Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 3 & 4 and Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 5 & 6 - Two 2LP Of !988 Of The Swingin' Pig Records

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
Lord Reith

Re: Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 3 & 4 and Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 5 & 6 - Two 2LP Of !988 Of The Swingin' Pig Records

Post by Lord Reith »

Ha! Great story!

If I'd been there I would have done it with an accomplice using two miniature FM microphones. One guy on the left side and me on the right. Then a third accomplice parked in a car nearby with two FM radios plugged into a stereo cassette recorder.

In fact, that might even be how the eventual double lp was done? I remember buying it expecting to hear rustling and other covert noises but it was all quiet and in stereo without interruption! Made up for my disappointment and frustration at not having been able to go.
MarkRJones1970

Re: Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 3 & 4 and Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 5 & 6 - Two 2LP Of !988 Of The Swingin' Pig Records

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:36 am Made up for my disappointment and frustration at not having been able to go.
Nyah nyahh, ya nyah nyha! :D

Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:56 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:36 am Made up for my disappointment and frustration at not having been able to go.
Nyah nyahh, ya nyah nyha! :D
Cheeky!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

I took the time to tag these 3 sets.

So here they are. Link valid 4 weeks.

hxxps://we.tl/t-f5Jq4tlA9E
Yves
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you Yves for your tagging expertise....
musigny23

Post by musigny23 »

I quoted your post but didn't see the need to have all those pics duplicated. Giant quotes don't seem necessary. Just as a reply.

ANYWAY, thanks for your photos! I was so involved with recording I don't think we brought a camera. Great to see a few pics of that event. I still have the poster framed on my wall and the mug they were selling. That event was SO not expected on my second trip to Europe at age 24. It remains a peak moment for so many reasons. That I was able to figure out a way to get in before our charter flight departed a day or two later, that I got my gear in to STUDIO TWO!!! And captured all those never before heard takes. Such a charmed moment.

That was the very first time the public had ever been allowed in to EMI/Abbey Road. And it was quite a while before it happened again, and I managed to pull it off on day 2 of the 6 weeks it was on.

This may sound absurd but once all those outtakes and rarities appeared as direct line recordings on boots Ultra Rare Tracks 1 & 2 I think I let a Beatle collector friend have the tape. No one was interested in it at that point. Especially with the pauses for the spoken portions. But I wish I kept it. I would appreciate being able to hear it now. I have the double lp boot that came out in the late 80s I think at some point but the quality of the boot, while being unpaused and complete, it vastly poorer than my recording. Whoever did that was using some sort of Walkman with built in mics and auto level control. While I was glad to have a complete document, the quality was so inferior for the music, it was more of a collectors item. I still have it. I'm not 100% positive I don't have my tape somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I gave it to a British Beatle collector friend a few years later. It just seemed redundant once the archive quality boots arrived.

At that time I don't think FM microphone technology existed to do wireless to someone outside the building. As a concert taper since the 70s, I was always up on what was the newest tech for stealthy recording. I know many concert tape collectors and that sort of thing didn't arrive till the 90s. It was in the form of IEM captures, and even then it was very tricky and not bullet proof as far as getting a solid clear uninterrupted recording. The other thing was FM in the venue to devices for the hearing disabled, I forget what that is called. But the audio quality on those while being sbd was not as good as good microphones in a great spot.
musigny23

Post by musigny23 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:36 am Ha! Great story!

If I'd been there I would have done it with an accomplice using two miniature FM microphones. One guy on the left side and me on the right. Then a third accomplice parked in a car nearby with two FM radios plugged into a stereo cassette recorder.

In fact, that might even be how the eventual double lp was done? I remember buying it expecting to hear rustling and other covert noises but it was all quiet and in stereo without interruption! Made up for my disappointment and frustration at not having been able to go.
I did just touch on this in my previous post but I'll say again that while that was technically possible as in some sort of very specialized custom built device, a la James Bond, it wasn't a thing at the time in concert taping circles. It definitely was not how the boot was captured. I'm guessing the person or persons who did that went a few weeks after me and had to deal with much more experienced security. By that time a very cleverly hidden Walkman with no external mics, extra cassette or batteries was about all you could hope to get in. I was very lucky to be going in on day 2.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

musigny23 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:10 am
I quoted your post but didn't see the need to have all those pics duplicated. Giant quotes don't seem necessary. Just as a reply.

ANYWAY, thanks for your photos! I was so involved with recording I don't think we brought a camera. Great to see a few pics of that event. I still have the poster framed on my wall and the mug they were selling. That event was SO not expected on my second trip to Europe at age 24. It remains a peak moment for so many reasons. That I was able to figure out a way to get in before our charter flight departed a day or two later, that I got my gear in to STUDIO TWO!!! And captured all those never before heard takes. Such a charmed moment.

That was the very first time the public had ever been allowed in to EMI/Abbey Road. And it was quite a while before it happened again, and I managed to pull it off on day 2 of the 6 weeks it was on.

This may sound absurd but once all those outtakes and rarities appeared as direct line recordings on boots Ultra Rare Tracks 1 & 2 I think I let a Beatle collector friend have the tape. No one was interested in it at that point. Especially with the pauses for the spoken portions. But I wish I kept it. I would appreciate being able to hear it now. I have the double lp boot that came out in the late 80s I think at some point but the quality of the boot, while being unpaused and complete, it vastly poorer than my recording. Whoever did that was using some sort of Walkman with built in mics and auto level control. While I was glad to have a complete document, the quality was so inferior for the music, it was more of a collectors item. I still have it. I'm not 100% positive I don't have my tape somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I gave it to a British Beatle collector friend a few years later. It just seemed redundant once the archive quality boots arrived.

At that time I don't think FM microphone technology existed to do wireless to someone outside the building. As a concert taper since the 70s, I was always up on what was the newest tech for stealthy recording. I know many concert tape collectors and that sort of thing didn't arrive till the 90s. It was in the form of IEM captures, and even then it was very tricky and not bullet proof as far as getting a solid clear uninterrupted recording. The other thing was FM in the venue to devices for the hearing disabled, I forget what that is called. But the audio quality on those while being sbd was not as good as good microphones in a great spot.
We were just on a family day out to London, along with my cousin Hayden who tagged along. I remember badgering my Dad to try and see if we could get tickets so we went along about 1pm and, surprisingly, there were still tickets for the 19:30 showing so we bought the tickets, did some sight seeing, then myself, Hayden and Dad went back for 7pm while Mum and my 2 sisters tried to keep themselves busy until it finished and we got the train back to Northampton.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK