"Final" Beatles song?

Mr Bump

Re: "Final" Beatles song?

Post by Mr Bump »

I don't see it as black and white as that. For example, what makes When I'm 64 a Beatles song? Written by Paul before he met John, not written for the Beatles. What makes it a Beatles song is 1) that they all play on it and 2) that it was released under that group name.

You could also question why a song like Gimme Some Truth is a solo song. It was written before or during the Beatles Get Back sessions and Paul had some contribution (likely never included though). On the Imagine album, George plays on it. Why is that a solo song and not a Beatles song? I guess it boils down to which artists is given on the label.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

I’ve always loved the demo for “Now and Then.” It’s haunting. The release of a completed version of this song is a very poignant final chapter. It will be every bit a Beatles song regardless of how it started life.

Had this song come out in 1996 on Anthology 3 that would have been 26 years after the breakup of The Beatles. Now with a 2023 release date it has been 27 years since Anthology 3. Everything in its right time. And 2+7=9 so that seems right too.

If the AI technology employed is used judiciously to clean up and smooth out where necessary like when CGI is used to enhance a film rather than create a film then I for one am all in favor of it.

This will indeed be the last Beatles song. The last one with direct involvement of the remaining Beatles. That, for me is what undoubtedly makes it a Beatles song.

It’s the ballad of John & Paul. “I know it’s true, it’s all because of you…”
Last edited by cliftdean74 on Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulsBrokenaGlass

Post by PaulsBrokenaGlass »

I'm personally hoping they just use John's vocals. I think there's enough there to work with. Although if Paul can write a new part the fits well then I guess that's okay too.
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

Before all this technology to improve the sound, you have to realize, the original cassette they were working on had a terrible buzz throughout the recording. What we are hearing (and is uploaded in numerous youtube videos) was a remastered version from "Between The Lines" online bootleg set. If George heard that improved audio, maybe he'd considered working on it more. It will be interesting to hear how the track would sound like. Maybe there was some unheard harmony from George and Paul? I'm pretty sure George's family heard the song, Yoko too. Doubt they will release it if it sounded terrible.
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

Macca said it will come out this year so I'm wondering how it will be released and on what. Could be a solo thing?
Last edited by theboxinargentina on Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maccawings

Post by Maccawings »

I was at the Conan O' Brien/Paul McCartney Interview last night and no additional talk about the new song
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

cliftdean74 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:25 pm I’ve always loved the demo for “Now and Then.” It’s haunting. The release of a completed version of this song is a very poignant final chapter. It will be every bit a Beatles song regardless of how it started life.
Had this song come out in 1996 on Anthology 3 that would have been 26 years after the breakup of The Beatles. Now with a 2023 release date it has been 27 years since Anthology 3. Everything in its right time. And 2+7=9 so that seems right too.
If the AI technology employed is used judiciously to clean up and smooth out where necessary like when CGI is used to enhance a film rather than create a film then I for one am all in favor of it.
This will indeed be the last Beatles song. The last one with direct involvement of the remaining Beatles. That, for me is what undoubtedly makes it a Beatles song.
It’s the ballad of John & Paul. “I know it’s true, it’s all because of you…”
@cliftdean74...
I hated the Anthology dependency on NEW BEATLES songs. It seemed like a situation that could have relied on some genuine magic. But instead, we got to see Paul driving a TUGBOAT or somesuch yawnable yarn spinning device. So we find out that 4 Beatles = 7 or 8 opinions(all different) and it all gets legitimized by a rehashed video of Boy In The Bubble(P.Simon) computer graphix and by that point, I was just glad that FREE AS A BIRD(ANY VERSION) hadn't been titled "Now, THAT's What I Call Tacky"!
So, I'm just trying to tell you, your argument seems valid enough to make me think TACKY might have been a bit harsh.
So, this is the nicest thing I've ever said about the topic in question.
Bravo!
KC
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

zappaf78 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:21 pm Before all this technology to improve the sound, you have to realize, the original cassette they were working on had a terrible buzz throughout the recording. What we are hearing (and is uploaded in numerous youtube videos) was a remastered version from "Between The Lines" online bootleg set. If George heard that improved audio, maybe he'd considered working on it more. It will be interesting to hear how the track would sound like. Maybe there was some unheard harmony from George and Paul? I'm pretty sure George's family heard the song, Yoko too. Doubt they will release it if it sounded terrible.
I was thinking of the buzz and also glad not only one

Maybe with MAL like did Get Back they were able to make it to the BUZZ was isolated and only John's vocal and piano were pulled.
just a thought cause Jeff said the buzz also a lot issues besides Geoge not wanting to do it
Chris
BodsworthRugglesby

Post by BodsworthRugglesby »

Apparently Yoko said in an interview that the songs were in a box, marked "For Paul". I'd say he has any right to do it whatever he wishes. Also Yoko, Olivia and Ringo seem to be fine with the release.

Just my 5 cent.

Greetz
Frank
PaulsBrokenaGlass

Post by PaulsBrokenaGlass »

BodsworthRugglesby wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:55 pm Apparently Yoko said in an interview that the songs were in a box, marked "For Paul". I'd say he has any right to do it whatever he wishes. Also Yoko, Olivia and Ringo seem to be fine with the release.

Just my 5 cent.

Greetz
Frank
It's never really been confirmed who wrote "For Paul" though. It is likely Yoko wrote it on there so she knew what she was supposed to give to him, in my opinion.

Still, I am excited to hear the finalised version of this wonderful demo.