Sony Is Reportedly Gradually Stopping Production Of Blu-Ray Discs

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Ziggy C

Re: Sony Is Reportedly Gradually Stopping Production Of Blu-Ray Discs

Post by Ziggy C »

Sony is saving face in their redress. But the writing has been on the wall for nearly a decade:
Physical media is on the way out. Many forms are already reduced to niche collectors. Vinyl, cassette, DAT, CD, DVD, all reduced to a specific consumer market. None are mass produced anymore. That BluRay is next has been obvious for the last couple years since fewer and fewer SDE's include them.

Streaming has become the new source for mass consumption. (And everything LR has said about this conundrum, too.)

Once again....to quote a popular catchphrase here....If you see something, save something.

-Z
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I really am apalled by the "decluttering" phenomena that has swept through Western culture in the last 10 years or so. I mean, there's nothing wrong with tossing out old chairs and whatever, but people are taking it to extremes. There's a subset of people who have this mad idea that we should just live in a bare room and have our entire lives - photos, documents, books, films, albums - online. Apart from the fact that the online world is as nebulous and impermanent as a morning fog, I hate walking into someone's house and seeing NO photos on the mantlepiece, no records or books on a shelf, no sign of life experiences and memories. And when they're finally old and all their family photos have been lost in a computer glitch and they have to pay $2 a track to stream music they once owned, they are going to be very sad and regretful. Worse than that, they will be beholden to someone else for all that they once had themselves. I don't want my life to be owned and controlled by some corporation, no thankyou.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

I hate the trend of using books as decoration and having them with the pages facing forward because the spines of the books are "visual noise".

No. They're the opposite of noise. They're information. LITERALLY. They freakin' tell you what book It is!!
Kando

Post by Kando »

:o :shock:
Spaniard in da Works wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:25 am I hate the trend of using books as decoration and having them with the pages facing forward because the spines of the books are "visual noise".

No. They're the opposite of noise. They're information. LITERALLY. They freakin' tell you what book It is!!
Good god, when did that become a thing?! :o :shock:
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

whad you expect from the gutter politics of consumer choice of optical ownership?
an announcement of the new or in this case end of a product
IT'S A SONY!
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Martin85 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:32 am We'll always have the torrent sites.
And they will resemble RAF logo!
(Targets)
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Spaniard in da Works wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:25 am I hate the trend of using books as decoration and having them with the pages facing forward because the spines of the books are "visual noise".

That's typical modern madness. Astounding but not surprising.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

So how about studio tapes stored tail out. Maybe I'll store my vhs tapes at the end so long as I can wait a minute to wind it back to the start¿ maybe those rental tapes not wound back were telling me something important about safe archival storage?¿?
Last edited by Megazeti on Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Caceres

Post by A-Caceres »

...wait.. WHAT?

I do have cousins that were shocked to see that I print the photos and would put them into photo albums. Unfortunately (or fortunately to them) that I'm the one who keeps photos and videos from the past. They don't have their photos of their youth due to a computer crash or just deleting photos from their phones so they can take new photos. Most of my music collection are not online on streaming services. The ones that are are usually "remastered" brickwalled audio.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:21 pm I really am apalled by the "decluttering" phenomena that has swept through Western culture in the last 10 years or so. I mean, there's nothing wrong with tossing out old chairs and whatever, but people are taking it to extremes. There's a subset of people who have this mad idea that we should just live in a bare room and have our entire lives - photos, documents, books, films, albums - online. Apart from the fact that the online world is as nebulous and impermanent as a morning fog, I hate walking into someone's house and seeing NO photos on the mantlepiece, no records or books on a shelf, no sign of life experiences and memories. And when they're finally old and all their family photos have been lost in a computer glitch and they have to pay $2 a track to stream music they once owned, they are going to be very sad and regretful. Worse than that, they will be beholden to someone else for all that they once had themselves. I don't want my life to be owned and controlled by some corporation, no thankyou.
Try having a step-daughter named Eva Notty and her 30-year accomplice Maia Davis!
Jeeeeeeezus!
A new mindset?
Thieves, Tramps and Gypsies according to Bonnie Jo Mason!
Half-FREED!
Draw your own conclusions!
Over!
KC