Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
steepien

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

Post by steepien »

hardcandytim wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:40 pm Would someone be kind enough to reshare a properly deemphasized version of the album to a server that does not delete files too quickly? Reading through this thread it sounds like ianbuckers’ version was considered high-quality. Though his link has already expired. Thank you!
This should be the de-emphasized version. I'm not sure which user originally shared it, but I believe it is from this thread.

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RQzdoS9sQRU6cJ4ohBEMURtYtOD3L_4S?usp=drive_link
this is a serious message! to everybody reading my signature!

i want to tell you to check out my thread! peace and love peace and love <3
viewtopic.php?t=4823
Tex

Post by Tex »

I like to see an a/b review with the CD player doing an analog de-emp of a Toshiba clone versus a digitally approximated de-emp of the WAV files.
hardcandytim

Post by hardcandytim »

steepien wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:04 pm
hardcandytim wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:40 pm Would someone be kind enough to reshare a properly deemphasized version of the album to a server that does not delete files too quickly? Reading through this thread it sounds like ianbuckers’ version was considered high-quality. Though his link has already expired. Thank you!
This should be the de-emphasized version. I'm not sure which user originally shared it, but I believe it is from this thread.

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RQzdoS9sQRU6cJ4ohBEMURtYtOD3L_4S?usp=drive_link
Thank you very much. I can't wait to take a listen.
Engonoceras wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:49 pm I like to see an a/b review with the CD player doing an analog de-emp of a Toshiba clone versus a digitally approximated de-emp of the WAV files.
Is there any way of knowing if the files in that link were de-emphasized properly or whether it was done analogue vs digitally? Or is it rather impossible to determine "properly", because it's a matter of listener subjectivity?
Tex

Post by Tex »

hardcandytim wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:06 pmIs there any way of knowing if the files in that link were de-emphasized properly or whether it was done analogue vs digitally? Or is it rather impossible to determine "properly", because it's a matter of listener subjectivity?
Analog de-emph is what happens in your CD player as you are listening. There's a de-emp circuit that applies a custom EQ curve to make it sound the way it is supposed to by pulling the treble down with a specific curve.

Digital de-emp is taking the WAV file and manipulating the EQ and creating a new digital file that hopefully replicates what an accurate analog de-emph is supposed to sound like.

If what you are hearing has way too much treble and sounds way too bright and brittle then you are not hearing it de-emph'd. You are hearing that treble emphasis.

If what you are hearing sounds good then you are OK.

The whole point of emphasis/de-emphasis was to provide something similar to Dolby noise reduction but it was to reduce the noise supposedly created by early A/D and D/A conversion (I think). This process is no longer used.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:49 pm I like to see an a/b review with the CD player doing an analog de-emp of a Toshiba clone versus a digitally approximated de-emp of the WAV files.
I've recorded Come Together & Something from the analog output of 4 quite different devices from 4 releases ('83, '87, '93, '09) in addition there are 3 digitally de-empazised versions, EAC rips and your mp3 of Come Together. Need to make them equally loud. Which ones should we be comparing? Blind?
Track06

Post by Track06 »

4 seemingly most accurate de-emphs. 2x software, 2x hardware. Left channel only.
log.png
log.png (140.12 KiB) Viewed 535 times
lin.png
lin.png (58.88 KiB) Viewed 535 times
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Track06 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:13 pm 4 seemingly most accurate de-emphs. 2x software, 2x hardware. Left channel only.
log.png
lin.png
Surprisingly good agreement there.
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen: Volker
glami

Post by glami »

Thank you!