The Beatles: Get Back: The Rooftop Concert

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
dascottjr

Re: The Beatles: Get Back: The Rooftop Concert

Post by dascottjr »

I wonder if the White Album footage is the same stuff that was reportedly going to appear as a bonus on the attempted Let It Be DVD some decades back? Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (as some sources said)? Or just more Hey Jude and Bulldog stuff?
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

bobzilla wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:49 pm You may be right. I learned the other day that the rooftop concert is apparently in the future. I went to see what the actual temperature was on that day in London and was greeted with...
I must confess, I waited until yesterday to watch the rooftop portion of part 3. I did not go to IMAX although I am open minded. Climbing the theater curtains for a better view would be quasi-immersive. Or if they chill the IMAX to 31F and create a stiff breeze. Fans can now appreciate the Natural aspects of British Pride: The Weather. The BIGGEST difference between Let It Be and Get Back is the frozen/windburn tinting of the bass players pudgy cheeks and button nose! If he had stopped at the joke shop on the way to work, he could have gotten mittens for John, a red clown nose made of wool for himself, a guitar lesson for George and a cup of sugar for Ringo's wife...Thanks, Mo! But, Paul's face made me know that John's hands really were too cold to play the chords. Unfortunately, THAT exact reality makes me believe that the mini skirt and the 3 policeman's uniforms were rented. I can even forgive the cop's pacifism...he didn't even go up until the last song. But, the best supporting unscripted banter was when the cop says "oh, they're making a feature, are they? Then, surely they can add the audio in artificially!!! So, the secretary defiantly tells the cop "No, they have to play it on the roof...it's GOT TO BE LIVE!!!"
On the back of the Get Back book, it says that the time has come to tell the real story of Let It Be.
That it wasn't really about them breaking up or growing apart.
That was all secondary. What Get Back really tells is their personal account of creating the Let It Be album.
I mean what kind of host would they be if they told us 2022 will be the year of Beatles MERCHANDISE. Second only to 1964!
We are going back in time. Peter Jacksons own words...
It's been locked in the vaults for 50 years.
It might not be 120 hours of audio...but it's going to be a lot.
Get Back campaign alone will unwittingly generate more revenue than the Nagras(wherever they were) lucrative 50 year performance on the black market. ALL 50 years. Lemon, Kum Back, Sweet Apple Trax, Black Album, Cet Back Journals, Yellow Dog, Vigotone, Foretaste, Upgrades, one channel stereo, Master tape, Japanese, Rolled off, Brickwalled, remastered remixed, analog, fake-analog, anaphonic, duophonic, !6mm blown up to 35mm, enhanced, unhanced, embellished, adorned, original, reverb, lossless, belt drive, ADD, DDD, lofi, hi res, 24bit, abacus, alchemy, spectral, hybrid, and unauthorized...I probably missed some. It's not a purely digital world. A real Beatles fan should be in charge of merchandising strategy and it would be unstoppable. Because bootleggers know how to make products. They know how maximize product longevity. The fact is, NOBODY ever kept records or even two sets of books on that old box of Nagra tapes. A goose that lays golden eggs. The A/B Road series was a clever tactic. And would you buy them all over again if they were on bluray? On vinyl? From analog tape? With a free t-shirt? 4 collectable post cards? Autographed? Arithmetic? Geometric? I have a funny feeling if everybody calls Disney, Apple, Universal and demands the things that have been denied us...they might actually sell it to us. So, realize what he's telling you. This is going to be bigger than ever. It's only the beginning. It isn't projected...it's a sure thing. It's the Nagra Tapes. All of the work is already done. So, it's coming. ALL of it. Extended cut??? That's funny...
Who wants a Teddy Boy box set?
Did anybody hear the part about the creation of the Let It Be record?
I guess January 31, 1969 is going to get its own release.
It will be called Let It Paul!
That was the rudest unfair shit I've ever seen. To use that footage under rolling credits...and make it look like Paul was a solo act and the other three guys were janitors. Then, I will take pleasure in saying, George is the only Beatle that showed up READY to rock. Phil Spector's Long And Winding overdubs are the best part of the song. Get Back(the two minute clip of it's conception) is your song and I love that John didn't try to rewrite it for you. Paul let me down. I'm over and outtie! Thank you!
BELIEVE it.
I ain't lying.
KC
sam004

Post by sam004 »

Kwai

I believe you are not far off. Peter Jackson said if Disney smells money, they will release it.
2020 will be the year of Get Back ? Let It Be. I think we will see a lot of releases this year.
Let It Be remastered , The extended cut of Get Back, and maybe even a soundtrack LP :)

I would like to see the iMax film extended due to popular demand.
I've never seen a Beatles film on the big screen, or in this case a Giant screen.

How about Yellow Submarine in iMax or maybe Shea ?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Let's not forget that it is Apple who hired PJ and who now own all the newly restored footage. Even if the Disney thing doesn't happen, they could still use the footage in a rerelease of the Let It Be movie. In fact, that would not only give it a sales boost but also help balance out the gloomy outlook of the film.

In a sensible world, you'd think Apple would say "Okay, we paid a king's ransom to have all this footage scanned in 4K and restored by Peter Jackson, so now let's make the most of it."

Of course, this all wings on LIB getting a rerelease, which may never happen either.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
snrub

Post by snrub »

I've thought all along that PJ's bonus footage will end up as LIB bonus features. Disney must have a certain period of exclusivity before Apple would be allowed to release LIB, I'd be quite surprised if competing DVDs are released at the same time and Disney's GB has to compete with Apple's LIB.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It's the Battle Of The DVDS!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

I watched the rooftop concert in an IMAX theatre here in Oslo, Norway last night and I have to confess, I was not impressed by the film. Straight off the final chapter of the TV series, just on a bigger screen and Giles and Sam mixed it for IMAX by adding fake echo when we saw shots taken from the rooftop across the street and the music played second fiddle when the police or street audience was in focus. That's very close to sacrilege, it's THE BEATLES for f**k's sake. It should have been a concert film, but it's not. But now that the full or close to full audio is out there, no doubt Blu-ray bootleggers will match that soundtrack with footage form the rooftop and no street scenes or police constables. A missed opportunity for The Beatles/Apple/Disney. Unless of course, this will be an option on a future "Let It Be" release.
plasticsoul

Post by plasticsoul »

Wogew wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:56 am I watched the rooftop concert in an IMAX theatre here in Oslo, Norway last night and I have to confess, I was not impressed by the film. Straight off the final chapter of the TV series, just on a bigger screen and Giles and Sam mixed it for IMAX by adding fake echo when we saw shots taken from the rooftop across the street and the music played second fiddle when the police or street audience was in focus. That's very close to sacrilege, it's THE BEATLES for f**k's sake. It should have been a concert film, but it's not. But now that the full or close to full audio is out there, no doubt Blu-ray bootleggers will match that soundtrack with footage form the rooftop and no street scenes or police constables. A missed opportunity for The Beatles/Apple/Disney. Unless of course, this will be an option on a future "Let It Be" release.
Couldn't agree more. Overall the 3 part series was a triumph, but I was totally deflated when we got to the Rooftop in episode three and saw how it was presented. Migraine inducing split screens and more focus on street chats and the two cops in reception.!! Just dwell on this thought.. IF Apple don't release an extended version as PJ wants to do, we'll probably NEVER get an official full Rooftop performance on DVD/Blu-ray and it will stay locked away to rot. That is unforgivable. I mean, how difficult is it to just present the complete Rooftop performance from when they got up there, to when John asked if they had passed..?
itslefty

Post by itslefty »

I saw it at the Chinese Theatre IMAX in Hollywood last night (Feb 9). They handed out a poster and mock backstage pass on a lanyard as souvenirs. It seems to be the same cut as the streaming version and the street commentary is all there. It looked and sounded terrific. Unfortunately, it played to a very empty theatre, but then again, it was a 6PM show.
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

Looks like one bootlegger has come to the rescue, bringing the rooftop concert with full focus on the group. I found this info on Facebook: Here's an example of the 'Comparison Edit' on the new Rooftop Blu-ray/DVD combo. "I've Got A Feeling", with the Peter Jackson version on top, the "Let It Be Film" version on the bottom left and the new "Concert Edit" which focuses solely on the Beatles playing in the bottom right. The audio is taken from the Rooftop stream (though on the disc, one can choose from three different audio sources - the Rooftop stream, the Get Back film or the original mono 1970 Let It Be film.

hxxps://vimeo.com/677310614

Who can tell us more about where we can get this 'Comparison Edit' disc?