Favourite Paul period

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
ianbuckers

Re: Favourite Paul period

Post by ianbuckers »

ianbuckers wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 pm
mojofilter wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 am There's no denying that he was a hit record-making machine in the '70s, but I'm particularly fond of the era between Press To Play and Off The Ground. Flowers In The Dirt is my favorite album from that period. The band he had with Wix and Hamish Stuart and Robbie McIntosh was second to none. Some of the songs he buried on B-sides, like "Back On My Feet," "Flying To My Home," "Loveliest Thing," "Kicked Around No More" and especially "I Can't Imagine" are among my favorites of anything he ever released. Millions of people, many of whom like Paul a great deal, have never heard "I Can't Imagine." In a just world, that could have been a big hit A-side.
I used to visit a pub in Weymouth with a work colleague who lived there (in Weymouth not the pub!). The pub would have regular live music much of it acoustic. A regular Sunday lunchtime acoustic gig was often provided by a guy called Robbie McIntosh. He was really good. My friend Clive was on speaking terms with most of the regular musicians so via him I did chat to Robbie a few times. At that time I was a big Beatles fan along with being into Kinks, Hollies and other such sixties/seventies bands. BUT my appreciation of Paul's solo work was limited. It wasn't until some years after when I started to explore the solo work of all of the Beatles that I realised how much Robbie had done with big names like Paul and the Pretenders and others.

He just turned up, played and sang (brilliantly) and accepted adulation for what he did on the day. Never played upon his professional work...I wish he had been a little less meek so I could have been more aware of who he was when I had those opportunities to chat with him...someone one step away from a Beatle! Oh well.
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

Me it was 'Live And Let Die', onwards seen Wings 10 June '76 Seattle's former Kingdome

Love the posters that came with the Albums, during that period, & also I was in Germany, & later UK

1981-1986, was a great period...I go by my mood & the songs...

Could be Twin Freaks..., my fave 2000 Album...
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
Neal Nollie

Post by Neal Nollie »

FileUnderT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 pm 'Flowers in the Dirt' was a fab album, so much so I went to see him play Paris when he toured that album, what a show!
FileUnderT ...Me too!
paris 1989. My 1st time id ever seen him. Though it was an arena i couldnt believe i was in the same room as him. :o :lol:
Must of been october because he wished "John happy birthday" and he also said "I'd like to say hello to my good friend Tina Turner who is sat over there"
Very happy times.
Regarding Robbie i always loved the guitar solo during the stage change over after "things we said today"
very haunting. Absolutely stunning Guitarist. Turn his hand to any style. Love his slide aswel.
I was always a bit miffed that he wasn't recruited for his 2001 touring band.
I went to quite a lot those concerts over the 18 month period and there was always camera crews filming the concerts.
I wonder why he never released a proper full live concert film instead of that get back thing!?
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

We went as part of a Daily Mirror package. Tour coach to concert, guided tours by coach of Paris, free day in city and show
Neal Nollie

Post by Neal Nollie »

Ditto
Palais Omnisports de Paris Bercy ....October 9th 1989

coach to dover, ferry to France< Tour coach to concert, guided tours by coach of Paris, free day in city and show
£99 all in
Wonder what it would cost in 2022
MrP

Post by MrP »

1971 > 1976
TheBeatlesVideos

Post by TheBeatlesVideos »

I’ve uploaded most videos from this era on YouTube:
1982: hXXps://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ3qjwXhAckLhzyWkFuQGxCQ4epLBQ0wZ
1983: hXXps://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ3qjwXhAckKdBbkBOybx-hEnkT-B2uGR
1984: hXXps://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ3qjwXhAckLnRUKjIxZnyo4EsB1Z-nCi
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

Neal Nollie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:45 pm Ditto
Palais Omnisports de Paris Bercy ....October 9th 1989

coach to dover, ferry to France< Tour coach to concert, guided tours by coach of Paris, free day in city and show
£99 all in
Wonder what it would cost in 2022
That's the one, it was like a Magical Mystery Tour. I flew into London to join the trip, it was superb value for money!
Neal Nollie

Post by Neal Nollie »

Still got my 1989 tour T shirts from that gig.
One with him playing is les paul gold top (great shot)
and other says "Mac Is Back!"
JPM7756

Post by JPM7756 »

It's great seeing these clips. I really can't pick a favorite Paul period. I seem to like something from every phase of his career.