Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Track06

Re: Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Post by Track06 »

LFSDoc

Post by LFSDoc »

Track06 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:30 pm Thanks for the Tonto LP, Doc. Does it have yellow (http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/to643) or black (https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n475639386) or dark blank (https://www.discogs.com/release/5516323 ... ther-Songs) labels?
Black and blank!
LFSDoc

Post by LFSDoc »

LFSDoc wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:43 pm
Track06 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:30 pm Thanks for the Tonto LP, Doc. Does it have yellow (http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/to643) or black (https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n475639386) or dark blank (https://www.discogs.com/release/5516323 ... ther-Songs) labels?
Black and blank!
Btw it is probably the second run so technically not the first pressing, sorry! Same matrix though
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

LFSDoc wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:32 am
Ok here's my needledrop of the Tonto Get Back LP from 1985, second pressing (lineage: Thorens TD 160 with Rega tonearm, Shure V15 cart, Pioneer SA500A amp, Mac GarageBand). Apart from a few light clicks I have edited out it is a flat transfer. I don't detect and more rumble and/or clicks when the source starts, so I'm still thinking it is not from acetate... what do you think?
hxxps://we.tl/t-Lix2SkK2VC
cheers
Doc
Thanks for providing the rip! I found one interesting little detail: the strange mastering error (?) right before "Teddy Boy" is present here - the same as on "Get Back and 22 oher songs" (YD); that means Tonto and YD are probably from the same source. Maybe a genuine mastering mistake by Glyn Johns similar to the missed tape start of "Dig a Pony" - and then also repaired for compilation 3b?
LFSDoc

Post by LFSDoc »

tulirepo wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:26 pm
LFSDoc wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:32 am
Ok here's my needledrop of the Tonto Get Back LP from 1985, second pressing (lineage: Thorens TD 160 with Rega tonearm, Shure V15 cart, Pioneer SA500A amp, Mac GarageBand). Apart from a few light clicks I have edited out it is a flat transfer. I don't detect and more rumble and/or clicks when the source starts, so I'm still thinking it is not from acetate... what do you think?
hxxps://we.tl/t-Lix2SkK2VC
cheers
Doc
Thanks for providing the rip! I found one interesting little detail: the strange mastering error (?) right before "Teddy Boy" is present here - the same as on "Get Back and 22 oher songs" (YD); that means Tonto and YD are probably from the same source. Maybe a genuine mastering mistake by Glyn Johns similar to the missed tape start of "Dig a Pony" - and then also repaired for compilation 3b?
oh yes I forgot that one! nice catch... Is it the same on OPD? got to check...
maul

Post by maul »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:07 am I don't understand how the Tonto/Yellow Dog can be from an acetate and Thirty Days from a tape. What is going on there?
Great details, although not exhaustive, on the ''double nature'' of compilation 3a
https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... comp3.html
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

billychildish wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:15 pm This whole thread lost me on page 3.
Thank you, to all commenters, for making the Get Back album more important than it's ever been.
This egg only took 50 years to hatch...so, don't miss the real value of this forum. There might be a ruffled feather or two...
But, this information will be rewarding on its own...and, THEN...
it will be possible to consider why did they cared about a bunch of tapes that were NOT up to Beatles standards.
It IS confusing...since, the whole of January 1969 might have been put to better use in a dumpster.
WHAT IF they had not had Glyn keep trying...if Phil Spector was never called.
Maybe if they had started the Abbey Road LP on Feb. 1 at EMI studios...EVERYTHING would have been different.
So, THANK YOU, again, for a most interesting thread that has always been needed...
Was Get Back LP project-failure the real reason that the SOLO-Beatle era began???
January, 1969 is an important part of world history.
SPECIAL thanks to Doug Sulpy for his dedication with the confusion!
No matter how many times the DDSI numbers change...
("ALL is number"...Pythagoras)
This is 'prime'.
KC
maul

Post by maul »

Track06 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:37 pm Here is 'Spread The Word', an alternate source for the WKBW broadcast. How does it compare to WBKW Exclusive? I think it's lossless at least, but maybe just my 'exclusive' one is lossy.
hxxps://we.tl/t-faHMiHhss5
OPD-wise my choice is called version 1 / copy 2 (I believe 1 / 1 is just the extracted center channel of 1 / 2.), but I'm just 99% sure beatlesource is the source. r9453?
Here's my quick & conservative remaster - still with all the flaws:
hxxps://we.tl/t-kQDOR5wpcU
Thanks for sharing
> unfortunately I don't have the 'progressively getting slower" WBKW Exclusive...
'Spread The Word', too, presents 'lowered' pitch, but, at least it seems costant 8-)

> This OPD seems very good (within its bounds 😬), not compressed and with a surprising proper EQ 👍
I'm tempted to 'collapse' it in Mono and keep it as 'core' 😎
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

maul wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 pm
> This OPD seems very good (within its bounds 😬), not compressed and with a surprising proper EQ 👍
Sounds like a great plan maul, please keep us posted as to how that final 'collapsed' version sounds... I would love to hear that. :D

BTW, if anyone is interested, here's the new 4-CD "Get Back DEFINITIVE EDITION" that was recently released:

hxxps://mega.nz/file/z14ihDSY#dhOjMWCYG ... 4tgPfnDfi4

I'll leave it available for 1 week (sorry, my mega drive is getting really full).
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (660.45 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (504.35 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
—Keith
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Hey…it’s asking for a key…

Thanks
powerPC wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:06 pm
maul wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 pm
Sounds like a great plan maul, please keep us posted as to how that final 'collapsed' version sounds... I would love to hear that. :D

BTW, if anyone is interested, here's the new 4-CD "Get Back DEFINITIVE EDITION" that was recently released:

hxxps://mega.nz/file/z14ihDSY#dhOjMWCYGhf-t7I-ZGcgNCBg8yZu09Ns44tgPfnDfi4

I'll leave it available for 1 week (sorry, my mega drive is getting really full).

rear.jpg

front.jpg