Mucho Mungo / I'll Give You A Ring

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
onemojofilter

Mucho Mungo / I'll Give You A Ring

Post by onemojofilter »

Not sure where else to post this, but wondering if anyone was thinking along the same lines. Listening to Lennon's "Mucho Mungo" the other day made me suddenly think of McCartney's "I'll Give You A Ring". They aren't the same but they are reminiscent of each other, as if both of them went away with the same kernel of an idea and went in completely different directions on their own.

If I'm wrong correct me, but I think McCartney wrote "Ring" first around 1972 and then made a studio recording sometime around 1974 or so - then the Lost Weekend happens and John and Paul are in the same room together. Could Paul have shown his demo to John, and could John have taken some of the melody and modified it sufficiently to make it a different song?
My opinions are my own, but, my dog tends to agree with everything I say.
beatlesondvd

Re: Mucho Mungo / I'll Give You A Ring

Post by beatlesondvd »

I think Mucho Mungo was written in late 1973, before they met in L.A.
onemojofilter

Post by onemojofilter »

beatlesondvd wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:32 am I think Mucho Mungo was written in late 1973, before they met in L.A.
Ah, OK, then it's my misunderstanding. Thought it was an interesting coincidence though.
My opinions are my own, but, my dog tends to agree with everything I say.
El_Garnatí

Post by El_Garnatí »

onemojofilter wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:24 am Not sure where else to post this, but wondering if anyone was thinking along the same lines. Listening to Lennon's "Mucho Mungo" the other day made me suddenly think of McCartney's "I'll Give You A Ring". They aren't the same but they are reminiscent of each other, as if both of them went away with the same kernel of an idea and went in completely different directions on their own.

If I'm wrong correct me, but I think McCartney wrote "Ring" first around 1972 and then made a studio recording sometime around 1974 or so - then the Lost Weekend happens and John and Paul are in the same room together. Could Paul have shown his demo to John, and could John have taken some of the melody and modified it sufficiently to make it a different song?
Somewhere I read that the author of the song is John Lennon & Phil Spector.