The Beatles Black Box Mono Collection (1982)

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
beatlesnyttigt

Re: The Beatles Black Box Mono Collection (1982)

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Many MANY Black thanks Mrbeatleg, gorgeous :D Robert
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

yymca6 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:53 pm Thanks guys for the multiple and diverse answers I had to my question (not so silly question after all).
I know Audacity could do the splitting job but it looks complicated, at least to me.

Ay efficient app, preferably in Mac ?
Thanks to Mrbeatleg for another amazing share from his bottomless pit of STUFF!

As for splitting LP tracks, of course you would rip each side of the disc in one shot and split (or not) later. I always do the splits for my own collection, and go a step further and clean the tops and tails of each song.

I don't care for the vinyl "experience", I heard enough of that back in the day! IMO, vinyl noise is the medium that gets in the way of the message. There was no crackle or rumble in the studio. But the warmth (so they say)-!

I personally recommend Sound Studio 4 for Mac (you can add markers, and batch split them all in one shot).

In Audacity you can split up the long track by using Edit>Audio Clips>Split, but I'm trying to figure out how to export the pieces separately (the various File>Export options are not doing it for me).
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

Just curious alphabeatles...and I know t's pedantic, but when you split tracks do you hold to the silence between tracks. I know it's a bit stupid, but I 'hear' the pauses between songs because I've heard the original LPs so often it's ingrained
InnerLight

Post by InnerLight »

In Audacity I usually just

1) place "Labels" using Ctrl-B (Windows) at the very beginning, then at the start of every track
2) name them "01 She Loves You", "02 This Boy" and so on
3) do File | Export | Export Multiple
4) in section "Split Files Based On" I select "Labels", and in section "Name Files" I select "Using Label/Track Name"

You could probably leave the number out of the label and then choose one of the other options in "Name Files". I just do it this way because I then have the option of skipping things (think non-Beatles recordings). Like if there's a long talking section, or 30 seconds of static I want to skip, I'll just label it "00 Static" or "00 Skip1" or something like that and all the bits I want are numbered the way I want them.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

robbmacc wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:27 am Just curious alphabeatles...and I know t's pedantic, but when you split tracks do you hold to the silence between tracks. I know it's a bit stupid, but I 'hear' the pauses between songs because I've heard the original LPs so often it's ingrained
No problem, no, like I said, I don't care about the vinyl experience. I make each track standalone, clean – almost like a CD but with vinyl-sourced audio (within the song itself).
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

InnerLight wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 am In Audacity I usually just

1) place "Labels" using Ctrl-B (Windows) at the very beginning, then at the start of every track
4) in section "Split Files Based On" I select "Labels", and in section "Name Files" I select "Using Label/Track Name"

You could probably leave the number out of the label and then choose one of the other options in "Name Files". I just do it this way because I then have the option of skipping things (think non-Beatles recordings). Like if there's a long talking section, or 30 seconds of static I want to skip, I'll just label it "00 Static" or "00 Skip1" or something like that and all the bits I want are numbered the way I want them.
Thanks for taking time to offer your advice!
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Chris
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

InnerLight wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 am In Audacity I usually just

Thanks for these precise instructions.

I just did PPM and I think it's OK. I did it on bigger waveforms to be sure to get the silences out at the end of the songs, but also kept the uncut tracks just in case.
Yves
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

Tubla wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:05 pm The 'Black Mono Box' contains UK albums pressed in UK mainly for export to the US as I understand it but I can't understand is why there's no
'gibberish' at the end of A Day In The Life.
I know that it's not on the US made albums but shouldn't it be on here?

Tubla (Stephan)
when i was ripping this I didn't let it go to the inner groove. I stopped it after the long last chord and I should have let it go. I discovered that there is the "inner groove" gibberish. I am re-recording it and will post it. Sorry for the mix up.
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

This is a replacement for Side 2 of Sgt Pepper. When I was ripping side 2 I did not let it go to the inner groove. This was pointed out in the post. (thanks Tubla for noticing this)

Sorry for the mix up. I re-recorded side 2 and it now has the gibberish at the end.

Just delete the original Side 2 download and replace it with this one.

hxxps://we.tl/t-GSseTSokKd