Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Sn00ker

Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by Sn00ker »

Does anyone know the location of Capture 12 at the following link?

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/magical-mystery-tour/

I've been looking on and off for years but cannot match it to anywhere in Devon or Cornwall, or West Malling. Someone must recognise the town visible on the horizon.
Doug

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by Doug »

I don't know the answer, but, for what it's worth, I put it on day 13 (October 1st) when pick-up shots were filmed. It's staged (like the shot of Neil watching the bus pass by) and seems to be filmed in a similarly hilly environment.
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Doug wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:45 pm I don't know the answer, but, for what it's worth, I put it on day 13 (October 1st) when pick-up shots were filmed. It's staged (like the shot of Neil watching the bus pass by) and seems to be filmed in a similarly hilly environment.
I would love to read your breakdown of the shoot, Doug, if you're willing to share it here.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Many thanks for the info Doug. Yes, I suspected it was a staged shot to fill gaps which possibly puts it around West Malling?

Considering the bus must have been followed by a press entourage the whole time there's very little detailed information about the route they took.

There's also a location in the outtakes I cannot locate despite there being a good view of a quite distinctive town. It's where the camera moves all the way to the back of the bus and someone has a hand puppet.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I have that as slate 52 (following slate 50, which is the fish and chips shop). Where it is... I don't have a clue. What's frustrating is that a street sign can be seen at the beginning of slate 53... but I, for one, can't read anything on it because it's just too blurry.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Found the "hand puppet" town, it's Mere, Wiltshire.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Great find it's almost magic !So can we expect more sites to be uncoverd? Is is a 'project', The tour is full of 'places to be found' .

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

The capture in my initial post is the one I've tried to find for ages. I agree with Doug that it's likely to be a 'fill in' shot done at the late stages of filming, although it does look like Devon/Cornwall.
Also keen to find The Swan pub location from the dining scene outtake, which seems to be 3 locations - the bus pulls into the Wee Waif pub (near Reading), the passengers enter The Swan pub (unknown location), and the interior is the Atlantic Hotel at Newquay.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I think this shot is from inside the Swan Pub.

John's dressed the same as he is during the fish 'n' chips sequence, except he's moved the position of his button. This matches a photo from the November '67 Beatles Monthly, where you can see that it's clearly a pub they're in. Jeni Crowley, the girl shown with him, describes this: "one stop was at a country pub. George and I stood with John, shared his cheese and dipped it in tomato sauce...," so presumably that country pub was the Swan. Unfortunately, this doesn't get us one bit further figuring out exactly where the pub was.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Can anyone post a better screenshot of Capture 12? the reel streets one is bit murky (I don't have the DVD).
Also a good screen shot of them entering The Swan, there may be some visible clues.
Although it's quite possible The Swan no longer exists or is no longer recognisable. I suppose we are looking for somewhere between Wiltshire and London, assuming the outtakes are chronological.