Extracting the channels from the surround mixes on Bluray

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
millerTEK

Extracting the channels from the surround mixes on Bluray

Post by millerTEK »

the surround mixes were made possible from having the original multitrack channels and their discreet recordings still available. AS we know, these channels were used for overdubs and mixdowns in the song creation process - and eventually everything was mixed down at the levels desired to a STEREO 2 channel master (for the later Beatles albums that used 8 track systems). So having the original tracks available allowed Giles Martin with today's technology to create surround sound mixes such as the presented DTS 5.1 (6 channel) and ATMOS (8 channel) of these Beatles albums.

with these surround mixes it's possible those channels containing overdubs (SI) now received their own playback channel in the 6 and 8 channel surround spectrum (instead of being mixed down to stereo 2 channel). Therefore, orchestral or strings overdubs now can be isolated cleanly without having to use a vocal remover or other technology to remove artifacts form the stereo mix. Different vocal parts, solos, etc might also be given more isolation in the surround mixes.

Let me give you a simple example: Martha My Dear
WE know the original recording was Paul on piano and was featured on the White Album Box.
Then we know a few days later, George Martin booked a strings and brass for the accompanying overdub.
Then finally there were some vocal, claps, and bass overdubs to finish it out.
So when you play the SURROUND MIX of Martha My Dear, you can hear the Paul, Piano, and bass, percussion in the front - and the rear channels are playing the strings and brass overdubs very cleanly with little to no bleed from the front tracks.

SO now - I decided I wanted to add to my boxed set of outtakes they released and wanted to take those rear tracks of the strings and brass and mix a stereo track of the overdub and name it: 68-10.04d - Martha My Dear (Take 1)(SI-Strings & Brass)

I found I could do this in cases where overdubs are cleanly isolated in one of the surround channels of the new surround mixes.

For Abbey Road - I could isolate more orchestral overdubs to go with the Something orchestral overdub featured on the set. That day, Here Comes The Sun, Golden Slumbers, the End, etc got orchestral overdubs, too but not released on the box like form Something. Well, I found the surround mixes contained very clean presentations of those overdubs that I could extract and mix together a stereo track to supplement the released material.

SO yes, there is a way to extract each separate channel of the surround mixes into their own mono WAV file. Then you can produce your own stereo mix of any song. I chose songs that exposed specific documented overdubs to create and add to my outtakes collection.
Now with the LIB box - we know Phil Spector added overdubs to create his LIB album - and I want to extract those isolation's in the cleanest form. In the past, people have tried vocal removal tools, etc to do this, but it not clean and can only do so much with a stereo mix.

SO in my next post - I'll provide some instruction on how to extract the tracks from the surround mixes IF YOU OWN the box set blurays, etc.
powerPC

Re: Extracting the channels from the surround mixes on Bluray

Post by powerPC »

Very cool info, thank you MillerTEK 😎
—Keith
millerTEK

Re: Extracting the channels from the surround mixes on Bluray

Post by millerTEK »

HOW TO DO THE SINGLE CHANNEL EXTRACTIONS!

Yes, it was late last night, so I saved this post for today.

First of all, I'm posting how I DO THE EXTRACTIONS successfully. I am not familiar with your computer knowledge or computer type and configs, so I cannot offer you support if this does not work for you. You'll have to use this info and do your own troubleshooting and research to find your own way to do this.

--------------------
my computer has a Bluray reader/burner, so obviously that is a necessary hardware requirement on your computer.

--------------------
I installed DVD Audio Extractor (you can find the URL doing a search). Product is free for 30 days and it DOES read Blu rays.
The program scans the BD and shows the DTS (6 channel) and ATMOS (8 channel) track selections.
You will select what tracks you want to extract and select to save each file as it's own WAV file.
SO basically each track will save to 6 or 8 single files for each channel to the location you choose.

---------------------
A word about BD protection:
Yes these discs are COPY PROTECTED and if you get an error form DVD Audio Extractor that the disc is protected, then you have to download a decrypter program to run WITH the extractor. I cannot make recommendations, but they are readily available.

FREE TIP! I discovered something interesting about the Abbey Road and LIB blurays - if you SHARE the BD DRIVE out on your network, and go to ANOTHER COMPUTER and install DVD Audio Extractor on it, and then find the Bluray share you created on your network and MAP IT TO A NETWORK DRIVE (Z: for example) - I discovered the extractor program will find the BD disc's folders and scan the discs without a copy protection error!. Really kool - maybe because the protection is in the physical disc, so when you share out the BD drive - your other computer reads the FILES only. Who knows.

That's it! Once you have all your MONO WAV files of each channel of the track - you can load them into a mixing program like Audition, OSD, etc and mix the items you want and export them to normal 2 track stereo tracks in WAV, flac or mp3.

have fun!