The one thing that interests me about the Let It Be Super deluxe

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Choking Smoker

Re: The one thing that interests me about the Let It Be Super deluxe

Post by Choking Smoker »

"When Spector came around, it was like, ‘Well, all right, if you want to work with us, go and do your audition, man.’ And he worked like a pig on it. He’d always wanted to work with The Beatles and he was given the shittiest load of badly recorded shit – and with a lousy feeling to it – ever. And he made something out of it. It wasn’t fantastic, but I heard it, I didn’t puke. I was so relieved after six months of this black cloud hanging over, this was going to go out. I thought it would be good to go out, the shitty version, because it would break The Beatles, it would break the myth. That’s us with no trousers on and no glossy paint over the cover and no sort of hype. ‘This is what we’re like with our trousers off. So would you please end the game now?’ "- John Lennon

Now not everyone agrees with that statement but I think that John nailed it. So now Apple have had to go back the through "the shittiest load of badly recorded shit" again and come up with something new. Now of course they have the potential to give it to us in the in the best sound quality we've ever heard and I'd welcome that if that's what we get (I will listen to the samples already out there and I have my fingers crossed). But it doesn't end there...they've then got to sell it to both die-hard fans and people who just want a production that lives up to the Beatles' reputation.

We learned with "Eight Days a Week" what a huge chasm there can be between what the die-hards want (who feel quite rightly that they are the most dedicated fans) and what Apple feel Joe Public wants. Us die-hards have most of it anyway but of course there is still room for improvement quality wise. Would what the die-hards want be the best selling option? A hypothetical question but someone has to ponder it and make a commercial decision.

I'm not that exited about the audio release tbh no matter what they choose to put on it. The movie/TV series though? That's where I am excited because they went through the shittiest load of badly filmed shit and came up with the "Let it Be" Movie and the scope for improvement is obvious and inspiring.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Beatles4you wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:53 am So to ask again, how do you compile a widely satisfactory version of the Get Back/Let It Be sessions?
I think they should have used the six discs to show how the project evolved. Start with some rough versions, then move onto the early GJ beta mixes, then the rooftop and "studio performance", then the first GJ album, then the embelished versions with Spector's production.

That's the only way you could make a coherent presentation. The box just seems like a sprawling mess because it has no narrative. It's just a hodge podge of bits.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Beatles4you

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

At one point in Twickenham (on the 7th I believe) some recording equipment was brought in and Glyn Johns used it for several days. Where are those tapes today? They quite probably sound more properly balanced than the Nagras. Why haven't those tapes appeared in nearly 52 years?

Also, Phil Spector made some kind of experimental loop featuring audio from the Nagras. Where is that?

And as somebody pointed out, where are the "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" sessions?

To answer myself: they probably no longer exist, Apple didn't consider it and those sessions are waiting for a future MMT/1967 Deluxe release.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.