New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
IFeelFine

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by IFeelFine »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:49 am Hey, do we think this set might contain some of the songs we haven't heard before? I first thought of Hey Good Looking but then remembered that George had a severe sore throat for Side By Side so he probably didn't sing that day.

Some live versions that would be amazing to hear would be Soldier Of Love, Lucille and Keep Your Hands Off My Baby!
I's love to hear Where Have You Been All My Life (possible) and Shimmy Like Kate (highly unlikely).
hallucalation

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by hallucalation »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:43 am

And the guy kept it secret for 60 years?! How selfish is that? He could have died of a stroke tomorrow and it'd be lost forever. This reminds me of something that happened the other day. In 2016 some guy contacted me and said that he'd been cataloguing some BBC tapes for an elderly gent, and put me in touch with him. This old guy was at first happy to share his tapes (which were great), then he suddenly changed his mind when he decided he would hold onto them for a while while he thought about it. This alarmed me at the time because the guy was already in his 80s. Over the years I lost his contact details but the other day eventually tracked him down again on google... only to find that he'd died in the UK covid epidemic in 2020. And more than that, the middleman had himself died 18 months later. So that stuff is all very likely gone, because people think they are bulletproof and will live forever. It's a miracle this Stowe tape has surfaced and not gone to landfill without anybody ever knowing about it!
+

The incredible idiocy of the whole story kills me. This guy was sitting on a Beatles tape for 60 years and had been embarassed about it as he says for years? Embarassed about what? The money value of that tape alone could cover all of his expenses for several years ahead. Now it will be locked for years anyway.
djdomato

Re: Beatles at Stowe 1963 recording found

Post by djdomato »

Seeing a couple of photos of this concert where John plays the harmonica I must infer that they also played Love me do, am I right?
DJole

Post by DJole »

Thank you all, so much!!!
Ken_peps

Post by Ken_peps »

Much thanks to you all!
greyratfromBZ

Post by greyratfromBZ »

What's with John's intro of "hello, hello - who's your lady friend"? He seemed to have an endless amount of strange, eccentric, and funny things to say and do on stage.
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

BBC Front Row: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001kpq1

Samira Ahmed visits Stowe School, meets the man who recorded the 22 song tape and discusses the find with Mark Lewisohn.

Songs on the tape include I Saw Her Standing There/ Too Much Monkey Business/ Please Please Me / I Just Don't Understand/ A Taste of Honey /A Shot of Rhythm & Blues / Memphis Tennessee and seemingly most if not all of the Please Please Me album, which had only been out about a week.

What's interesting (to me) is that the Beatles were taking requests from the audience, surely one of the last times this ever happened.

As Lewisohn says, 2023 is the best year this tape could have surfaced given the technology that is available now.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Fl.

Ps. What About The Beatles 1963 by Dafydd Rees page 131 ? No recollection of the tape…
Guru-Deva

Post by Guru-Deva »

The full show from BBC Sounds for those of us who like all the surrounding material:

hxxps://we.tl/t-3tw8cOHO4a
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

Trouble is, if Apple get their hands on it, they'll just sit on it and we'll never hear it. Perhaps I should be more optimistic.