Bobby Whitlock not liking the remix!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Todd

Re: Bobby Whitlock not liking the remix!

Post by Todd »

BeatleJohn1973 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:10 pm Something strange about Bobbie's story on suggesting to George to get Pete Drake, during one of the sessions. On the Day 1 demo for "Behind That Locked Door" George sings "Go Pete" suggesting he already knew he was going to use Pete Drake before Bobby W suggest it?
I was going to mention the same thing.
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

One thing I will say about the new remix is I noticed some new things on "Sir Frankie Crisp". Specifically, George's Pitched Down Vocals are much more prominant in this mix than on the 2014 Remaster (Which is the one i've been listening to on Spotify.)

Another thing about this mix is that there's way less reverb, I guess as an attempt to undo what Phil Spector did? This is most obvious on "All Things Must Pass" and "Sir Frankie Crisp".

Also, the bonuses on this "Deluxe Set" are kinda disappointing IMO. Like, come on.. An album with a boatload of sessions in its vaults and 2CDs of Demos and 1CD of Alternate Takes is the best that you can do? I think it should have been AT LEAST 7CDs.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

Everybody's entitled to his own opinion and has the right to dislike this mix but I read things that are way over the top in my opinion, like comparing this new mix to the Badfinger release where awful fake drums and various overdubs were added. This is totally misleading and I wanted to balance things a bit.
I don't know what the dynamic range of this mix is but it sounds fine to my ears with decent Bluetooth headphones, mainly for one reason : it is REVEALING. You can hear LOTS of stuff that were buried in the original mix. Strings, backing vocals, everything is here, upfront and crystal clear. The one person that should hate this mix is not here anymore, and it's Phil Spector - cause most of his Wall of sound touch (and the muddiness that goes with it) has disappeared (note that I love Phil Spector's early 60's productions).
I enjoyed it (a lot) as an alternate mix, another very pleasant way to hear the album and especially gorgeous (Georgeous ?) vocal harmonies.
And the original mix remains available, for whoever prefers it.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I have no idea what you're listening to. The one I heard sounds like a boomy, muddy piece of crap. As Whitlock said, "like it was made by someone in High School."
paul62

Post by paul62 »

The remix sounds a lot better after being EQ-matched to the original UK cut from '70 (which is what I've done for this track "Hear Me Lord" (and this is absolutely not a reference to somebody with a weird moptop wig who keeps himself in the Beatleg spotlight...!!!)).

I've used the 24 bit 192 kHz version and after doing some initial work to reduce bass compression and volume, I slowed the track down by 0.120% and EQ-matched the track to my 24 bit 96kHz 'drop of the original UK cut.

This shows the EQ of the LP to be transferred to (or imposed upon) the 2020 remix version:

https://yung.cloud/track/38761/hear-me- ... -by-paul62
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
inglis

Post by inglis »

Thanks Paul62
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

Doug wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:30 am I have no idea what you're listening to. The one I heard sounds like a boomy, muddy piece of crap. As Whitlock said, "like it was made by someone in High School."
I'm listening to 24-bit / 192 Khz files.
And the opinion about sound of a man in his mid-70's, whose health doesn't seem great, even if he participated to the session, is of no great value to me.
Again, you're obviously all free to hate it. I just wanted to point out that this is not everyone's opinion.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

paul62 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:52 pm The remix sounds a lot better after being EQ-matched to the original UK cut from '70 (which is what I've done for this track "Hear Me Lord" (and this is absolutely not a reference to somebody with a weird moptop wig who keeps himself in the Beatleg spotlight...!!!)).

I've used the 24 bit 192 kHz version and after doing some initial work to reduce bass compression and volume, I slowed the track down by 0.120% and EQ-matched the track to my 24 bit 96kHz 'drop of the original UK cut.

https://yung.cloud/track/38761/hear-me- ... -by-paul62
Sounds great Paul! Thank you sir! 8-)
—Keith
paul62

Post by paul62 »

inglis wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:57 pmThanks Paul62
powerPC wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:19 pm Sounds great Paul! Thank you sir! 8-)
Glad you liked it, friends!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
scott_c_b

Post by scott_c_b »

dannysonar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 am Everybody's entitled to his own opinion and has the right to dislike this mix but I read things that are way over the top in my opinion, like comparing this new mix to the Badfinger release where awful fake drums and various overdubs were added. This is totally misleading and I wanted to balance things a bit.
I don't know what the dynamic range of this mix is but it sounds fine to my ears with decent Bluetooth headphones, mainly for one reason : it is REVEALING. You can hear LOTS of stuff that were buried in the original mix. Strings, backing vocals, everything is here, upfront and crystal clear. The one person that should hate this mix is not here anymore, and it's Phil Spector - cause most of his Wall of sound touch (and the muddiness that goes with it) has disappeared (note that I love Phil Spector's early 60's productions).
I enjoyed it (a lot) as an alternate mix, another very pleasant way to hear the album and especially gorgeous (Georgeous ?) vocal harmonies.
And the original mix remains available, for whoever prefers it.
I agree with this. I really enjoy this mix. ATMP is an album I've always enjoyed, but I have never been a fan of Spector's wall of sound. In particular I love that the vocals are clearer here than in the original mix.

I also love the clarity of the outtakes and demos.