Rooftop Concert on Spotify/Apple for 24 hours

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
lordsnooty

Rooftop Concert on Spotify/Apple for 24 hours

Post by lordsnooty »

Link: http://webgrafikk.com/blog/news/streami ... p-concert/

The concert is already showing up in darker corners of the internet.
lordsnooty

Re: Rooftop Concert on Spotify/Apple for 24 hours

Post by lordsnooty »

“We wanted to put it on the box set,” Giles Martin tells Rolling Stone in an exclusive interview. “But it just took up too much real estate. It’s 40 minutes, so it didn’t make any sense."
:roll:

Link: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... e-1291122/
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

Wow it really is in existence ! ;)
lordsnooty

Post by lordsnooty »

“It just took up too much real estate. What were we supposed to do, give up some of the 70 unused minutes on that four-track 'bonus' disc?"
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

I have to defend Giles here, even though the core reason (LP capacity) is an annoyance.

He wanted the contents to be the same across vinyl and CD; a better deal for the vinyl than the CD, which would have twice as much space, but that's what he went with. Not ideal, but when sticking to those rules, one can only include so much.

Under those restrictions, then, it was good that he chose (mostly) fresh studio outtakes versus rooftop material, especially since the concert (which was essentially only five different songs) was already represented officially across the various releases in this way:

- Get Back (take 3 end chatter - Get Back, Let It Be; take 3 performance - Anthology 3)
- Don't Let Me Down (take 1 - Let It Be Deluxe; composite of takes 1 & 2 - Let It Be Naked)
- I've Got a Feeling (take 1 - Let It Be; composite of takes 1 & 2 - Let It Be Naked)
- One After 909 (only take - Get Back, Let It Be, and Let It Be Naked)
- Dig a Pony (only take, with two vocal bits edited out - Let It Be, Let It Be Naked)

From that perspective, one can understand where Martin was coming from. Again, not a fan of the "vinyls are short, so CD's must be short" malarkey, but after that, things make sense.
Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa »

At least the Rooftop Concert is being streamed for free but yet to be seen whether it may be offered for sale in some form or another. Maybe if/when the IMAX Rooftop Concert is released on video? They could have offered the Rooftop Concert as a digital download with both the vinyl and CD sets. But then again, the people that bought the LP would be complaining it's not in LP form. Can't please all of the people... I guess!
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I bet they do a Record Store Day release on vinyl.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

dascottjr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:40 pm I have to defend Giles here, even though the core reason (LP capacity) is an annoyance.
He wanted the contents to be the same across vinyl and CD.
Maybe its a different Giles Martin...the guy who gave us LOVE(Vegas) is worried about format consistency?
This rooftop concert would have been a better way to make no sense (in the SDE EP/Disc 5).
You might as well include a copy of Abbey Road since it was recorded during the Get Back incubation period.
Call Alex Mardas or Denis O'Dell. They'll know what to do. I like the concert poster with the rear view of the band. And look at the nice job Mal did of making the roof flat with all of those planks. At least we got four more versions of Get Back.
Is it over? Already???
That was quick.
Tell Giles I didn't say 'hi'.
KC
dbacon910

Post by dbacon910 »

I don't see anything in the press release that says the audio will only be available for 24 hours. Did I miss something? it looks like the streaming "debut" will be tonight at midnight (EST).
Also...I am assuming the the concert will get a physical release at some point.
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

For all I know, the format consistency was a record label thing, not a *specifically* Giles thing. I should have been more general in who I was blaming. :D