Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
batdude98

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by batdude98 »

tmangia wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:41 am So what's new for us on this new release? I've seen articles on wogew's blog about what were the unreleased stuff for Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be deluxe series, but haven't seen one for this. Wogew has a post about the recording sessions, but it doesn't clarify if there are some unbootlegged material.

Thanks
The Wogew post was taken from me, and everything without an Appears On credit or a Circulating Unofficially credit has not circulated.

Full breakdown as follows--

To my count there are:

Five Anthology 2 repeats

TNK Take 1
GTGYIML Take 5
AYBCS/Take 2/Giggling
I'm Only Sleeping (Rehearsal Fragment)
Taxman (Take 11)

(Yellow Sub Take 4 appears in a different mix on the Real Love CD single)

and

four booted tracks

Paperback Writer (Takes 1 & 2/Backing Track) -- we have the vocal on Take 2
Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono Mix RM 11)
For No One (Take 10/Backing Track) -- we have the monitor mixes
She Said She Said (John's Demo)

and three actual versions of circulating outtfakes:

Rain (Take 5)
Rain (Take 5/Slowed Down For Master Tape)
And Your Bird Can Sing (First Version/Take 2) -- we have OOPSed versions

That leaves 19 truly unreleased tracks! That's most of the set!

I'm sure Mike Carrera will do a "What's New" closer to release, too.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I like what I'm hearing mostly, but the price... gads... are they taking the piss? Surely those prices can't be right?! That is a massive amount of money for 4 lps and an EP. We are basically paying for a very very expensive book. I think with a download voucher thrown in for the hirez versions and the Atmos mix it would make it over the line, but this seems very parsimonious to me. Why shouldn't people who fork out all this for the SDE get the hirez stuff for free like they did before with the bluray? It's not going to stop some people buying the download versions.

I was really looking forward to getting the vinyl SDE, but I can't bring myself to pay 200 pounds for it. It's not like I'm rolling in cash to begin with, but I gotta ask myself what I'm getting for all this money. Some nice records to look at, or play if I wanna get my turntable out. And a book to read, maybe once.

I think now I would like to buy the download version, assuming it comes with a pdf of the book. And just keep it all virtual. Because the next set will be 250 pounds, and the one after that 300 and so on. And in the end I'm pretty sure that by the time we get to 1963, there will be no box at all - just a remixed vinyl lp, a single 30 minute lp of outtakes and a "booklet". No cd version. And it'll cost the same too.

Diminishing returns and all that. All a bit depressing and somewhat spoils what is otherwise an exciting event.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Concerning the music...

It seems that Giles has fully abandoned his original take on remixing these albums, which was to stamp his own personality on the mix. That was the problem with the Pepper mix for me, in that the music was filtered through the producer's "veil" where their take on the music becomes part and parcel of it. This grew progressively lighter with each remix and now it seems they are going for a "modern retro" and more respectful approach. The remixing team aren't getting in our face here. The mixes are reassuringly familiar in their hard-panned elements, but the rhythm section has been brought to centre stage (mostly) and the clarity has been dialed up a few notches. This I like, because I can just enjoy the album without getting distracted by anachronistic sounds. So, much as I expected, this release is a game changer and points the way for future remixes.

I will play this album a lot. And enjoy it.
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/bea ... 235362815/

Rubber Soul SDE confirmed?

If not, do we think about doing ‘Revolver’ and ‘Rubber Soul’ all together and just have outtakes from both?
The very thought of a set combining two such favorite albums might send a shiver down some Beatles fans’ spines, but fortunately, both records had enough top-quality alternate versions that everyone felt fine, as it were, about moving ahead.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Yellowwhale456

Post by Yellowwhale456 »

Thanks Phil-Lip for the Giles Martin interview, very interesting.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

While I am a bit disappointed in the whole surround sitch, I can understand why it would be underwhelming at best. Today, artists have at least 64 tracks that they can record to. That makes for a wealth of material from which to draw an awesome sounding surround mix. Back in the days of 4 tracks, though, there wasn't a whole lot of stuff committed to tape. As Giles says, you had drums, guitar, bass guitar, and vocals. Maybe another percussion instrument here and there. But nowhere near the overkill of today. So a surround mix of something like Revolver, or anything earlier, would be rather sparse and less interesting than my wildest dreams. Perhaps the brass in GTGYIML could be mixed to the rear. Perhaps the backwards tape loops and sounds in TNK could be swirling around the room. Or the sound effects in YS. In all, maybe 5 or 6 songs on Revolver might benefit from a surround mix. But an entire album put through the process for the benefit of just a few songs doesn't make sense.

Now...as for Hi-Res stereo...there's absolutely no excuse for not having it in this set. So once again, where is the damn BluRay?
Last edited by Ziggy C on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:49 am Diminishing returns and all that. All a bit depressing and somewhat spoils what is otherwise an exciting event.
I feel exactly the same way... and it is depressing because I want to be excited about this. Seriously.. I think I'm looking forward more to the "Sometime In New York City" box, even though that's one of the worst albums ever made, because at least the Lennon team seems to be generous with the amount of material in their sets, giving purchasers their money's worth and a good overall look at the making of each of John's albums.

The rule at Team Beatles, however, seems to be "how can we give them as little as possible - duplicating as much as possible what they already have, and how much can we get away with charging for it, because, you know, those sandal-wearing numbskulls will buy ANYTHING."

It really is an insult, and takes a lot of the pleasure away from buying a product when you not only feel but KNOW from the outset that these !!@(#*'s are intentionally ripping you off.
skynet

Post by skynet »

virtualcrane wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:22 pm
Patrick Healy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:56 pm
csnyfan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:34 pm
The best source for the demo is Entomology, and it's in pristine and vastly superior quality there. :D Looks like the SDE team used the same source that Coltturkey used for Home Demos, but IDK what that is.
Can someone share entomology?
Well if it's not as bad as IMM 1970 mix last year then that's something.
+1 on the entomology request
you know... there was a time in which Entomology was vetoed to be shared as you would be kicked out of the famous "inner Circle" of the hard core collectors, as it was just shared with a couple of fortunate people... after that these 2 versions were "released" sometime ago in BZ which was good thing as these tracks had been already Superseed (sans a couple, such as the "She Said, She Said" [Or "He Said, He said" :D ])... anyway, here are the 2 versions i hope these are useful for you guys

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rlgyMbH4JXrpFznXFSgFK90cDyKONyxR?usp=sharing

Regards
BeatlesVI

Post by BeatlesVI »

"here are the 2 versions i hope these are useful for you guys"

Thank you very much!
...the member formerly known as "sirguitarist"
Golem

Post by Golem »

Doug wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:02 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:49 am Diminishing returns and all that. All a bit depressing and somewhat spoils what is otherwise an exciting event.
I feel exactly the same way... and it is depressing because I want to be excited about this. Seriously.. I think I'm looking forward more to the "Sometime In New York City" box, even though that's one of the worst albums ever made, because at least the Lennon team seems to be generous with the amount of material in their sets, giving purchasers their money's worth and a good overall look at the making of each of John's albums.

The rule at Team Beatles, however, seems to be "how can we give them as little as possible - duplicating as much as possible what they already have, and how much can we get away with charging for it, because, you know, those sandal-wearing numbskulls will buy ANYTHING."

It really is an insult, and takes a lot of the pleasure away from buying a product when you not only feel but KNOW from the outset that these !!@(#*'s are intentionally ripping you off.
I can't wait for that set, last lennon album that I REALLY want a set for. hope they're still doing it