REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Rondordrecht193

Re: REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Post by Rondordrecht193 »

and the spoken intro by Ringo on Yellow Submarine is still missing 15 seconds, just like the version on the Real Love CD single released in 1996. Maybe the 15 seconds extra wouldn't have fit on the CD? ;)
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

The stereo mix is nice - overall.
2/3s of the outtakes are wonderful.. the "Yellow Submarine" work tape and "Got To Get You..." are the best IMHO.

But, if you bought the CD set ... you bought a double CD not a box worth of material. Basically, I took all the stereo songs and about half of the outtakes for CD One. Then, all the mono songs with the remainder of the outtakes for CD Two.

I kind of knew this going in, but the reality has sunk in... close to $200 for two 79 plus minute CDs and a book that is not really up to par to other books in the series....

Sorry guys and girls, I really am pissed. You vinyl kids probably love it, but we CD-philes have been ripped (especially with no 5.1/atmos mixes).

And I will say it... IMHO. If you haven't bought it yet, DON'T! Either wait for it to turn up on Ebay or someplace else really cheap or find a friend willing to share. Unless, of course, you want the vinyl or really need everything "official".

For me, fool me once - shame on you... fool me twice, Apple & company will really have to make the remaining boxes exceptional and packed with material goodies before they shame me into buying another. (And yes, I did officially buy the others.)
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

So session chatter at the beginning of She Said She Said take 15 is not from Honey Don't sessions as it's usually showing up on bootlegs. :o
Tex

Post by Tex »

I hope before anyone starts demixing/remixing this stuff they use a genuine LOSSLESS source (ie, the actual CDs) and not 320 bit MP3s converted to FLAC found on the Internets.
mikec

Post by mikec »

The illustrated version in case anyone wants to take a look, read it now or save it until next week with the box in your hands
http://webgrafikk.com/blog/news/revolver-whats-new/
Tex

Post by Tex »

hallucalation wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:23 pm So session chatter at the beginning of She Said She Said take 15 is not from Honey Don't sessions as it's usually showing up on bootlegs. :o
It was pretty obvious to me it didn't belong there. Don't know why anyone thought it was from "Honey Don't".

Was "far out" even a common expression in 1964?
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Engonoceras wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:04 pm I hope before anyone starts demixing/remixing this stuff they use a genuine LOSSLESS source (ie, the actual CDs) and not 320 bit MP3s converted to FLAC found on the Internets.
Good point, would you consider xACT a reliable way to check FLACs ("flac: ok")?

Or maybe Lossless Audio Checker (Windows only, though there is a CLI for Mac I couldn't figure out...).
Tex

Post by Tex »

I have no idea about any programs that automatically check. There was one that people used and it turned out not to be reliable. It was giving false results.

The sure fire method is to look at the spectragraph in Audacity and see if there are large holes in the upper frequencies where data was totally removed. The holes will actually be in the busy parts of a song NOT in the quiet or less busy parts of the song.

Most people can not hear a difference between a 320 CBR MP3 converted to FLAC and real WAV or FLAC. So, if people think they can spot an MP3 source (320 CBR) just by listening I'm sorry you most likely can not. I still have excellent hearing up to 17khz and I can't hear the difference.
rfwood1

Post by rfwood1 »

The stereo mix is nice - overall.
2/3s of the outtakes are wonderful.. the "Yellow Submarine" work tape and "Got To Get You..." are the best IMHO.

But, if you bought the CD set ... you bought a double CD not a box worth of material. Basically, I took all the stereo songs and about half of the outtakes for CD One. Then, all the mono songs with the remainder of the outtakes for CD Two.

I kind of knew this going in, but the reality has sunk in...close to $200 for two 79 plus minute CDs and a book that is not really up to par to other books in the series....

Sorry guys and girls, I really am pissed. You vinyl kids probably love it, but we CD-philes have been ripped (especially with no 5.1/atmos mixes).

And I will say it...IMHO. If you haven't bought it yet, DON'T! Either wait for it to turn up on Ebay or someplace else really cheap or find a friend willing to share. Unless, of course, you want the vinyl or really need everything "official".

For me, fool me once - shame on you... fool me twice, Apple & company will really have to make the remaining boxes exceptional and packed with material goodies before they shame me into buying another. (And yes, I did officially buy the others.)
[/quote]

- - - - -

I heard the box set, courtesy of my friend and I share your views. The redone LPs sound nice, but the outtakes were a disappointment. Like you, I will not be buying this overpriced set - retail. It will show up at a bargain price soon and then I will consider adding it to my collection.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Engonoceras wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:43 pm I have no idea about any programs that automatically check. There was one that people used and it turned out not to be reliable. It was giving false results.

The sure fire method is to look at the spectragraph in Audacity and see if there are large holes in the upper frequencies where data was totally removed. The holes will actually be in the busy parts of a song NOT in the quiet or less busy parts of the song.

Most people can not hear a difference between a 320 CBR MP3 converted to FLAC and real WAV or FLAC. So, if people think they can spot an MP3 source (320 CBR) just by listening I'm sorry you most likely can not. I still have excellent hearing up to 17khz and I can't hear the difference.
In Audacity, would that be Analyze>Plot Spectrum? And if we see purple all the way from from 50 to 20000 I guess that's a good thing? I notice most mp3s fall short of the 20000 to varying degrees but so do some FLACs I checked, maybe depending on the original type of audio content?

As for mp3/320, I agree they sound quite good in general. I mash all interviews and documentaries that way using XLD, also cover versions and some artists' live shows.

An mp3 might have a little less "air" compared to FLAC but you have to listen closely.

And as for all the hi-res in my collection (24/16, 24/48, 24/96 – that's as high as I bother to keep), I suspect I'm just wasting disk space... But it feels good to know I have important music in that format ;-)

I'm usually stuck on headphones and my Mac can "only" output up to 24/96. I can't really enjoy my 12" 1970s Erath speakers like I would prefer due to circumstances...