The wonderful madness of the Get Back series

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
snrub

Re: The wonderful madness of the Get Back series

Post by snrub »

Kwai Chang wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:38 pm I had read that he had some unresolved anguish regarding Pete Ham's suicide. "Paul McCartney wants to punch me in the mouth! He was really limp-wristed about Pete's death and I said so.
Interesting! I could be mistaken, but thought Paul did say much later something to the effect of how great Pete was and how he wished he could have done more for him. Paul is not exactly a role model when it comes to handling people's deaths, but can you blame him?
Doug

Post by Doug »

Davenicks wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:36 pm It would seem that there were times when only one camera was running; so if PJ wanted to include such a moment in GB and MLH had already used it in LIB, he'd have no choice but to use the same footage. No?
Yes, but more likely he'd just fudge it. There are many scenes in there that don't belong to the footage we're seeing.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

Doug wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:42 pm
Davenicks wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:36 pm It would seem that there were times when only one camera was running; so if PJ wanted to include such a moment in GB and MLH had already used it in LIB, he'd have no choice but to use the same footage. No?
Yes, but more likely he'd just fudge it. There are many scenes in there that don't belong to the footage we're seeing.
Ok, I'm trying to understand. The Beatles are coming out of the doorway onto the roof and one camera is running. As a storyteller, you decide it is important to show the Beatles coming out of the doorway onto the roof. How, exactly, do you fudge that?

Dave in Nashville
Tex

Post by Tex »

PJ has already stated that he sees "Get Back" as a companion to "Let It Be" and that they flagged everything that was used in "Let It Be" and purposely avoided using that footage. That logically leaves the door open for a restored "Let It Be".

As far as misplaced footage.... PJ is telling a story and when there is important audio and you don't want to edit it to shreds you HAVE to have some kind of visual to go along with or else it would be a black screen.

No reason to keep running around the tree on this.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Davenicks wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:16 pm Ok, I'm trying to understand. The Beatles are coming out of the doorway onto the roof and one camera is running. As a storyteller, you decide it is important to show the Beatles coming out of the doorway onto the roof. How, exactly, do you fudge that?
You didn't specify that you were talking about that shot, in particular. In this case, if only one camera was filming them, you can't fake it, so you'd have to use the footage that's in "Let It Be."
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

zappaf78 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:46 pm For those comparing the original movie and the 3 part series and wondering why there is barely anything used from the original movie and maybe because of who owns such material.... MAYBE he wants to focus on showing unseen footage than showing something we already saw? Do you really want to waste time on seeing the same old thing?
The same old thing?
The same old promise to myself. NEVER watch Let It Be again...and, again...keeps getting broken again...and, again. Jackson wants to tell the real story of the making of the Let It Be album. It seems, the movie Let It Be has kept the real story locked away for fifty years. REAL story? Or, just STORY??? MLH told NO story. Nor, did he include any pretext or prelude to explain what we are watching. Conversely, PJ spends eleven minutes just to SET UP the beginning of Get Back. That is a guarantee that the two movies will be noticeably different experiences. EVEN if they use identical footage. Both movies want the rooftop concert to be the triumph The Beatles had hoped for. That romantic struggle back to the...roof. (Sporadic cricket applause)<-----Glyn John's notes on tape box. And that's it. Nothing about Oh...January 31. I thought that was the best part of Let It Be. I never knew it was post-concert. MLH knew it would take the romance out of the rooftop. So, for that...Let It Be wins the Academy award for Best Unrestored Real Story. And Get Back will forever be the "companion to". Which is what Peter had wanted. Both movies will forever compliment each other's longevity. Now, what if they decided to lighten the mood. How about Mal saying "White Cliffs Of Dover"? before he carries the bass drum logo across the frame. Curling on the parapet? How about more mini-skirts?
"Glyn, are we paying you too much"?
Thank you!
KC