So how do you play your audio/video?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
ianbuckers

Re: So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by ianbuckers »

rtbcIII wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:48 pm Micca G2 I use was 40 bucks. Plays everything I've thrown at it - audio, video, pics - via HDMI output.

Actually looking to upgrade, as there are now similarly-priced units with even better operational and video specs.

Sounds like you may be more focused on mobile/wireless apps. (btw - this unit can be used with a phone via same HDMI)
That's just a cheap piece of junk...good enough for everyday video maybe but I was talking about my audio listening...in best quality. True lossless. No wireless...that's no longer lossless. The products I cited are audiophile standard. On an audiophile perspective your little box would be laughed out of the room!
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

ianbuckers wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:00 amThat's just a cheap piece of junk...good enough for everyday video maybe but I was talking about my audio listening...in best quality. True lossless. No wireless...that's no longer lossless. The products I cited are audiophile standard. On an audiophile perspective your little box would be laughed out of the room!
Oh, you've actually compared them, Mr. Hostile Audiophile?

And what exactly is “everyday video”? Sounds like nothing you would be interested in.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

“Laughed out of the room” is a needlessly judgmental comment.
DeeBee

Post by DeeBee »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:13 pm “Laughed out of the room” is a needlessly judgmental comment.
"Audiophiles" are always pricks.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:13 pm “Laughed out of the room” is a needlessly judgmental comment.
Frankly, they had me at “cheap piece of junk.”
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

DeeBee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:22 pm
Now hold on - blanket statements like "'Audiophiles' are always pricks" aren't really fair.

Each prick should be judged individually, based on their specific shortcomings and/or overinflated sense of themselves.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

rtbcIII wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:35 pm
Now hold on - blanket statements like "'Audiophiles' are always pricks" aren't really fair.

Each prick should be judged individually, based on their specific shortcomings and/or overinflated sense of themselves.
Excuse me but you started with the judgmental comments not me. "But the Fiio is audio-only - and at 3-4x price?". I was responding to the point of the thread...saying what I use. The point of the thread isn't to tell me I am not using the right stuff...in your opinion. And as we see when I gave the same back you didn't like it. So if you don't want your regime questioned and critiqued don't do so to others.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

You are posting a comment like that here? Bit childish and probably offensive to a large chunk of the members on here.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

ianbuckers wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:43 pm
rtbcIII wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:35 pm

Excuse me but you started with the judgmental comments not me. "But the Fiio is audio-only - and at 3-4x price?". I was responding to the point of the thread...saying what I use. The point of the thread isn't to tell me I am not using the right stuff...in your opinion. And as we see when I gave the same back you didn't like it. So if you don't want your regime questioned and critiqued don't do so to others.
Judgmental?

-- Is Fiio audio-only?

YES.

-- Is it 3-4x the price?

In my brief search, that's an estimate. Indeed, some were 10x, but I dismissed those as outliers.

-- Did I say you were "not using the right stuff"?

NO. I merely said I was using a different unit that offered a range of video and image options in addition to audio, at a fraction of the cost. Of course, that must mean my unit is a "cheap piece of junk" that might be OK for "everyday video," but not extra-special people like you.

And again - you've actually compared the two units? They read the same files, but spit out different data?

Or is all this maybe a projection of buyer's remorse?
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I suppose the ire in this thread makes my blanket statement about media obsolescence seem, well, like a blanket statement. It's just my opinion, as I see how things seem to be going...as in, more and more into the cloud, and less and less tangible media kept at home in whatever format. With more folks, especially youth, more apt to stream their content rather than store it.

But I also see how easily we can stray from the essence of the initial question in this thread. A simple question, really... How do we play our stuff? So quickly we veer into potential for conflict; your system sucks. Oh yeah?? Well I'll give you a what for....

I find it interesting to read about the different approaches to listening/watching and enjoying this material. Maybe I'll try some, maybe not. But its cool to me to see the variety of approaches. From older, more durable, and more massive sound/vision systems, to much more compact, yet still awesome-sounding systems. There's no judgement needed. I think we all dig the Beatles. Bottom line.