New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Fast lucky

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Fast lucky »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:17 pm
Fast lucky wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:51 am My comment is about the Cavern concert that Paul bought. The happy few who were lucky to have a listen said that the sound was terrible. I consider Stowe to be close to the Star Club tapes.
I didn't mean this as an *attack* but rather a statement on how what someone calls "terrible" would be another man's gold. Paul & Apple probably judge the Cavern tape's sound quality different than we do. To them, it's "terrible" because it would've been unreleasable on a mainstream label back in the 70s or 80s. My hunch is that real fans like us would still be able to find some joy in it. Also, using today's technology, they could probably make it sound way better.

For me, Stowe is a bit better, recording wise, than the Star Club tapes.
I did not take your reply as an ´attack´ 😀 We are on agreement. We would like to have the Cavern whatever the sound quality is. For Apple, there is the sound issue but also the quality of the performance. Even if the sound was fine, they might still veto the release performance wise.
Fast lucky

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Fast lucky »

Choking Smoker wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:05 pm I'm sure that we'll soon get it in better quality and that what we get will be improved with modern technology. Personally I'm just so grateful for what we got, it must surely have been one of the last performances they ever gave live of so many of these songs, just 3 months alter and you could write the list of songs they would of performed before you even heard it.
And a show without the deafening screaming....
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Fast lucky wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:48 pm
20YearsAgo wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:17 pm
Fast lucky wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:51 am My comment is about the Cavern concert that Paul bought. The happy few who were lucky to have a listen said that the sound was terrible. I consider Stowe to be close to the Star Club tapes.
I didn't mean this as an *attack* but rather a statement on how what someone calls "terrible" would be another man's gold. Paul & Apple probably judge the Cavern tape's sound quality different than we do. To them, it's "terrible" because it would've been unreleasable on a mainstream label back in the 70s or 80s. My hunch is that real fans like us would still be able to find some joy in it. Also, using today's technology, they could probably make it sound way better.

For me, Stowe is a bit better, recording wise, than the Star Club tapes.
I did not take your reply as an ´attack´ 😀 We are on agreement. We would like to have the Cavern whatever the sound quality is. For Apple, there is the sound issue but also the quality of the performance. Even if the sound was fine, they might still veto the release performance wise.
this is probably the closet we get them interacting with the crowd unless Apple puts Cavren tape out

A lot of the songs they played in Hamburg remind me how much closer as a band they were in those 100 days.....

as I posted look how the set list kept some of the stuff from Star Club
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

20YearsAgo wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:28 pm
Fast lucky wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:17 pm
WOA76 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:13 pm wonder how the recording Paul has of them at Cavren Club sounds sucks probably never hear it :(
The sound is said to be terrible...
"Terrible" is relative. This Stowe tape, objectively speaking, is "terrible" when compared to, say, the best BBC recordings. This Stowe tape, objectively speaking, is "excellent" when compared to, say, Essen.

We're all pretty much enjoying this Stowe tape, aren't we? My hunch in that we'd all pretty much enjoy Paul's Cavern tape too.
If bootleggers in Japan do this clean it up and all you guys in here at Apple surely can
Apple needs get put stuff like this on Digital FLAC/MP3 or stream the Beatles Bootleg 1963 great idea just m4a file so mp3 it would be nice could least upgrade them to ACC Losses if worried about cost Do like Bob Dylan put few 1000 out....just idea I buy this is Digital :)

was ever said WHY we never got Beatleg Bootleg 1964 ?
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Chris
ualbert

Post by ualbert »

Thanks to all the uploaders for this! Fantastic to hear a new discovery, and as unusual (length of setlist, type of audience etc) and historic as this one.
musigny23

Post by musigny23 »

WOA76 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:32 pm
August 21 1963 - Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
https://webgrafikk.com/blog/beatles-boo ... outh-tape/
I knew about the recording but missed that clips were played on the BBC. Hearing it now I'm a little surprised that it is a microphone rather than a line recording since the guy who recorded it worked at the venue. It sounds fairly distant, somewhere towards the back of the room. Maybe done in the projection booth with the micropnone(s) pointed out the opening for the film projection? Anyway yet another live performance recording not captured directly from the stage microphones and mixing desk (even if it was a very simple PA setup). And even with a boisterous audience and Beatlemania rising the clips were listenable compared to the total wall of screaming to come very soon.

The Youtube audio of the BBC interview program that played the clips is edited down to pretty much just the clips, there's one bit near the end where it sounds like the buyer of the tape was revealed but we only hear after that, where the buyer shows the tape and photos in an open safe and is said to have a Liverpool accent. Was that Neil Aspinall?

It's a shame that Apple continues to maintain a Beatles projects are and will only be premium gold standard quality. There's an audience for these things even if they aren't worthy of a splashy worldwide major product promotion campaign. What is the point of locking them away? Are there one or two holdouts among the 4 parties who refuse to allow anything to happen?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

This copy is actually pretty good considering how it was copied. But the lack of low end really bugs me. But still 1000x better than not hearing it at all, which is what would have happened if John Bloomfield had sold it.

Not something I'll listen to very often, but a fascinating window into an under-represented period.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Doug

Post by Doug »

musigny23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:51 am...there's one bit near the end where it sounds like the buyer of the tape was revealed but we only hear after that, where the buyer shows the tape and photos in an open safe and is said to have a Liverpool accent. Was that Neil Aspinall?
I hope not, since he died in 2008.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Doug wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:23 am I hope not, since he died in 2008.
No, they just kept him in the safe too.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene