Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Rave O Lucien

Re: Abbey Road (Black Triangle) CD

Post by Rave O Lucien »

paul62 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 am
Thanks, Rave!! I will pass on your best regards to Mrs 62!! I'm here, on my ownsome for the day, making a big pot of chicken soup and mixing up these tracks.

I've got another Abbey Road version, made from the USB stick version, which was EQ-matched to a late '70s Australian-cut LP. I've shared that one before, but think I'll use Rory Leith's high pass filter trick to revamp that.
I'm desirous of knowing what settings the high pass filter trick requires. If it's a secret, maybe you could PM me.
Your soup looks astonishingly similar to Texas soup! Who knew? :lol:
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
paul62

Post by paul62 »

14 - Golden Slumbers (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/F3Hhr0

We're getting near to "The End" (boom, tish...!!!).

After all that, I'll probably update each upload post with a snapshot view of the track in Adobe Audition so that the track can be seen from a spectral viewpoint.

I might even do The Big Medley/Melody as one continuous track (with a v2 also made to reincorporate "Her Majesty").
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:23 am I'm desirous of knowing what settings the high pass filter trick requires. If it's a secret, maybe you could PM me.
Your soup looks astonishingly similar to Texas soup! Who knew? :lol:
I'm astonished too, Rave, to have somehow recreated a Texan soup!! This one had corn kernels, carrots, chopped onions, chopped celery, peas, chopped chicken thighs, a packet of French onion soup mix, salt. Vermicelli noodles (in the bird's nest shape) crushed in my sizable hand and placed into a pot of hot water and boiled: once cooked, these are ladled into the soup with a pinch or two of salt and cracked black pepper added.

The high pass filter trick involves opening up a track from the modern era with heavy bass compression. For this demo, I've opened up the USB stick version of Abbey Road (all of side one) (as amended by EQ-matching and volume-matching each track to the corresponding track from a pristine Australian-cut LP). Go to Effects and look for High Pass Filter.

Once that is done, the waveform looks more spiky in the dynamics and transients and gets louder. (As I'd already lowered the volume of the tracks with the EQ-matching and volume-matching process, I don't need to lower the volume any: normally, the 2009 remasters will need to be lowered in volume after doing the high pass filter move).

I'm listening to the file now and think I'll upload and share both sides.

"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Side two (before and after)

v2 file in Adobe Audition:

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

15 - Carry That Weight (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/iRxbRs
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

16 - The End (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/YqMe87
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

17 - Her Majesty (Black Triangle CD version EQ-matched to Pro Use LP version by paul62).wav

hxxps://gofile.io/d/JNenXN

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Engonoceras wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:42 pm I don't know about all this I'm not sure the differential EQ thing works correctly from this and other things posted. They all sound rather dull and lifeless compared to my live rips from 20+ years ago out of a first generation CD player. I would be doing these by ear if I had a good system and if I trusted my 50 year old ears.

From this I still don't think the digital pre-emph thingies or any other method are properly decoding. We are still not hearing the Toshiba correctly... correction, y'all aren't. Someone else should do a live Analog-to-Digital rip out of their oldest CD player and post so we can compare the tonality.
Therein lies the rub, as they say: it's possible that the disc was made to best be played on a Toshiba brand CD player from 1983. Finding one of those old players might be the best possible chance to correctly decode the fabled CD (the vintage player being the key that opens the corroded old lock, so to speak).

I've got a Sony CDP-190 from the late '80s right in front of me, providing a stable base for the laptop I'm typing this post on. I'm not sure that the de-emphasis/pre-emphasis EQ curve was something that was set to an agreed, calibrated, industry-wide standard that was mandatory for all CD players made back in the '80s. The RIAA curve became standardised, from what I understand, but there were variations over the years before the standard was set. We'd expect the de-emphasis/pre-emphasis EQ curve for CD players to be set to a standard but I don't think we can be 100% certain of that.

There's some interesting reading here:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?t ... n_audio_CD

Some early digital recording & playback equipment, including CD players, used 14-bit converters, even though they were dealing with 16-bit audio. Some also used noisy "brick wall" filters to remove frequencies higher than the Nyquist frequency (22050 Hz). The resulting noise introduced by these converters and filters could be made relatively quiet by using pre-emphasis: boosting the signal (especially the higher frequencies) in the recording before it was put onto CD, and embedding flags in the disc's subcode to tell a CD player to apply de-emphasis on playback. Some CD players even had a de-emphasis button that could be used to manually apply de-emphasis, but now it's just a built-in feature of the analog outputs of nearly all dedicated audio CD players. By the late 1980s, pre-emphasis stopped being used because reliable 16-bit DACs with oversampling and other technologies minimized the conversion & filtering noise without the need for pre-processing the recording.

Most major-label CDs with pre-emphasis were manufactured in Japan in the early and mid-1980s. Relatively recent forum posts indicate that pre-emphasis is still used on newly manufactured CDs by some indie labels, mainly for classical titles.

A pre-emphasis flag for each track is normally stored in the subcode along with the audio data. It's also supposed to be stored in the table of contents (TOC), but many CDs have TOCs that say there's no pre-emphasis when in fact the subcode says there is. There are also some CDs which people believe were mastered with pre-emphasis, but which have no pre-emphasis flags set at all.

Maybe the Black Triangle CD was something that only found favour with some folks because it was being heard without the pre-emphasis being correctly removed (and some enjoyed the perceived extra clarity of the treble boost given when the disc wasn't de-emphasised when being played)? It's a similar thing to listening to a pre-recorded cassette, encoded with Dolby when made, through a cassette deck with the Dolby switched off.

At any rate, these uploads sound good to my ears and the spectral snapshots from Adobe Audition tell me that the tracks should sound good to most folks with a good pair of ears kept clean of earwax. Listening with a well set up system helps a lot, too.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Thanks Paul62, your posts here are a fascinating journey.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

RunoutGroove wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm Thanks Paul62, your posts here are a fascinating journey.

A magical and mysterious tour, my friend!! :D :lol:

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing