Paul and George Voice AI Models

Leaping Armadillos

Re: Paul and George Voice AI Models

Post by Leaping Armadillos »

What's more interesting is what this technology will sound like in three years. It's only going to get better.

And holy crap is that AIsis really good.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I think this thing is set to become the next Autotune for sure. Any singer will be able to change their voice into something either resembling or exactly replicating their idol. So long as I don't say that I actually am John Lennon, I'm okay. There is no law that says you can't sound like your favourite singer.

On Spotify, the guy who pretended to be Drake got taken down of course, but if he'd uploaded the same audio but under his own name then he would have been fine, even if it sounds like a Drake vocal.

Obviously this is going to massively change the notion of what a vocalist is. Artists will no longer have to settle for their own voice but will be able to create any voice they want for themselves. You're going to have a situation where the voice is created in software and that is something entirely separate from the actual artist themselves. Artists and coders will be vying to create new and more commercial voices. Eventually, if AI graphics and AI songwriters meld with this technology, then we will have a music scene that is dominated by artists who don't actually exist in real life. Scary and worrisome, but trying to stop this now will be like standing in front of a truck bearing down on you at full speed. If it can happen, it will happen.

Even though Liam Gallagher has made a few postive comments about Aisis on twitter, it really must actually be worrying him. I think Noel must be really disturbed by this, not to say embarassed that Breezer's soundalike Oasis songs are actually way better than what he turned out post-1997. It is not exactly flattering to think that both of you can be replaced by an algorithm and an unknown band who weren't even born when you were around.

In a few days Breezer have gone from being an unknown defunct band to being the talking point of every music blog and publication. Even though they obviously can't carry on as Aisis, they have now reached a vast audience that previously didn't know they existed. You can bet that won't be lost on every other struggling artist out there. Right now there'll be thousands of unknown artists scrambing to try out the same thing and boost their careers.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

If that "Paul" singing Dark Horse had existed on a bootleg in the 80's or 90's it would have been believed
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I think one thing that needs to be addressed with the Beatles though is that Paul in particular had many vocal personas and strictly speaking you would need to create a model for all of them, from Yesterday to Long Tall Sally to Birthday. And even then he sang something like Long Tall Sally in a number of different ways. Liam Gallagher just always sang in the same voice for every song, so it's a lot simpler.
urasam2

Post by urasam2 »

This is all just mind-boggling. What would be fantastic to hear would be using AI Paul to sing some of his recent tracks, but in his 60s/70s voice.
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:02 am Thanks for these.

If you want an idea of how mind blowing this can be, go over to the other artists board and listen to the "lost" Oasis album. Just freaking incredible. I think I actually like it better than the real Oasis, and it surely is better than anything they ever did after their first two albums. I'll have this one on rotation for quite a while! Even the real Liam likes it.
Have you changed your tune on this tech Lord? You were pretty negative on it when I posted the news in January!
wishyouawish

Post by wishyouawish »

All I can say is this is scary. What will be real in the future.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

theboxinargentina wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:33 am
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:02 am Thanks for these.

If you want an idea of how mind blowing this can be, go over to the other artists board and listen to the "lost" Oasis album. Just freaking incredible. I think I actually like it better than the real Oasis, and it surely is better than anything they ever did after their first two albums. I'll have this one on rotation for quite a while! Even the real Liam likes it.
Have you changed your tune on this tech Lord? You were pretty negative on it when I posted the news in January!
Well i think these guys used it in a really creative way. The fact that I like the songs helps. If artists use it in this way then it can just be another creative tool. In fact I think most artists would have the good sense and taste to know how to use it best. The part that worries me is the labels getting hold of it and just seeing dollar signs. If they can end up producing AI artists that are popular and sell and do what they're told and don't claim royalties or ever retire, then they are absolutely going to do that. And I can easily imagine a new generation of suckers raised on that kind of stuff and thinking that it was "music". We already have an entire generation who thinks that a heavily Autotuned robot voice is completely normal. 30 years ago listeners would have laughed at Autotune. And just as we laugh at the idea of an AI virtual artist, that may one day become the norm. Sure there'll be real artists trying to use the tech in good ways, but will anyone be left who can actually appreciate it?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I like George singing Yesterday, but the trouble is that he wouldn't really be able to hit those high notes. So when it gets to those bits it sounds a bit unbelievable. But the lower register parts sound quite like him.

The Paul version of Dark Horse is funny. That really is how Paul would sing it!

I can think of loads of great uses for this tech when it comes to The Beatles.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:46 am I can think of loads of great uses for this tech when it comes to The Beatles.
Me too, especially looking at it from my mash up head point of view. When this tech is a little simpler to use and there's an MVSEP type site or even a Windows GUI it really will be open house.