'Girls don't play guitars!' The Liverbirds' story (BBC WORLD SERVICE, 17 April 2024)

General music and other artist discussions.
PanKotskiy

'Girls don't play guitars!' The Liverbirds' story (BBC WORLD SERVICE, 17 April 2024)

Post by PanKotskiy »

I have to admit I knew nothing about the band. A well-made documentary that adds more context to the music scene of the time.

BBC summary:
"Mary McGlory and Sylvia Saunders grew up in 1960s Liverpool when the music scene in the city was thriving. They dreamt of playing music themselves and with two others, formed their own band called The Liverbirds. As an all-female rock'n'roll group they defied 1960s sexism – even from a young John Lennon. Breaking new ground for women in music, they toured the world and played alongside musicians like Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones. They have written a book called The Liverbirds: Our life in Britain’s first female rock‘n’roll band."
Presenter: Emily Webb

Link to listen
Rickenbacker325

Re: 'Girls don't play guitars!' The Liverbirds' story (BBC WORLD SERVICE, 17 April 2024)

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Their clips keep popping up in my YouTube feed…definitely an intriguing bunch right there…and they could play…very well at that. I don’t know what’s in that merseyside water but they ought to start marketing it
zaval80

Re: 'Girls don't play guitars!' The Liverbirds' story (BBC WORLD SERVICE, 17 April 2024)

Post by zaval80 »

Uh...Mersey trouts? :lol: