Things you wish too late you'd bought ...

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Things you wish too late you'd bought ...

Post by Lord Reith »

The Beatles Box: you couldn't escape this thing for about 10 years. It was always out on display everywhere. It never occured to me to buy it, but I wish now I had, because it's still the best overall official release of the stereo albums. Yes, I have all the lps, but I feel like I missed out.

The Beatles Box From Liverpool: that incredibly cool set of (I think 8) lps in a faux wooden crate. Great song selection, nice liner notes and fabulous covers.

The Beatles Christmas flexis: I thought at the time a few years ago this was a stupid release. Now I realise the audio is irrelevant. They just look great.

The vinyl singles collection: the one from a few years ago, for the same reason.
Mrbeatleg

Re: Things you wish too late you'd bought ...

Post by Mrbeatleg »

Oh well.....
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

When I was young I thought people who bought records to look at were mad.

Now I am one of them. I just spent over a hundred dollars on something I already have as a digital file, just because it is a cool artifact. Do I need it? No. Does it make me happy? Yes. And I don't know why.
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:57 am When I was young I thought people who bought records to look at were mad.

Now I am one of them. I just spent over a hundred dollars on something I already have as a digital file, just because it is a cool artifact. Do I need it? No. Does it make me happy? Yes. And I don't know why.
I relate to this so hard. This year alone, I've bought three NEMS boots, both Savage label LP's, various Decca/Sheridan/Star-Club vinyl releases, most of the 2012 LP reissues, and for an overwhelming decent price, the fabled BC-13 blue box. I don't need any of these, but after knowing about their existence for thirty or so years, they're so nice to look at in person.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

I wish I saw Eight Days a Week when it released in theaters. Seeing the "mostly full" Shea on the big screen would've been great.
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:57 am When I was young I thought people who bought records to look at were mad.
Yes, I know what you mean. Nowadays I'm one of them too. In the past years I completed my collection of all the German LP releases (most of them are 70s reprints), after already having the blue box and all the DMM releases from the end of the 80s. I love to hold the cover in hand, look at it, look at the labels, compare the labels to my discography books to see what release I have. And yes, I too love the smell of the records and covers. Is this perverse? It's the smell of an old record store. I love it.
Well, what I regret is not to have bought the 2014 Mono vinyl box back then. I have the stereo box (still sealed), but the Mono box in mint or still sealed is really too much for me now.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

My regret is a combo of the things I passed on, the the things I have since sold. I had the Beatles Box, EP collection and Singles collection from back in the 80's, but along with my bootlegs, I sold them 20 years ago. Short-term gain for long-term regret. In recent years, have since picked up another copy of the EP box, I bought the recent singles box, and found a set of Japanese Beatles box lp's without the box itself in a bargain on eBay. Also very happy I didn't pass on the mono LP box. My days being able to afford those things has passed so I'm glad I got them while I could.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ahh so it's not just me! In truth I had a very low income in the 1980s and would not have been able to afford any of the stuff if I'd wanted to. I remember talking to my record dealer and he was showing me the new Get Back Journals cd box. I thought it looked cool (in a film box with a strap around it) but asked him incredulously if he ever thought he'd sell it. I just couldn't imagine anyone paying hundreds for some mangy old Get Back outtakes in so-so quality. He looked at me with astonishment and said "Are you kidding? They all be gone by the end of the week!" And he was right. The best I could afford was the Yellow Dog releases which seemed to come out about one every four or five months.

By the time the three "Ultimate Collection" YD boxes came out I had more income and broke the bank to buy all three. But this should be the theme of a different thread: "Things You paid A Lot Of Money For And Wish You Hadn't". The outtakes were great but the rest was basically filler and I could have saved a grand if I'd just waited for a separate release of the outtakes. To this day they sit unloved in the bottom of a box, rarely seeing the light of day. Unlike records, cds are not objects of beauty for me. Originally they probably were, but once cd recorders and printers came along they lost their bloom. The fact that we still can't make records or record covers at home means that vinyl will always be special and collectable. Lots of younger people love it too with no regard for the audio quality just because of its coolness factor. If you want to own a physical representation of a piece of music you already have as a file, what are you going to buy: the cd or the record? No contest.

And a third thread should be titled: "Things You Got Rid Of That You wish You Hadn't". I sold all my first copies of the original albums to a 2nd hand bookshop one morning in 1982. They respresented my Beatles journey from when I first asked for Rock And Roll Music in Christmas 1976. The guy gave me just barely enough to buy the first bootleg lp I had ever seen across town, but when I went back it was already gone. I gradually replaced all the records (over a space of six years!) but to this day that is a deep wound, because those records given to me by my parents would have been among my most treasured possessions. :cry:
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

For the sake of fairness, at least some of those CD box sets from that era were just as lovely as having a vinyl album, particularly Artifacts 1-3 and the LP-sized Great Dane BBC Sessions set, all of which had exceptionally nice, thematic packaging and booklets.
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

How about 'Things you bought, you wished you hadn't'?
I've suffered from buyer's regret many times. 'Beatles on USB' springs to mind. Many bootlegs that turned out not to be what the promised, 'Beatles Foretaste LP' and others.

One thing I did not regret for long was the 'Tug of War - Super Deluxe' edition, which I managed to sell a couple of weeks after I had bought it for 2x the original price!
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.