Rooftop Concert on Spotify/Apple for 24 hours

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Doug

Re: Rooftop Concert on Spotify/Apple for 24 hours

Post by Doug »

I wasn't calling you anything, just trying to explain why some people still value the vinyl because... well, you asked. :D
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

I know they're not there, but I've gotten so used to the Nagra beeps/fuzz over the years that it's almost strange hearing this without them I feel like I still hear them in my mind, even though they are clearly not there!

Anyone else hear phantom Nagra beeps :-)
jpgrjd

Post by jpgrjd »

Just listened to it twice. Even on my computer with cheap speakers stereo sounds great.

Keep expecting the roadside talk to cut in. I suppose waiting 50 years plus is better than never.#
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

Doug wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:40 pm I wasn't calling you anything, just trying to explain why some people still value the vinyl because... well, you asked. :D
I understand that and no offense was taken or implied. I was just saying we all have our "likes" or preferences and that is fantastic. I consider you an expert and scholar on all things Beatles... did I mention I have most of your books as well (hell, my copy of DDSI is worn out and falling apart).

Like I said,,, keep up the good work and might even order your last issue (plug, plug,plug)!
skynet

Post by skynet »

DELETED
Last edited by skynet on Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
skynet

Post by skynet »

skynet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:58 pm
beatlbay wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:26 pm
Doug wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:11 pm

Let me try to explain. At least vinyl (original vinyl, that is - not some modern imitation of it pressed from digital files) exhibits the sound that the original producer and artists approved.

"24 bit digital," "Atmos," "5.1" etc. just offers an outlet for self-important, talentless "engineers" to f*ck around with music that people love and make it sound worse by brickwalling it, pumping up the bass, and any number of other sonic indignities, all the while proclaiming that they're doing so to make it sound "more modern," but really just justifying their own egos and paychecks.

This isn't applicable to every case, of course (I thought the 5.1 mix of "Pet Sounds," for example, sounded great), but seems to be far more common than not in the last couple of decades.
Sorry Mr. 910, LOVE your magazine by the way - a friend would get it for me from a NYC record store back in the day - I even have some of the "Illegal Beatles"... anyway, while I agree a lot of the remasters are brickwalled and sound squashed, for myself, I love the 5.1 mixes on MY highend stereo. I understand the artist original vision and all that crap, but I believe today's technology should be and needs to be taken advantage of. Just look at some of the wonderful work people on this site are doing with remixes and remasters. Now, I do agree, in the wrong hands, remasters or mixes can be bad, but overall, with a few miscues, the Beatles and Lennon 5.1 Bluray mixes are excellent to my ears. Paul's few Bluray mixes are enjoyable as well, but he is too inconsistant putting the things out much less providing outtakes on the CDs. And, don't get me started on that over priced abortion the Harrisons put out last year... very disapointing.

But I degress once again... what is nice about today is that you can have your original vinyl and I can have my hard-drives and disks full of goodies. We both can appreciate great music in any fashion we find appealing to our individual ears. You can call me crazy and sonically imature while I call you old and antiquated, but in the end we both find what we are looking for in the music regardless of the medium we prefer.

BTW, I liked the Pet Sounds as well as some Rolling Stones mixes I have come across...

Keep up the good work....
right on point Sr. could not agree more! (BTW- had you ever heard the DTS mix of "Street Fighting Man"? - It is just plain kick ass :) )

Regards
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Paul's bass guitar is WAY too loud. Even on Naked it wasn't nearly that loud. What's going on there?
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:25 pm Paul's bass guitar is WAY too loud. Even on Naked it wasn't nearly that loud. What's going on there?
Of course it’s too loud…seems to be a Giles Martin pattern…I always found it odd that the drums and bass have been mixed louder in all of these remixes…I have a theory on this but will not say it here because I might get pounced on..
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Ah, well...at least the concert, from a Nagra source, doesn't have any reverb added: it's as dry as the performance setting or situation allowed.

("Rockin' The Row" is a good version of the Nagra recording of the complete concert, methinks...!!!).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
tilman

Post by tilman »

Are there any advices how many db bass and drums should be lowered. With todays technology you are able to split the music in different stems and recombine it. Thanks in advance Stefan