Is your collection complete?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
FileUnderT

Is your collection complete?

Post by FileUnderT »

Have you come to a point where you feel you have all in your collection you need? I haven’t got everything but I’m quite happy with what has been made available on the forum and what I’ve downloaded.
harrythebannister

Re: Is your collection complete?

Post by harrythebannister »

Every time you think you have everything, something like the material posted the other day surfaces. So I don’t think our collections will ever be complete.
FileUnderT

Post by FileUnderT »

So true, there have been many mouth watering titles added recently.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

I usually ignore the fan remixes of existing material unless there's one that stands out or improves an old source so apart from the new discoveries I'd say mines mostly complete.
I'm not against fan based demixing refrazzling or whatever you want to label it but you've got to draw the line somewhere otherwise you end up with far too many derivatives which potentially eliminate the very core sources they came from and ends up becoming a false "newly discovered" core source.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Megazeti wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:44 am I usually ignore the fan remixes of existing material unless there's one that stands out or improves an old source so apart from the new discoveries I'd say mines mostly complete.
I'm not against fan based demixing refrazzling or whatever you want to label it but you've got to draw the line somewhere otherwise you end up with far too many derivatives which potentially eliminate the very core sources they came from and ends up becoming a false "newly discovered" core source.
I somewhat tend to agree with Megazeti where fan remixes are concerned… they definitely have their place within the pecking order, and I believe when done well (as most here are) they can really open up some fascinating insights into the music and provide a new and fresh listening experience.

But I keep them segregated from the truly “original” material in my collection; they have a valuable place there, but the true gems are the original source bootlegs.

I think our upper echelon mixers’ contributions here are invaluable, but with the advancements in technology day-by-day, month-by-month, year-by-year, new remixers are constantly popping up. I’m not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but it could easily escalate to a ‘quantity over quality’ scenario if unchecked.

Again, not bashing ANYONE or their admirable efforts (utmost respect for our remixers— remixing is CERTAINLY something that I myself don’t have the talent to do)… just thinking out loud among like-minded friends (and I’m grateful to everyone’s generosity in sharing)!
—Keith
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Megazeti wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:44 am I usually ignore the fan remixes of existing material unless there's one that stands out or improves an old source so apart from the new discoveries I'd say mines mostly complete.
"which potentially eliminate the very core sources they came from and ends up becoming a false 'newly discovered' core source"

I worry about this too.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

This basic question is the motivating factor behind the beatlesdb.com site. I've been collecting for about 30 years now, and my time/motivation has varied. Over this time, I haven't been 'all-in all the time' so when I come back after a few months or years to see what new has popped up, it's been a challenge to understand what's new/upgraded at any given moment in time. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who has dealt with this.

This is why the site is built with recording events as the foundation and not just track listings. When the track lists go in later this year, each track will be synced to a recording. This will then make it much easier to compare a collection to available recordings.

I'm a bit of a data-nut, so if you've created an account and checked in the releases you have, you'll be able to access reports that show your collection is xx% complete vs all available recordings, for example. When a new track list is added to the site that has a recording that is not in a collection, the site would send a notification to the user to let them know about it, if they opt-in to that feature.