Peter Jackson talks about Get Back and Audio Tools!

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
zappaf78

Re: Peter Jackson talks about Get Back and Audio Tools!

Post by zappaf78 »

A sample of what the original Nagra audio and the new mix:
mjd180

Post by mjd180 »

Don't want to count the "win" before release, but this is all looking very good/very fortunate for us:
The director himself/the decision to elongate it into long-form/etc. The only possible hang-up (though, not for us - as we always just want "more") is whether this deserves the long runtime artistically. Jackson has shown to be both great ('Lord of the Rings') and poor ('Hobbit) at the skill of editing...
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Do we know if all ~50 hours of video and 100+ hours of nagra audio was cleaned up and synced? Or was only the 6+ hours needed to complete a rough edit for the release plus bonus features?

Doing it all seems like overkill if they have no future plans, but he mentions he’s been working on it for long enough to possibly have done it…
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

WilliamShears wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:07 pm Do we know if all ~50 hours of video and 100+ hours of nagra audio was cleaned up and synced? Or was only the 6+ hours needed to complete a rough edit for the release plus bonus features?

Doing it all seems like overkill if they have no future plans, but he mentions he’s been working on it for long enough to possibly have done it…
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they synched everything. In the 60 Minutes Overtime segment they show Peter Jackson watching a segment of film/audio, and at some point it shows on the screen "No Footage".
vlcsnap-2021-11-19-13h42m30s714.png
vlcsnap-2021-11-19-13h42m30s714.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1608 times
I don't know why they'd do that if they hadn't synced everything. Now whether they cleaned everything up or not is a different question, but if it's just a matter of running the audio/video through some automated process, I don't know why they wouldn't. If someone had to sit there and manually tweak everything, then maybe not.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

I would like to start a fund to get Peter Jackson and Rick Rubin some shoes!
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

alphabeatles wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:16 pm I would like to start a fund to get Peter Jackson and Rick Rubin some shoes!
Let's make it official-- socks and sandals for the pair of them!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

bobzilla wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:49 pm It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they synched everything. In the 60 Minutes Overtime segment they show Peter Jackson watching a segment of film/audio, and at some point it shows on the screen "No Footage".
I don't know why they'd do that if they hadn't synced everything. Now whether they cleaned everything up or not is a different question, but if it's just a matter of running the audio/video through some automated process, I don't know why they wouldn't. If someone had to sit there and manually tweak everything, then maybe not.
It's much easier to have the whole audio laid down on a workstation and insert the footage where available than to synch each bit of footage to sound. There would be long passages with no video but as director he has to watch everything to decide what to use. And he was a Beatleg collector just like us in the 80s, so it's not like some of the guys who handle these Beatles projects and are casual fans but not hardcore. He would be absolutely into it.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:06 am
bobzilla wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:49 pm It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they synched everything. In the 60 Minutes Overtime segment they show Peter Jackson watching a segment of film/audio, and at some point it shows on the screen "No Footage".
It's much easier to have the whole audio laid down on a workstation and insert the footage where available than to synch each bit of footage to sound. There would be long passages with no video but as director he has to watch everything to decide what to use. And he was a Beatleg collector just like us in the 80s, so it's not like some of the guys who handle these Beatles projects and are casual fans but not hardcore. He would be absolutely into it.
Yeah you’re right about the syncing, he would need to lay the foundation there first. So then the question is did all the footage and sound get restored after that or just what was needed for his edit and special features?
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Original films and tapes in London vault, Peter and team in New Zealand. Has anyone discussed the mechanics of this? I suspect the materials were digitized in London before editing began in NZ. No way all that stuff was physically relocated.
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

alphabeatles wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:19 am Original films and tapes in London vault, Peter and team in New Zealand. Has anyone discussed the mechanics of this? I suspect the materials were digitized in London before editing began in NZ. No way all that stuff was physically relocated.
All this stuff is available on various private servers somewhere. If only I knew how to hack into them...