Badfinger - Headfirst

General music and other artist discussions.
Kwai Chang

Re: Badfinger - Headfirst

Post by Kwai Chang »

@rtbcIII...
What happened to Badfinger?
Well, In the wee small hours some guy with brilliant baby blues
got off the train from Watertown and said "That's Life!?!"
Somebody screamed "no matter what"
Then he told them 'if you can't make it there, you can't make it any where"!
Some velvet morning when I'm straight...
Oops, Thatttt's Lee!
That's what all the people say!
Badfinger?
Bad hand!
But, I guess that's just the way the story goes.
Then , I guess you got what you deserved!
Who was that?
Who do you think? (My Baby Blues)
KC
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Dixie Dear.

The high part is always a killer in Badfinger tunes.
Even more difficult in Sweet songs.

Sorry, it's late here. But I've evolved into a night person over the last several thousand hours. No choice of my own. But then again, it is.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

The reason for that hypothetical satire was to explain that we used to have OTHER ARTISTS section with no limits.
It was not a very busy place, but it had its moments. Then this cat named Frank Sinatra showed up and there was more Sinatra than I had ever seen. I believe that was the general tone. I think we had three or four generous uploaders and they knew Sinatra the way we know Beatles. I believe it was then that things just flared up and there was too much to be had. And some of it might have been borderline for forum policy. And WilliamShears threw in the white towel. Everyone was taken by surprise. Whiplash effect and since then, new members try to share stuff there every once in a while. So that's why I said Sinatra was trying to start another brushfire. So our most recent member had wandered in and posted Badfinger...but the fire had not started but it was Sinatra that did them in. Indirectly. Carry on til tomorrow, there's no reason to look back.
Cause I'm a night owl, sleep all day long.
Oh man. Carly Simon just showed up.
She heard Badfinger was here.
And so it goes!
Nobody does it...better, worse, or OTHERwise.
KC
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

So, to be clear - you're blaming 30+ year old Blue Eyes boots, whose links were already dead and/or deleted for months? Alrighty then.

zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Bumblebee wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:24 pm All well worth acquiring, as is Dan Matovina’s book on the group. There’s a pdf for the latter to save shelling out a kings ransom on the out of print paper copy (it’s also available on kindle as well).
Thank you for alerting my attention to this possibility, that recent PDF was just what I needed (even if the picture quality is not good, but I have the 1st edition of the book, so not much of a problem). Good to know Dan is considering a new edition.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

rtbcIII wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:35 pm So, to be clear - you're blaming 30+ year old Blue Eyes boots, whose links were already dead and/or deleted for months? Alrighty then.
Actually, NO! I'm not interested in blame. I was trying to satirize the obvious: THERE's a defunct section of this forum that could bring the unsuspecting new members into harm's way. By warning those I see making mistakes...I am protecting the forum. I tried to be funny, but the joke got lost.
KC
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

JPM7756

Post by JPM7756 »

Bumblebee wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:24 pm A Purple Chick style anthology on Badfinger would be great, although Calico Skies effectively covered the Apple Years in his expanded album series a few years back. If you’ve got them and the Black and White Rainbows set then you’re pretty much most of the way there.
Does anyone know how to contact Calico Skies? I think I'm missing some of those expanded albums he put together.

Also what are some of the best Badfinger boots? I see there's one called Missing Finger that has the 1974 Headfirst mixes on it but I've never actually come across it.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

I don’t know whether Calico Skies has resurfaced after the old B/Z server crash, I’m not aware of him posting anything since the rejuvenation of the site here. I think he also took the Apple project to the next stage by expanding the post Apple Yoko albums.

Back to your question…. Possibly the best Badfinger collection is Without You on the Green Apples label, here’s a link to what it looks like:

hxxps://www.discjapan.com/product/badfi ... een-apple/

There are some hidden bonus tracks on disc two which I believe may be that early mix of Head First you talk about. Trying to pick up an original can be expensive and time consuming but it’s been cloned as this:

hxxps://www.discjapan.com/product/badfi ... stbo-3424/

Which is much cheaper and still available. I’ve bought stuff off Disc Japan in the past and can vouch for their reliability. If you search for Badginger releases on Disc Japan you’ll see that they have single disc releases by Beatfile which effectively collect the extra material Calico Skies put on his expanded albums. Beatfile similarly ripped off his Lomax and James Taylor expansions. Also have a dig around on Guitars 101, Badfinger are well served there (or I’ll served if you’re interested in copyright protection).

You might be lucky to get someone to post links for the stuff here in view of the embargo on non Beatles releases.
hkb

Post by hkb »

send me a pm
Attachments
Scan_20220619 (3).jpg
Scan_20220619 (3).jpg (534.42 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Scan_20220619 (3).jpg
Scan_20220619 (3).jpg (534.42 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Scan_20220619 (5).jpg
Scan_20220619 (5).jpg (754.49 KiB) Viewed 771 times