles music that gives rise to such discussion? I will never forget hearing the mono version of Sgt. Pepper for the first time. It was an amazing experience. There were physical sensations as I listened. Mental and emotional states were bouncing off of each other. So, if THAT's unimportant...if it's just a commodity...if NO art is the consideration, then maybe I should thank George Martin for having a supreme sense of humor. Or, should I thank the Beatles? They provided the musical puzzle pieces that Martin assembled. I love the fact that, without The Beatles...this discussion might NEVER have taken place. That it will continue to reoccur over and over is phenomenal on its own. What amazes me the most is how the mono copies were everywhere in the U.S. but, I had only ever noticed the copies with the gold bar across the top of the front cover. What a fitting ending for an obsolete medium. A tribute to the format...that is better than everything.
Thank you, for your time.
KC

George Martin probably knew that Americans would think the inner groove gibberish was a factory flaw and return the albums as defective. SMART!!!
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

Firstly, Mono vs Stereo is subjective. You like what you like, there is no right or wrong, just different.

Secondly George would have had nothing to do with what was added or taken away from any US edition, even Pepper. That was down to Capitol.