CCR Royal Albert Hall Video To Be Officially Released

General music and other artist discussions.
Rickenbacker325

Re: CCR Royal Albert Hall Video To Be Officially Released

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Kwai Chang wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:00 pm There was a CCR special on TV in 1970 or 1971. It was a documentary about a concert at Oakland Coliseum w/ Booker T & The MGs as support.
Apart from the jam session at 'Cosmo's Factory' and Time Is Tight...the rest of the show sounds very identical to the Albert Hall LIVE album. Even the banter sounds identical. The sound is pretty average with no bass or rhythm guitar being audible. John Fogerty is always note perfect and Clifford's drums are almost discernable but, I hope Giles is going to perform some kind of magic. It wouldn't take much for a decent show to finally receive its due. I only hope that if it's atmos mixing that's waiting for us that there will be something new to distinguish the shows as separate events!
I was wondering if John C. had done some kind of razzle dazzle to oblige his contractual demands. Weren't they a three piece unit by the time the UK got to see them?
Oh well, the Woodstock Album (OST 3-LP) could have been much more than it was had there been a side of CCR's set!
I didn't realize until recently, that John Fogerty was a shipping clerk at Fantasy Records when Saul Zaentz signed the quartet of high school chums!
And, it was Creedence money that allowed Saul to capitalize on One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest!
Bittersweet, and swampy.
Giles...beware the HooDoo!
KC
I wish they’d put the Oakland documentary out…I believe it was a PBS show…and that show was a great recording as well as a great performance
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Royal Albert Hall is CCR as a four-piece. Tom didn't leave the fold until early '71. From then they continued as a three-piece. John caved in to the demands of Stu and Doug that they be allowed to contribute songs. The result was "Mardi Gras," an album that should never have been.
It was like, You guys want to contribute, right? OK, you get three songs each. Sheesh! I'll play guitar on your stuff if you want me to. But the decisions, production values, and aftermath are all on you.

After the sheer brilliance of the 1st five albums, and the heavy swing of "Pendulum" in the opposite direction, but which many still treasure as a great album, "Mardi Gras," to me, plumbs the depths of lackluster.

The CCR "Live in Europe" album, recorded in early '71, captures CCR as a three-piece band in concert.
Last edited by Ziggy C on Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Grove

Post by Albert Grove »

Will there be a standalone DVD or Blu-ray release of the Travelin' Band film?
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

It's on Netflix right now, I really enjoyed it. Bob Smeaton (Anthology) is the director. They did a fantastic job on the film restoration . . . it's a huge improvement on the bootleg tape.
Last edited by Gringo557 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beatles4you

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

A nice little documentary piece with the obligatory "history of the band" story. Several teases of European footage from non-RAH shows leave me wondering, "So where's THAT stuff??"

A fairly mediocre remixed concert, sounding somewhat distorted. And the vocals get buried in the mix at several points. The most egregious sin is that this isn't the complete unedited concert. It is the complete concert. But it has been edited; for some inexplicable reason the producers opted to start the show with Travelin' Band, which is, in actuality, the fourth song played. Everyone knows that they started most of their Post-Bayou Country sets with Born On The Bayou.

Other than that, I found the experience refreshing. Very nice to see this footage finally get some kind of official release. Interested to see what else is in the can. Because now we know there's a wealth of other stuff in the can.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Several teases of European footage from non-RAH shows leave me wondering, "So where's THAT stuff??"

Same thought here! Gorgeous footage of 1968-1969 TV show performances . . .
Rickenbacker325

Gringo557 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:28 am Several teases of European footage from non-RAH shows leave me wondering, "So where's THAT stuff??"

Same thought here! Gorgeous footage of 1968-1969 TV show performances . . .
The European footage…which is great…seems to be using the Oakland audio…and the Royal Albert Hall show has actual film footage added and looks great..this was also apparent in the YouTube clips
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

I've watched Albert Hall twice in two days on Netflix. I think the Oakland Coliseum TV doc was much better. Only because there was no history lesson. It was about that one concert and had lots of current interview clips and full length(?) performances of songs. There was Booker T & MGs - Time Is Tight from concert...and a bit of the jam session on Saturday night at Cosmo's Factory featuring the two bands together(Steve Cropper and John Fogerty...turn it UP). I had taped the Oakland doc on cassette and when the LIVE IN EUROPE LP was released in 1973 I realized that the audio was the same as the cassette I had recorded off of the TV. Anyhoo, The segment of Green River on The Andy Williams Show was new to me. Also, I never knew that they played that many European cities. The Oakland Concert documentary was on YouTube about five years ago. I was able to capture it but it was lost in an External hard drive when it was dropped. Since then, I can't find it. Otherwise, this is an average overview that will have to do. There is obviously other stuff that we still haven't seen. That alone saves this documentary from being a last gasp. I didn't even know they played Woodstock until the performance got released three(?) years ago. They were the biggest thing around when Cosmo's Factory and Pendulum were released. Then, oblivion. What a bummer!
So, WHERE Is the REAL audio?
Calling Saul Zaentz!
KC
Rickenbacker325

Kwai Chang wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:19 pm I've watched Albert Hall twice in two days on Netflix. I think the Oakland Coliseum TV doc was much better. Only because there was no history lesson. It was about that one concert and had lots of current interview clips and full length(?) performances of songs. There was Booker T & MGs - Time Is Tight from concert...and a bit of the jam session on Saturday night at Cosmo's Factory featuring the two bands together(Steve Cropper and John Fogerty...turn it UP). I had taped the Oakland doc on cassette and when the LIVE IN EUROPE LP was released in 1973 I realized that the audio was the same as the cassette I had recorded off of the TV. Anyhoo, The segment of Green River on The Andy Williams Show was new to me. Also, I never knew that they played that many European cities. The Oakland Concert documentary was on YouTube about five years ago. I was able to capture it but it was lost in an External hard drive when it was dropped. Since then, I can't find it. Otherwise, this is an average overview that will have to do. There is obviously other stuff that we still haven't seen. That alone saves this documentary from being a last gasp. I didn't even know they played Woodstock until the performance got released three(?) years ago. They were the biggest thing around when Cosmo's Factory and Pendulum were released. Then, oblivion. What a bummer!
So, WHERE Is the REAL audio?
Calling Saul Zaentz!
KC
If I may be so bold to correct you sir….the Live in Europe audio was a completely different tour and period…it’s the trio version of CCR…The LP you are thinking of was “The Concert” which wwe all know was misidentified as the Royal Albert Hall. I think the Oakland documentary is on YouTube somewhere and you are absolutely correct in saying that one was better. Great stuff all around