Things you wish too late you'd bought ...

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: Things you wish too late you'd bought ...

Post by Lord Reith »

dascottjr wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:07 am For the sake of fairness, at least some of those CD box sets from that era were just as lovely as having a vinyl album, particularly Artifacts 1-3 and the LP-sized Great Dane BBC Sessions set, all of which had exceptionally nice, thematic packaging and booklets.
Yes that was a good one but it's only comparitively late in the game that Apple got into that. Certainly the deuxe sets are beautiful... but the vinyl set is still preferable as an artifact (at least for me). I'm not interested in playing it... I can play the hirez file for that.
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 am ... I sold all my first copies of the original albums to a 2nd hand bookshop one morning in 1982. They respresented my Beatles journey from when I first asked for Rock And Roll Music in Christmas 1976. The guy gave me just barely enough to buy the first bootleg lp I had ever seen across town, but when I went back it was already gone. I gradually replaced all the records (over a space of six years!) but to this day that is a deep wound, because those records given to me by my parents would have been among my most treasured possessions. :cry:
Oh no, this is really sad. What possessed you to sell your records that morning? :o

In the mid 90s I also bought Yellow Dog's Day By Day series. Volume by volume as they came out, and all in all they were really expensive. I had all 38 volumes. It was the time before downloading. Then Purple Chicks A/B Road came out. I needed space and money and so I sold the whole Day By Day set on eBay for peanuts. (funny enough the buyer was from Japan). So with the Day By Day set, I burnt a lot of money. First I wished I hadn't bought it, then I wished I hadn't sold it. That's life. ;)
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Wish I had bought a John Lennon autograph from a guy I knew in the late 70's. The Beatles were out of fashion at the time and I could have got it for about £30. But it was a lot of money back then, nearly a weeks wages :(

I wish I hadn't sold the complete set of Beatles picture disc singles (UK) from the 80's. I don't know why I did, I didn't need the money at the time.

There should be another thread about Charity Shop finds. A couple of months ago I found 'Those Were The Days' by Mary Hopkin (SAPCOR 23) in excellent condition. A bit pricey at £5. I volunteer at an Upcycle charity and this week I came across 'No One's Gonna Change Our World' LP. The cover was ok but the LP was in terrible condition so gave that a miss (I already have a copy of this). I did buy a box set of 'Under Milk Wood' on cassette for £1. Got it home and read the liner notes to find out it was a George Martin production. Nice.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ennolenno wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:00 am
In the mid 90s I also bought Yellow Dog's Day By Day series. Volume by volume as they came out, and all in all they were really expensive. I had all 38 volumes. It was the time before downloading. Then Purple Chicks A/B Road came out. I needed space and money and so I sold the whole Day By Day set on eBay for peanuts. (funny enough the buyer was from Japan). So with the Day By Day set, I burnt a lot of money. First I wished I hadn't bought it, then I wished I hadn't sold it. That's life. ;)
Oh that is a sad story. 38 cds and you got peanuts.

I sold a lot of boots around 1987. I regretted it very quickly. However a few years ago I stumbled upon a treasure trove of hundreds of old vinyl Beatlegs in an unde4rground record store (literally underground!) So I grabbed a few then that I'd sold. And then in an extraordinary act of generosity, someone from half a world away sent me a bunch of the others... for nothing! It must have cost a lot to send them. People really are nice. :)

Oh yeah, and I think I've told this before, but one of the boots I re-bought in that underground store turned out to be one of my actual copies that I'd sold back in the 80s! I know this because I marked my copies. 30 years in the wilderness and then it found its way home. Remarkable huh?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ennolenno wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:00 am Oh no, this is really sad. What possessed you to sell your records that morning? :o
I was trying to raise the cash to buy The Beatles Broadcasts picture disc. That was the first bootleg album I ever saw. I was just a schoolkid, and the guy saw me coming. I can't remember what he gave me, but it was way under their value. It was literally ALL my Beatles lps. can't imagine what I was thinking.

Of course, then I had to buy all the albums again! :roll: It was a long time before I got them all back. Fortunately in 1986 just before the cds came out, EMI dumped all their exisiting Beatles albums into cutout bins for a few bucks each. So I got most of them then I think. Not the same though... the originals had precious memories attached.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
tdgrnwld

Post by tdgrnwld »

I don't know why, but I would really like to own the Black Album.
I won it on Ebay once only to be told that I couldn't buy it because the seller subsequently determined it was a bootleg.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I bought the Black Album way back in the early 80's along with a 2 record set of The Beatles in Vancouver '64. The Black Album was a three record set that came with a poster, kinda like the White Album did. Different poster, though. The Vancouver '64 records: the first record is press conferences and the first part of the radio broadcast play-by play. The second record has the second half of the radio broadcast along with the soundboard recording of the concert, sans I Want To Hold Your Hand because in their haste to GTFOOT, they didn't play it.
This was one of their, "If we didn't like you, we were done in 20 minutes," gigs.

The other record I bought along with those two was "For Badgeholders Only." A recording of Led Zeppelin at the Forum in '77.

If I'd had the presence of mind, I would've bought the Alpha-Omega pirate discs as they were for sale in my local record store in the early 70's. A crappy set, to say the least. But still collectible. I have an vinyl Alpha-Omega set that I bought about twenty years ago at Amoeba. But I'm unclear whether it's the first or second version of volume 2.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ziggy C wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:04 pm I bought the Black Album way back in the early 80's along with a 2 record set of The Beatles in Vancouver '64. The Vancouver '64 records: the first record is press conferences and the first part of the radio broadcast play-by play. The second record has the second half of the radio broadcast along with the soundboard recording of the concert, sans I Want To Hold Your Hand because in their haste to GTFOOT, they didn't play it.
This was one of their, "If we didn't like you, we were done in 20 minutes," gigs.
Yeah I heard that one when I was at school and found it absolutely fascinating. It was all recorded for posterity by one of the deejays you hear on the tape, Jack Cullen.
I won it on Ebay once only to be told that I couldn't buy it because the seller subsequently determined it was a bootleg.
Sheesh! :cry: I was smart enough to buy that one at the time, although I felt a little cheated because I already own Sweet Apple Trax Vol.1 The poster is just amazing: an alternate version of the white album poster collage on one side, and the text from the Let It Be book on the other. I couldn't hang up the poster though because it had Yoko naked on it! My mum wouldn't have liked that, and it'd probably have given me nightmares anyway.
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:32 am
ennolenno wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:00 am
Oh that is a sad story. 38 cds and you got peanuts.
Well, each volume was a double disc, so actually it were 76 cds. For peanuts! And the sad thing about it is: I'm allergic. :cry:
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

A 3/4 set of the 1964 15-inch store display bobblehead dolls (Ringo was missing) from an antique/junk store with an unusually good Beatles trove (which I bought the remainder of).