Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
harrythebannister

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by harrythebannister »

When Pepper was released it was aimed at CD buyers with the vinyl version being just a double album of highlights. Since then there has been a major shift towards the vinyl version. The running time fits in with the vinyl and the E.P only makes any kind of sense when released on vinyl. The CD version has become a giant rip off with more than 50% of the storage empty. Let’s face it you are paying for mainly blank plastic when everything could have been squeezed into 2 or 3 cd’s at half the cost.
They are definitely aiming these at the vinyl market now and although I don’t agree they will phase out the CDs completely, they are making them more and more unattractive for fans to purchase.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

harrythebannister wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:44 am When Pepper was released it was aimed at CD buyers with the vinyl version being just a double album of highlights. Since then there has been a major shift towards the vinyl version. The running time fits in with the vinyl and the E.P only makes any kind of sense when released on vinyl. The CD version has become a giant rip off with more than 50% of the storage empty. Let’s face it you are paying for mainly blank plastic when everything could have been squeezed into 2 or 3 cd’s at half the cost.
They are definitely aiming these at the vinyl market now and although I don’t agree they will phase out the CDs completely, they are making them more and more unattractive for fans to purchase.
Vinyl has certainly risen greatly in stature for Apple over the past few years. There's now signs that Apple consider the vinyl box set to be the primary release: the limiting of the cd lengths to match vinyl running times; the appearance of the "EP" starting with the LIB box, which without the vinyl set would seem utterly daft (I know a lot of people think it's daft anyway, but I actually love EPs so I'm okay with this. The only thing that riles me is that they used the green re-issues cover from the singles for the Paperback Writer EP. Sorry, but no! Do a proper flipping cover for it, you penny pinchers!)

They also seem to have gotten on the "vinyl is more cool and prestigious so we can hike the price up 75%" bandwagon. I don't know how much it costs to press records these days, but considering that they are just lumps of polymer it surely can't be much in huge quantities. So the vinyl sets, while they sell less currently, are more profitable.
Just like Apple now, seemingly, focusses on merch rather than media for its income, I wonder if, in the future, lavish gift books might be a more profitable venture than CD box sets.
They are definitely focusing heavily on merchandise, which is part of the reason why I think they like vinyl. No one can burn their own vinyl record, so the only way to get it is to buy it. Meanwhile the transition of digital files to the internet means that they can concentrate on making small runs of the more profitable vinyl sets and not have to bother with CD production any longer. The dissappearance of the bluray is to me a clear indicator of their future intentions.
They have been trying for five years or more to overplay repetitive music over the radio to convince younger music fans that the music will always be there so no need to buy it 'just click a like button on a media site' instead as most music fades away unpreserved.
And I think this is all going to end in tears. Once Disney, Netflix and all of those streaming companies had enough sunscribers, they ditched the free 30 day trials. Once Amazon have put everybody else out of business and rule the planet, all the free postage and price matching will suddenly disappear. And once people no longer own any of their own music or movies, the streaming model will transition to a pay-per-listen/watch model. It's all a gigantic confidence trick to make mugs out of everyone, and sadly the greater public is falling for it. Once they have us where they want us, they will be ruthless.

I think even Apple is being a bit ruthless with this latest box. They know that once the fans have already acquired the four previous boxes, they simply have to have the rest. They may whinge and complain about the sudden price hike, but that's all hot air. They know we'll all buy them, and the price will get higher with every release. Buying the vinyl Revolver is a very big deal to me. It is a lot of money that I don't really have and I know I'm being played, but I can't stand the thought of missing out. They've got me. The first few cheaper sets were the sucker punch, now they are hitting us hard.
AndInTheEnd

Post by AndInTheEnd »

"They know we'll all buy them, and the price will get higher with every release. "

It's a tricky line, and I for one will NOT be bullied into buying this one simply on the basis that I have all the others. I will be taking a stand, and sadly it will mark the end of my keeping up with all their archival releases.

I know it is just a marketing ploy, but the fact that most of the real fans are those of us of a mostly older age (and gradually dying out), they are not doing their elderly fan base proud.

I shall listen to what I can of this boxset on Spotify (though I will be quitting that soon too), but I won't cry over the spilled milk of not having this one. I've far better things to spend my limited money on rather than lining Apple, Disney, McCartney's, Starr's etc's pockets further now. The limitations of the "Get Back" release was the beginning of the end for me.

Rant over.

AiTE
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Actually you will be able to listen to it for free (legally) on youtube too. It's lossy, but still sounds fairly decent. But the labels seem to be really pushing the whole lossless/hirez thing now as a way of getting people off free streaming and onto subscriptions. They surely make almost nothing from youtube's ad revenue, so subscriptions are the only way forward into the future. When the public has fully bought into the lossless concept in the same way as they bought into dvds and blurays, that's when the production of cds will really fall off.

Frankly I'm continually surprised that The Beatles don't have their own streaming channel. It could be so great. We've got Disney, AppleTV, Britbox and all that, so why no Beatles channel? Surely every fan on the planet would sign up. I know I would!
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:23 am I wonder about the books though. Does anyone have an idea how many copies the GET BACK BOOK sold? Was it a good seller?

Just like Apple now, seemingly, focusses on merch rather than media for its income, I wonder if, in the future, lavish gift books might be a more profitable venture than CD box sets.
Being done at this very moment. British publishing house Wymer Publishing makes nice-looking coffee-table books, mostly on the heavy & hard side of veteran rock bands (Uriah Heep, Nazareth, Blue Oyster Cult, UFO, etc. - all of them never having a coffee-table book to their name, so it can be expected the sales are good), but venturing into other directions, too (say, Dire Straits, who are criminally neglected book-wise) - their RRP is 60 GBP, but many are halved by Wymer themselves, and those which aren't, can be found at something like 35 GBP in new condition from reputable dealers, so no need to fork out 60 pounds for their product. Some even can be bought from Wymer at 20 GBP (for LF hardbacks) or even less (I've got a great one on Alice Cooper for 12 GBP from them, LF paperback). Some early ones seem to be "limited editions of 1,000", like a very nice volume on Blue Oyster Cult, but I think they've changed their tactic and went "unlimited", at least with certain titles.

What I look for in the Beatles boxsets is the book. Anything of their current standard and of John Lennon's boxes means I'll make sure to buy it. I hope they won't be as foolish as to eliminate their CD boxes line, it'd be a really irresponsible move from any company since the masses were lured from vinyl to CD at the end of 1980s.
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

It's probably worth noting that when the Monkees' 40th anniversary 2-CD reissues (of their first four albums) came out in 2006, there was a similar talk about how everything was going to go all-digital soon, and that this may be the last time those albums would be released in a physical CD format. However, in the sixteen years since, we've had 3-CD deluxe box sets for nearly all of their albums, with another one likely on the way this year. Food for thought....
harrythebannister

dascottjr wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:47 pm we've had 3-CD deluxe box sets for nearly all of their albums, with another one likely on the way this year. Food for thought....
Where did you hear about this....great news if true. :D
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

Andrew Sandoval's Instagram stories posted a short video of a 45rpm single being made of two session tracks from Headquarters. This will most assuredly be a bonus 45rpm record that will come with a Headquarters 3-CD set (which will certainly be different from the 3-CD set released two decades ago). No definite release date or track list, but it will either come out late this year or early next year.
harrythebannister

Great news...I have all the others plus the Blu-ray box and all the vinyl that goes with them. Headquarters and PAC and Jones are my favourite two Monkees albums so hopefully they will continue.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Revolver is making the front cover of Mojo https://www.mojo4music.com/magazine/lat ... e-beatles/