If Stuart Sutcliffe had lived...

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
ringo9

Re: If Stuart Sutcliffe had lived...

Post by ringo9 »

What an interesting question! Interesting input by Lord Reith and paul62. I often think about that and tend to think that had he stayed he would have improved as a player but who knows if he would have started to write songs. Maybe he would have and George would have yet another competitor??? We'll never know. BTW what do you think about Stu's sister las comments when she implied that Stu may have died as a consequence of John kicking him in the head a couple of years earlier. I've searched the web but apparently there's no account of that ever happening. On the contrary I read that John once got into a fight to defend him
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 pm It's hard to imagine Stu not becoming involved with Apple in some way. The more I think about it the more it seems like Stu's passing was a very big deal for John and had a profound effect on how things panned out.
He could have been the head of Apple instead of Neal....now what kind of post Beatles releases would he had initiated?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

miggynav wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:46 am
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 pm It's hard to imagine Stu not becoming involved with Apple in some way. The more I think about it the more it seems like Stu's passing was a very big deal for John and had a profound effect on how things panned out.
He could have been the head of Apple instead of Neal....now what kind of post Beatles releases would he had initiated?
Love Me Tender, by the Boston Show Band! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

Interesting post.

In my new book "The Beatles Mach Schau in Hamburg" I have a large chapter on Stuarts life after leaving the Beatles but I haven't asked "what if"-questions.

Nevertheless- great answers here.

Check out my book here.
www.apcor.net

PS
There is a large analysis about the Polydor sessions and a round up of the Star Club tape in separate chapters in it.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

In an alternate reality, Stu Sutcliffe didn't die but developed a vocal and bass-playing style on a par with Jack Bruce. Stu joined forces with Tony Sheridan (who'd become fascinated with playing blues guitar loudly through a big amplifier stack, just like Eric Clapton) and together they managed to convince Pete Best to join them in Hamburg, practice sixteen hours a day and become a highly-skilled jazz-influenced rock drummer, just like Ginger Baker.

When Cream became famous, Stu, Tony and Pete's band (called "The Best") was considered by some to be better than Cream. The band was signed to Polydor Records and Bert Kaempfert produced their records. Like George Martin with The Beatles and Felix Pappalardi with Cream, Bert played on some tracks recorded by "The Best". Alas, the records failed to sell outside West Germany but they were highly influential in the West German hard rock scene: some copies were smuggled into the Eastern Bloc and were highly prized by a small but loyal group of fans.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

paul62 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:49 pm In an alternate reality, Stu Sutcliffe didn't die but developed a vocal and bass-playing style on a par with Jack Bruce. Stu joined forces with Tony Sheridan (who'd become fascinated with playing blues guitar loudly through a big amplifier stack, just like Eric Clapton) and together they managed to convince Pete Best to join them in Hamburg, practice sixteen hours a day and become a highly-skilled jazz-influenced rock drummer, just like Ginger Baker.

When Cream became famous, Stu, Tony and Pete's band (called "The Best") was considered by some to be better than Cream. The band was signed to Polydor Records and Bert Kaempfert produced their records. Like George Martin with The Beatles and Felix Pappalardi with Cream, Bert played on some tracks recorded by "The Best". Alas, the records failed to sell outside West Germany but they were highly influential in the West German hard rock scene: some copies were smuggled into the Eastern Bloc and were highly prized by a small but loyal group of fans.
I think we all just witnessed the birth of a legitimate Stu Sufcliff fan fiction genre!
PanKotskiy

Post by PanKotskiy »

Here's Spencer Leigh's take on what might have happened If Lennon had left The Beatles in 1962 (11/11/2005 BBC Liverpool).

After all this time, John Lennon has been persuaded to perform again. Tonight, after 40 years, John is going to be playing at the Cavern in a band which includes Ringo Starr from the Hurricanes, his son Julian, and a few former Quarry Men. ‘I have nothing to prove,’ he insists, ‘It’s just a way of spending some time. I know I was the best. The Beatles are the nowhere men, not me.’

How's that for an alternative history idea?