Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
zaval80

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by zaval80 »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:58 pm It's telling that the set we are looking forward to, Sometime In NYC, also happens to be his worst album. But because his team puts out top-notch packages, we know they will make even the crappiest album worth buying.
Hope they'll make a book as well. I've got the "Collector's Edition" for Imagine, and for POB it seems there was a standard one only. The right-on approach, thanks Yoko!
SlvrHmrMn

Post by SlvrHmrMn »

Doug wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:02 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:49 am Diminishing returns and all that. All a bit depressing and somewhat spoils what is otherwise an exciting event.
I feel exactly the same way... and it is depressing because I want to be excited about this. Seriously.. I think I'm looking forward more to the "Sometime In New York City" box, even though that's one of the worst albums ever made, because at least the Lennon team seems to be generous with the amount of material in their sets, giving purchasers their money's worth and a good overall look at the making of each of John's albums.

The rule at Team Beatles, however, seems to be "how can we give them as little as possible - duplicating as much as possible what they already have, and how much can we get away with charging for it, because, you know, those sandal-wearing numbskulls will buy ANYTHING."

It really is an insult, and takes a lot of the pleasure away from buying a product when you not only feel but KNOW from the outset that these !!@(#*'s are intentionally ripping you off.
I keep saying this, but the outtakes discs should always be PACKED with audio. And Revolver itself is only 35 minutes, so both mono and stereo mixes could have fit on one disc. The whole thing seems stuck in the 90s, and if it's not exactly contemptuous of fandom, it's indicative of a complete disregard for the people who want these archival sets. Elitist gatekeeping, if you will. The Dylan and Elvis camps understand their fan base, but Apple does not.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

SlvrHmrMn wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:43 am
Doug wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:02 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:49 am Diminishing returns and all that. All a bit depressing and somewhat spoils what is otherwise an exciting event.
I feel exactly the same way... and it is depressing because I want to be excited about this. Seriously.. I think I'm looking forward more to the "Sometime In New York City" box, even though that's one of the worst albums ever made, because at least the Lennon team seems to be generous with the amount of material in their sets, giving purchasers their money's worth and a good overall look at the making of each of John's albums.

The rule at Team Beatles, however, seems to be "how can we give them as little as possible - duplicating as much as possible what they already have, and how much can we get away with charging for it, because, you know, those sandal-wearing numbskulls will buy ANYTHING."

It really is an insult, and takes a lot of the pleasure away from buying a product when you not only feel but KNOW from the outset that these !!@(#*'s are intentionally ripping you off.
I keep saying this, but the outtakes discs should always be PACKED with audio. And Revolver itself is only 35 minutes, so both mono and stereo mixes could have fit on one disc. The whole thing seems stuck in the 90s, and if it's not exactly contemptuous of fandom, it's indicative of a complete disregard for the people who want these archival sets. Elitist gatekeeping, if you will. The Dylan and Elvis camps understand their fan base, but Apple does not.
The Elvis and Dylan sets do not have identical LP sets though, while Apple at least tries to give both worlds the same amount of tracks in the sets. I agree with the idea though that since the discs are not used within reasonable capacity a reduced price should reflect that.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

zaval80 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:14 am
Ziggy C wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:58 pm It's telling that the set we are looking forward to, Sometime In NYC, also happens to be his worst album. But because his team puts out top-notch packages, we know they will make even the crappiest album worth buying.
Hope they'll make a book as well. I've got the "Collector's Edition" for Imagine, and for POB it seems there was a standard one only. The right-on approach, thanks Yoko!
No! Remember, THANK SEAN - POB was the first set Yoko handed over for Sean to be in control of the release. When the world says blah to Sean's own music career he takes it out on the John fans by reducing the quality level. Not like he totally sabotaged it, they love to cash in on the fact that they at least have shared more of John's private music than any of the other three Beatles, but he still did not go out of his way to use too much more than whats been already bootlegged, compared with the Imagine set. I would have liked bigger more readable photos of the session tape boxes.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

I hate to be a contrarian, but I'm not a fan of this mix at all. Sure, the placement of the instruments are more comfortable, but it just doesn't sound as bright and clear as the original stereo, like a towel has been put on the speakers. Not to mention obvious isolation artifacts where the guitar solo is. The song sounds neutered and muddy.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Garrett wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:38 am I hate to be a contrarian, but I'm not a fan of this mix at all. Sure, the placement of the instruments are more comfortable, but it just doesn't sound as bright and clear as the original stereo, like a towel has been put on the speakers. Not to mention obvious isolation artifacts where the guitar solo is. The song sounds neutered and muddy.
Seems these official releases are the raw material for you and others to improve upon ;-)
General Pepper

Post by General Pepper »

skynet wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:21 pm
you know... there was a time in which Entomology was vetoed to be shared as you would be kicked out of the famous "inner Circle" of the hard core collectors, as it was just shared with a couple of fortunate people... after that these 2 versions were "released" sometime ago in BZ which was good thing as these tracks had been already Superseed (sans a couple, such as the "She Said, She Said" [Or "He Said, He said" :D ])... anyway, here are the 2 versions i hope these are useful for you guys

Regards
Thanks for these. Much appreciated.

I had contact with a serious collector a few years ago who said it would blow my mind if I knew what some collectors have. Wouldn't (or couldn't?) go into any details.

So what else does the "inner circle" have that we're not worthy of possessing?

GP
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

General Pepper wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:50 am
skynet wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:21 pm
you know... there was a time in which Entomology was vetoed to be shared as you would be kicked out of the famous "inner Circle" of the hard core collectors, as it was just shared with a couple of fortunate people... after that these 2 versions were "released" sometime ago in BZ which was good thing as these tracks had been already Superseed (sans a couple, such as the "She Said, She Said" [Or "He Said, He said" :D ])... anyway, here are the 2 versions i hope these are useful for you guys

Regards
Thanks for these. Much appreciated.

I had contact with a serious collector a few years ago who said it would blow my mind if I knew what some collectors have. Wouldn't (or couldn't?) go into any details.

GP
I wish I could get into that inner circle very much. :cry:
(No I'm not actually crying about it)
Ants

Post by Ants »

General Pepper wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:50 am I had contact with a serious collector a few years ago who said it would blow my mind if I knew what some collectors have. Wouldn't (or couldn't?) go into any details.

GP
I guess they have acetates (like the "Happiness Is A Warm Gun In Your Hand" one), videos and something else.

No, I don't think they have Carnival Of Light or Helter Skelter Take 3, etc.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:26 am
zaval80 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:14 am
No! Remember, THANK SEAN - POB was the first set Yoko handed over for Sean to be in control of the release. When the world says blah to Sean's own music career he takes it out on the John fans by reducing the quality level. Not like he totally sabotaged it, they love to cash in on the fact that they at least have shared more of John's private music than any of the other three Beatles, but he still did not go out of his way to use too much more than whats been already bootlegged, compared with the Imagine set. I would have liked bigger more readable photos of the session tape boxes.
seriously, thanks to Sean, the POB boxset set a whole new standard for boxsets, 8 discs of new content is just amazing, best boxset of all time in my opinion, I hope the next few boxsets hold to the standard POB set