WD super huge storage breakthru

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Darth Kybiel

Re: WD super huge storage breakthru

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I only warn of Seagate because I and around five others I know had Seagate 1 TB external drives that overheated to the point of fire or almost fire and I never had that with WD or Toshiba. My only complaint with WD is I only hook it up to the computer when I absolutely need to get something from it. All my WD 1 and 2 TB externals had issues with constantly rebooting after around a year of using them. Never had data loss like Seagate though. Out of all my external hard drives Seagate was the only one that crashed/had any data loss. Some Toshibas, you do want toremove any security and other prograns from them and reformat for a clean drive. Some will compress data for maximum storage spacxe and you'll find music and videos compressed to glitchy crap.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

I have:
2 Seagate 500GB (vertical)
1 Seagate 1.5TB (horizontal),
1 Seagate 2TB (vertical)
1 Toshiba 3TB (vertical)
2 Seagate 2TB portable...
The only problem is the Toshiba fell flat onto padded carpet a total drop of 20 inches...that was the end of that. It was full.
I was devastated. It took a long time to fill that thing and only a second to incur the permanence of it all. The storage space you're speaking of is massive. I don't want to risk failure in those quantities...but, I know eventually, they should all die by design(?).
I think it is very interesting that Darth warns of overheating since I have noticed the difference myself.
They work great but the vertical Seagate(2-500GB, 1-2TB) get noticeably warm, while the horizontal and portable models do not. That is odd, since the horizontal configuration seemed to be short lived. I would love to know what is the procedure for removing the Seagate software that you are warning us about. Is it a simple matter of deleting that file/folder or will it function normally without it? I only ever used it on the first one I had. But it started duplicating files and I had to buy the second one...stored one file of everything. This was done early on. But, I did it manually, and never even opened their folder. No more duplicates. So, do I delete the Seagate folder and carry on like before? I don't want to contribute to its demise.
Thank you all for the great convo!
KC
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

It's all a matter of how much you are willing to pay and what your computer can accept.

On my iMac (2017 edition, I know it's an old one...), I connected a Cal Digit Thunderbolt 3 hub that allows me to connect 2 chained LaCie 8 Tb Thunderbolt 3, one for my Time Machine backup, the other one for extra stuff. In this extra stuff, I have a Beatles DVD folder and also my iTunes folder (along with other things). Both the Beatles DVD folder and my iTunes folder are backed up weekly on their own portable 5 Tb Seagate drive.

Then I have LaCie 10 Tb Thunderbolt connected with a USB-C cable to my hub and used only for Beatles stuff other than DVD. This one contains 2 folders, Beatles and Beatles 2, each one also backup up weekly on their own portable 5 Tb Seagate drive.

So far everything works all right but I might one day have to rearrange the whole kit when my iMac will be replaced and no longer will accept my chained Thunderbolt 3. I am NOT looking for this of course.
Yves
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

I'm using Seagate 5T and 8T drives and I really love them.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

You can lay down the vertical drives, there is no reason for them to be vertical other than a marketing gimmick. I always lie them flat because having them vertical is just asking for trouble. One bump or tug on the cable and they topple over.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Also i've found that the large (4 & 5TB) portable drives sometimes can't draw enough power from a usb to operate properly. At first I heard clicking sounds and got errors and thought they were going bad, but it was that they couldn't get enough current. I wonder if some people have thought their drive had failed and binned it.

In the end, I had to make a special Y cable, one end of which goes to the portable drive, another goes to the usb of the device, and the third goes to a phone charger. All smiles now.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 pm Also i've found that the large (4 & 5TB) portable drives sometimes can't draw enough power from a usb to operate properly. At first I heard clicking sounds and got errors and thought they were going bad, but it was that they couldn't get enough current. I wonder if some people have thought their drive had failed and binned it.
I use 4Tb Seagates fed through USB and they work fine, clicking sounds mean DANGER. Could it be your USB port does not work properly?
pumma4

Post by pumma4 »

back in 2018 i had to update my WD HD from a 4 TB to an 8 TB..i also was advised to get 2 ..that way i always have a back up for everything i get..now im down to about 750 GB..so im gonna need to get 2 new WD HDs very soon..so anyone know how big the WD HDs are now and where i could get a good deal?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

zaval80 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:07 pm
I use 4Tb Seagates fed through USB and they work fine, clicking sounds mean DANGER. Could it be your USB port does not work properly?
It's my media player I was talking about actually. It's about 10 years old and from a time when portable hard drives were 500gb. It was able to cope with 1 and 2TB drives, but when it got to 4 and 5TB it started having problems. Any computer should be able to power these drives via usb, but other devices may just not have enough power. That's why I made the Y cable, which helps provide the extra power the bigger drives need to function properly. Looking online I found quite a lot of other people who have the same problem, trying to power 4tb drives from their tv or something like that.

The funny thing is, because of the USB standard, you can't buy powered USB Y cables. You have to make them yourself.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

pumma4 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:52 pm back in 2018 i had to update my WD HD from a 4 TB to an 8 TB..i also was advised to get 2 ..that way i always have a back up for everything i get..now im down to about 750 GB..so im gonna need to get 2 new WD HDs very soon..so anyone know how big the WD HDs are now and where i could get a good deal?
I think 12 is the biggest I've seen in store. I get nervous about buying destop drives online, knowing how rough the postal system is. I've bought the little portable ones online, but a destop drive needs to be handled carefully, and I know for a fact that at parcel delivery centres they throw, kick, drop and walk on top of parcels as they go along the conveyor belt.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene