Peace of Mind

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
beatlesbelmo

Re: Peace of Mind

Post by beatlesbelmo »

Changed the xx to tt. no luck.
ksantus

Post by ksantus »

Here's another version I downloaded here a while back.
Sorry, I don't have a record of who origibnally posted it.

Peace Of Mind (The Candle Burns) (2009 Remix)
hxxps://we.tl/t-6tbZ3D4L0C
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

beatlesbelmo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:41 pm Changed the xx to tt. no luck.
I don't know, both of those links work fine for me using tt.
JPM7756

Post by JPM7756 »

I really like this track and always loved that it had this mystery around it. One story was that it was supposed to be a Pink Floyd outfake but ended up on a Beatles bootleg instead. Fun fact. What's The New Mary Jane has appeared on some Floyd & Syd Barrett bootlegs with the claim that Syd Barrett is on it.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I also like this song and especially the lyrics. I think they are very evocative. It is a shame the sound quality is so poor though. It doesn't really matter if it isn't any of the Beatles, because it is so much part of Beatle folklore that almost every uber fan has heard it and has a copy. It has woven itself into their legacy whether you like it or not.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
tdgrnwld

Post by tdgrnwld »

beatlesbelmo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:10 pm Hi Ted. Nice to see you here. You originally turned me on to Steph about 20 years ago. Love her original music and her work with Lez Zep.
Tried to download the two versions of Peace of Mind; however, got an error saying the encryption key was invalid. No idea what that means.
Belmo
Hey Bel! Long time! I hope all is well with you.
I can try a different method to send you the files. Let's discuss via PM.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

SOLVED

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_ ... lton_Jones

Sometime in 2011, a poster on youtube named "waltonjones3" started posting comments on various uploads of the song claiming credit for the creation of the track and that "Piece of Mind" was the correct title. Also around this time, a poster named John Roberts on a Beatles fan website posted that he had recorded the song off-air in 1969. This new information was collected and posted on an online blog, putting these and many other new details about the song in one place.

Roberts wrote:

I recorded "Piece Of Mind" off-the-air in October or November, 1969 from WUSF-FM (stereo), the radio station for the University of South Florida, where it was broadcast on their "Underground Railroad" show (Beatles' special). The recording quality of the radio broadcast and stereo separation is very good. However, the quality of "Piece Of Mind" itself is quite poor.

Then in August 2021, a poster named Thunder Rock on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums claimed to be the disc jockey at WUSF in 1969 who played the song. According to the poster, he was David Hunter, the creator and host of "The Underground Railroad" at WUSF. In late 1969 he and Walton Jones created the track to play on a special Beatles edition of the show he hosted. Meant as a prank, the duo recorded the song quickly using a consumer Wollensak tape recorder and purposely made the sound poor to add to the aura of the recording. It was broadcast once on that special and forgotten about. Over the ensuing years a recording of the song made off-air made its way onto Beatles' bootlegs and became a hotly discussed topic among Beatles' fans ever since.

ThunderRock's vivid and detailed memories of the recording started a brisk discussion which cumulated in someone posting a link to an unedited version of the aircheck, finally proving the veracity of Hunter's claims and proving that the Beatles had no involvement in the song.
Last edited by WOA76 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

beatles-like-peace-of-mind-could-it-be-these-guys.163892/page
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... e.1099450/

I discovered this topic a day ago. So many pages speculating about the Bootleg Song "Piece of Mind".

I'm going to submit the final word on who recorded this track.
I know firsthand how it got recorded, who recorded it, when it was created, why it was created & what was the actual source for the audio that was put on all of these "Beatles bootlegs" in the early 1970's.

I was there when it was recorded on a Wollensak home tape recorder in Tampa, Florida, perhaps October or November of 1969.

Then it was played for the first and only time on my show "The Underground Railroad" on WUSF-FM perhaps that evening or the next day. Walton Jones, a friend of mine from the Speech/Theater Department, a very talented musician and fellow Beatles afficionado, made up the song for my multi-hours Beatles Special. "The Underground Railroad" was widely listened to in the Tampa Bay Area since we were the only FM station playing new, now rock classic, albums in FM Stereo.

As for the "variable speed capstan", yes, this was also done.
I would do it on-air for special effects sometimes. Walton Jones certainly used it on our broadcast studio stereo Ampexes.

But the variable speed heard this time on "Piece of Mind" was done on the Wollensak which had 2-track stereo heads, so that you could reach the end of a tape reel and just flip it over and start recording stereo in the other direction because the heads only covered half of the tape width.

HOWEVER, there were also PLAYBACK heads behind the record heads.
So that if you were monitoring from the playback head while you were recording you'd get the time delay of about a second in your headphone .
But, one of the slurred catching up to speed sounds came from the tape itself as the capstan was engaged and dragged the tape up to 7 1/2 inches per second.
The whole tape itself of "Piece of Mind" was essentially done on Walton's Wallensak.

But what I don't remember is if the FINAL "Mix", so-to-speak, happened as we played the 4-tracks from the Wallensak tape from a Studio Ampex with stereo full-track.

At any rate -- Walton Jones recorded "Piece of Mind" on a Wollensak home recorder.
I was there the whole time.
I was there when it Debuted on WUSF-FM on my show, The Underground Railroad with David Hunter, in late Fall of 1969.

As far as I know both Walton and I live.
I can tell you CONCLUSIVELY that the mystery is solved.

Walton Jones DID write, play & sing this track into his Wollensak stereo 4 track recorder & indeed, played with capstan speeds & double tracking & overdubbing.

My name is David Hunter, the first DJ to premiere "The Underground Railroad" at WUSF at the University of South Florida back in the late 60's.

Walton Jones was a friend of mine in the Speech-Theater Department. He had also been a radio DJ back in the Washington DC area before he came to USF. We had met while working on plays together. I knew Walton was a big Beatles fan & claimed to have had a band that played Beatles cover songs while he was in High School.

Walton told me he had met a man at a conference or something back in maybe 1966 to 1967 who said he worked at Abbey Road/Apple studios and had access to work tracks the Beatles and other performers had recorded while developing new songs. Not every song made it, many were just quickies with no really sophisticated engineering. Walton told me that sometimes his friend in London would send him some tape scraps purportedly of the Beatles "messing around".

I had been planning a BEATLES SPECIAL that would last a few hours on my regular airtime shift in the evening on The Underground Radio, the title for those hours on-air playing new albums by all kinds of now classic groups.

Walton and I worked on this together and discussed playing some of the "recording studio floor" tapes as part of the Beatles Special on my show. Then we decided to try our hand at mimicking some of the tapes. Usually crappy quality mish-mashes. That led to the two of us sitting in his apartment off-campus one afternoon as Walton devised a song with "psychedelic" lyrics and slurred choruses.

I would start the Wollensak and be the sound engineer watching the levels. Walton played his upright piano on one dub, then a junky steel-string acoustic guitar with aluminum foil over the strings to simulate a sitar sound.

I may have contributed something, maybe in the chorus or with some sort of percussion but I don't remember the details. We listened back to the takes as we went along and set it up to overdub, able to listen to an already recorded track a couple of seconds behind the live track being recorded, so it took some timing to finesse each re-dub.

Eventually the masterpiece "Piece of Mind" was completed and certainly sounded cheaply made and crappy. But if you wanted to hear Paul or John or George or Ringo or maybe visiting Mick Jagger while in a drug-fogged state of mind you were sure to believe there was evidence if you believed our story of origin.

We introduced this as a mysterious track that we puzzled us and we invited listeners to judge for themselves whether this track was also a throwaway from Apple Records.

I expected more than one person in our audience to record the show because I often made that invitation for listeners to tape record new albums. And I had promoted the multi-hour Beatles Special for days ahead as "Tune In, Don't miss this coming broadcast", a specially produced show featuring everything we could put together as well as back stories.

So now I hear that it was recorded and that one tape still exists.

If the person who made that claim would just upload that recording to Youtube or Vimeo, etc, with my comments as I talked with Walton Jones it would help attest to the truthfulness of my claim after all these years of "mystery".

DEFINITELY, "Piece of Mind" NEVER AIRED until that night on my radio show, I guess in the Fall of 1969 in the Tampa Bay Area.

I visited Walton Jones in Manhattan years later and we talked about that fake, which I guess we may have felt guilt about presenting it as a "mystery song" when we knew we had produced it specifically for the Beatles Special on "The Underground Railroad with David Hunter".

Walton told me had seen the song on some "bootleg" records in Manhattan record stores. I think he said he bought one. It's interesting to see our collaboration actually FEATURED as a lead track and the title of the LP itself.

But, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Blessings!

David Hunter, The Underground Radio, WUSF-FM Stereo, The University of South Florida
ThunderRock, Jul 23, 2021
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... t-27631444

Okay, Paul, that sounds more like it. I'm glad I mixed a wellknown Beatles song into the trailing "garbage" so you had a reference to reTune "Piece of Mind".

Walton Jones and I sound more like ourselves -- not completely, but now I recognize Walt's voice as he sings in his own range and then in his falsetto bits. I did try to prepare our audience for how rough this sounded with harsh assessment, which, I think surprised Walt, so he had to adlib an agreement with me and stress the poor sound quality of his composition on his Wollensak.

As to when this was aired I've most often read November 1969. This is entirely possible due to my own overlapping of years on the air after we got The Underground Railroad up on the air & Walton's partnering with me for some shows.

Thank you for getting this version much closer!
This will probably be the historic annals version from now on.

Thank you, Paul and everyone involved in this thread. Had you not been speculating for years and left a record for me to find after lo this many decades of mystery -- we'd all be in the dark.

David Hunter, WUSF-FM Stereo, "The Orange Freak"
Chris
ksantus

Post by ksantus »

Fantastic, we've all been wondering and discussing this for years. I think the first time I heard/owned the track was on a Beatle Boot LP titled 20X4 that I bought in the mid to late 70's (coulda been later). I always wanted to believe it was a lost Beatle demo but kinda knew in my heart it wasn't.