The Barber Of Seville questions

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
Lord Reith

The Barber Of Seville questions

Post by Lord Reith »

Does anyone know which recording of this music was used at the end of the film Help? I've googled and found only one discussion, and they came to the wrong conclusion (that it is Karajan 1961 but that recording is too slow).

If I could find the original music I could subtract it from the movie soundtrack and be able to hear clearly what The Fabs are doing in the background.

Alternatively, does the 5.1 soundtrack have just the music in the FL and FR speakers? Does anyone have the 5.1 of this one song? I know it doesn't have the isolated Beatles overdubs, but if it has just the music then it might be possible to Shazam it.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Dave1971

Re: The Barber Of Seville questions

Post by Dave1971 »

It's weird. I converted the version that that other discussion was referring to to mono and tried to match up the wave forms. I extracted the portion that was in the film. (5:00 to 7:29) The dynamics are different but that could be on the account of mixing it for the film. Then I also used the Barber of Seville flac file extracted from the actual movie (in mono) from the Returning a Cheese collection. To my ear they sound the same. but I could not match up the waveforms.
I would like to know is was it common practice then or even now (since I don't pat attention) to not credit the actual orchestra for incidental music?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Dave1971 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:00 am It's weird. I converted the version that that other discussion was referring to to mono and tried to match up the wave forms. I extracted the portion that was in the film. (5:00 to 7:29) The dynamics are different but that could be on the account of mixing it for the film. Then I also used the Barber of Seville flac file extracted from the actual movie (in mono) from the Returning a Cheese collection. To my ear they sound the same. but I could not match up the waveforms.
If you listened to them without checking you would think thyey were the same. But under the magnifying glass there are noticeable differences. So they don't synch up at all, even if you changed the tempo.
I would like to know is was it common practice then or even now (since I don't pat attention) to not credit the actual orchestra for incidental music?
Pre-80s (?) they did not credit any music not made by the film's composer. So Ken Thorne gets a credit but Rossini doesn't. This makes for frustration when you find an old movie with nice music in it that you want to find. Pre-internet it was essentially impossible to find out.

I had expected that on the youtube videos I would see an automated music credit, but none of thye videos have one. So either the Beatles voices throw off the content ID bot or it is a very rare recording that has not been released to streaming.
Vee-Jay

Post by Vee-Jay »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:53 pm Does anyone know which recording of this music was used at the end of the film Help? I've googled and found only one discussion, and they came to the wrong conclusion (that it is Karajan 1961 but that recording is too slow).

If I could find the original music I could subtract it from the movie soundtrack and be able to hear clearly what The Fabs are doing in the background.

Alternatively, does the 5.1 soundtrack have just the music in the FL and FR speakers? Does anyone have the 5.1 of this one song? I know it doesn't have the isolated Beatles overdubs, but if it has just the music then it might be possible to Shazam it.
Since it's been determined (and generally accepted) that one of the other three classical selections in the film - the Prelude to Act III from Wagner's Lohengrin - was performed by none other than George Martin and his Orchestra(!), I'm inclined to think that there's a strong possibility that GM could have recorded the Rossini as well. 8-)

Having said that, how do we find out if that's the case?!?
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

I have the end credits from the Help blu-ray 5.1 surround as an mkv if you would like that, M'Lord Reith. Of the 6 channels, only 1 has the Beatles on it, so it should (theoretically) help.

hxxps://we.tl/t-aQIKAkjWB7
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

bobzilla wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:36 am I have the end credits from the Help blu-ray 5.1 surround as an mkv if you would like that, M'Lord Reith. Of the 6 channels, only 1 has the Beatles on it, so it should (theoretically) help.

hxxps://we.tl/t-aQIKAkjWB7
Yes! That has the unadorned music! I shall report back...
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Any chance ?

Side A starts with Barber of Seville overture and Paul could be familiar with the record...

fl.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:13 pm Any chance ?
Side A starts with Barber of Seville overture and Paul could be familiar with the record...
Is that Jane Asher?
The things that bother me...really bother me!
Any help is appreciated.
I can't believe that the Barber isn't identified!
What are unions for, anyway?
KC

Edit: Opportunity seized... "I Need You by George Harrison" shouted twice during the Barber Of Seville is my favorite line in the movie!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

fl.
I didn't know Jane Asher recorded The Barber Of Seville! :lol:

No, seriously, it could be that version. However for my porpoises it doesn't matter much any more because the 5.1 has the unadorned music on the FL and FR channels, so I can just use that instead of having to find the record. I did a quick test and heard lots of things being shouted I had not noticed before but the music is still not completely eliminated. I will have to work some more on that.

Shame they didn't keep the original audio multitracks.
Vee-Jay

Post by Vee-Jay »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:55 pm

fl.
I didn't know Jane Asher recorded The Barber Of Seville! :lol:

No, seriously, it could be that version. However for my porpoises it doesn't matter much any more because the 5.1 has the unadorned music on the FL and FR channels, so I can just use that instead of having to find the record. I did a quick test and heard lots of things being shouted I had not noticed before but the music is still not completely eliminated. I will have to work some more on that.

Shame they didn't keep the original audio multitracks.
This is fascinating! Does it match this version? It's Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra, according to the LP sleeve that Jane is holding. It's a 1956 RCA Victor LP, but the recording is from 1945. https://www.discogs.com/release/8443307 ... -Overtures